I hear ya don't want to drink the Tequilla here but what kind of FOOD

Buddyjay16

do you WANT to try. Someone told us when we were here 10 years ago not to eat anything with veggies as they wash them in their own water (but said Hard Rock was okay because they didn't)

How true is that and do you have anything to recommend? TIA!

Chuleta Yucateca - Pork chop marinated in red adobado then grilled and smothered with sautéed onions

Cochinita Pibil - pork marinated in a sauce of achiote, natural orange juice and spices, wrapped in fresh banana leaves, and slowly steamed to perfection.

Frijole con Puerco - A delicious local dish normally served on Mondays consisting of soupy black beans cooked with chunks of pork. It's served with chopped radish, avacado, onion and cilantro as garnish and steamed rice.

Mojo de Ajo - fish, coch (konk) or shrimp served in butter and garlic sauce

Platano Frito - greasy but tasty fried bananas

Queso Relleno - seasoned, ground pork/beef formed into

a round "loaf", completely surrounded in softened Queso

Gallo and then wrapped in cheesecloth for cooking. Served in

round slices covered in cream sauce.

IMO, as big of a business as tourism has become, and now that so much is known about the things in the water that make (some) people so ill, I'd imagine that most places know to use purified water to wash their veggies. To me, it sounds like some sort of urban legend at this point.

sopa de lima - a lime chicken soup.

Pollo Pibil (pork and fish are also cooked in this style). Pibil is a rub made with achiote, a red mayan spice, and sour orange. The meat is usually wrapped in a banana leaf and grilled.

Chicken Tikin'Xik (also comes in pork and fish) mayan BBQ, similar to pibil.

Mayan Coffee - coffee w/xtabentun and I forget what else. : )

:cool:

Mexican Pasteries - go to a local grocery store or a panaderia. You grab a pair of tongs and a silver tray. Put the pieces you want on the tray then head to a cash register.

I actually eat cooked vegetables, and definitely enjoy some fresh fruits. The trouist areas of the yucatan are perfectly safe to eat & drink at, IMHO.

Well everyone is addressing your foods well enough with lots of suggestions for regional dishes you'll love.

I've lived on this island nearly 10 years and I can tell you EVERY restaurant and home washes vegetables well and uses disinfectant drops that kill bacteria that cause stomach problems.

If you develop some difficulty, it is almost certain you did NOT get it in a Cozumel restaurant because they failed in sanitary measures.

On the subject of Tequila. Who told you not to drink Tequila in Mexico? Mexico is the ONLY country where tequila is made and it's a national product that is controlled very well. You'll never find tequila made any place outside of Mexico.

You'll find this interesting, I'm sure...

http://www.itequila.org/

If you wish to try different tequila drinks, there is no better place in the World than Mexico and the Mexican Yucatan lives on tourism, they go way out of their way to be sure you don't get sick on anything except over indulgence.

I believe Cozumel Insider offers a Tequila Tour that might be worth looking into. The next person that tells you not to drink Tequila in Mexico, you'll laugh in their face and ask them where they recommend drinking Mexican made tequila?

Archived