Travel Insurance

candlelady

I have no experience with this plan but if I read the website correctly it is underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty, which is AM Best rated A- or excellent. (I got that info from the insuremytrip.com website, which shows the rating for insurance companies on its products. Stonebridge underwrites M H Ross/Global Alert product on that site. I don't have experience with that product either.) If you don't hear from someone else who has experience, the best you can do is check the rating on the insurance company, read the plan carefully, and maybe call the number on the website and ask some questions about the product, how to file a claim, etc. It looks like STA Travel is geared to student travel but it clearly says the insurance is for all ages. It looks like a good deal.

The kids have used STA for student trips abroad and have purchased their insurance (which is required for some of the trips). Knock on wood, they never had to find out how good the insurance was.

One thing to check out-you will probably have to make a phone call-is the medical insurance PRIMARY and what are the pre existing conditions?

Primary insurance is what you want. Otherwise, you have to turn everything in to your primary insurance carrier, then whatever didn't get paid by your own insurance will be paid by the travel policy.

Make sure you check your own insurance for coverage outside the US. Ships in the ocean outside territorial waters AND any place in Canada may not be covered by your own insurance. And if you have a private policy, your insurance premiums may raise or the company may cancel you if you have a large claim.

Check out the pre existing conditions clause-not so much for you but for immediate family.

Someone posted on another thread-loosing your cruise fare is a bummer, but not financially devastating. Getting sick/hurt outside the US and not having proper medical coverage could impact your financial health for the rest of your life.

I personally like Travelex Lite.

Archived