canopy tour, ocho rios, Jamaica

lilsis21

We decided to book our excursions on line prior to sailing so we could get what we wanted. One thing we booked is the canopy tour in Ocho Rios,

of those of you who have done this excursion is it fun, exciting or just scary. One of my sisters has now informed us she is somewhat afraid of heights. she still plans on doing it, she is just very nervous about stepping off the platform of course. How adventorous is the excursion? from what I have read on it, it doesn't seem like a real scary thing to me.

We sail on the Conquest (Feburary 11, 2007) and on the Rhapsody of the Seas May 27, 2007. We plan are doing the Canopy Tour with our friends In February and will do it again in May when we sail with the Kids. Even though I have not done this I am "VERY" excited in doing it. I've heard nothing but Positive comments. I read a Cruise Critic Form a few months ago and they said they Too were nervious..... but after they did their 1 transit they were Hooked on it. It was a experience of their lives. So...... as for me & our friends and our kids....... we can't wait to experience this excurision.

Enjoy :)

yes, we are also very excited about it. I have wanted to do this for a long time. Looks like a lot of fun. My sister won't back out, she is just a little nervous about what to expect. I told her, when your life is over do you want to be well preserved and bored or do you want to slide in on your back side and say wow, life was one heck of a ride. lol

I am not big on adventure but this is one thing I really want to do.

This is about as adventorous as is gets for me. I have heard nothing but positive comments also, so i am not worried.

We decided to book our excursions on line prior to sailing so we could get what we wanted. One thing we booked is the canopy tour in Ocho Rios,

of those of you who have done this excursion is it fun, exciting or just scary. One of my sisters has now informed us she is somewhat afraid of heights. she still plans on doing it, she is just very nervous about stepping off the platform of course. How adventorous is the excursion? from what I have read on it, it doesn't seem like a real scary thing to me.

Did this excursion in Jan 06 and it was a lot of fun. Definitely not stressful as you are well strapped in and the excursion crew does an excellent job of ensuring you are all set before you leave each platform. Besides being a fun and different thing the ride up to the zip line area is an experience in itself and you get to see parts of Jamaica that you probably would not ordinarily see. Would recommend it in a moment and once you get started you won't even be aware of the heights. As a couple of senior citizens we were by far the oldest on the excursion but it was "a piece of cake". Have fun and it will provide good table talk when you get back. They take excellent pictures and really are not that expensive as they put them on a CD so you don't absolutely need to carry a camera although most folks did. Have a "small" fanny pack to hold stuff.

We did this excursion a few weeks ago. It was AWESOME. Is it scary? At first it is - but once you do the first traverse and you've got your adrenaline pumping, it's so cool. There is a thread or two about this tour in the "ports of call" section, you should check those out too. =)

I can tell you that they guides are VERY safety concious. You wear a very snug harness and helmet. You are hooked to a safety line at all times on the platforms, unless you are hooked to the cables. Getting off the platforms is super easy as well. If you aren't adventurous enough to leap off to get a bit more speed, you pretty much just act like you are sitting down and step forward. You are hooked on to TWO cables - one above the other. I never felt unsafe at any time, even flying through the air. I think there are 4 guides that go with you, one to latch you in and send you off, one to catch you at the other end, help you up onto the platform and unhook you, then the same set up for the next set of traverses.

I hope that you really enjoy this excursion. It was one of the best things we did on our trip.

I just booked this very excursion last night for our Mariner cruise (Feb. 11). It's the only excursion I'm going to book through RCCL only because you can't book it on your own.

I'm so looking forward to it! After seeing it done many times on Amazing Race, I wanted to try it for myself!

Your sister will be just fine! There was one guy in our group (not with our group of friends, but part of our zip group) who was TERRIFIED. After the first zip, even HE was having a great time.

No worries at all...you'll have a total blast.

And yes, the ride to and from is an excursion in and of itself...much more frightening than the zips. LOL

T

We did this excursion back in May, 06 in Ocho Rios when we sailed on the Explorer of the Seas....we absolutely LOVED it! Was I scared at first...hell yeah! I didn't sleep the whole night before cuz I was so stressed about it and thinking "what have I done???"....but once you do you first zip-line...all your nerves go away! I'm not too fond of heights either, but you honestly don't pay any attention to how high up you are...you aren't looking down...you are looking across to your next platform....I'm also not a very physical person, so I worried it would be too strenuous, but it wasn't at all....you will all love it...

A couple bits of advice on things to bring with you: I wore a very small cotton backpack and inside I put a couple bottled waters, a disposable camera and insect repellant. Don't wear any hats, because you will need to remove them anyways to wear the helmet that is required. I purchased the CD of photos afterwards and that was well worth the money, I think like $35 or something....knowing that, I wouldn't have bothered with my own camera. You will have a good time! :p

Archived