Cozumel snorkeling....Please compare 2 areas.

Grits53

I have snorkeled at Punta Sur, which was great fun. However, the water was not as clear as I would hope for due to rough seas that day. Can you please compare snorkeling at Punta Sur to snorkeling at Chankanaab Park? My friend and I are newbie snorkelers, and we want to see some colorful reefs, fish, and maybe a turtle or stingray....in clear water. I was thinking about doing the dolphin swim at Chankanaab and then snorkeling there but wasn't sure about the quality of snorkeling inside the park. Please advise. Thanks.

I have snorkeled at Punta Sur, which was great fun. However, the water was not as clear as I would hope for due to rough seas that day. Can you please compare snorkeling at Punta Sur to snorkeling at Chankanaab Park? My friend and I are newbie snorkelers, and we want to see some colorful reefs, fish, and maybe a turtle or stingray....in clear water. I was thinking about doing the dolphin swim at Chankanaab and then snorkeling there but wasn't sure about the quality of snorkeling inside the park. Please advise. Thanks.

I haven't snorkeled at Punta Sur, but last time I was at Chankanaab I was grossly disapponted. We saw incredible fish, rays and an octopus (as I remember) at the reef right off the beach at the Presidente. It's still my sister's favorite spot, and she is a rapid snorkeler

Joyce

Here's another vote for Eagle Ray, but be sure to take the "full day" tour. They offer short trips that only go to the near shore reefs - no comparison to Palancar and Columbia reefs.

Snorkeling frrom the shore at Coz was pretty good until Hurricane Wilma. Unfortunately, the near shore reefs suffered extreme damage. The coral was virtually destroyed and will take a long time to recover. The outer reefs, such as the aforementioned Palancar and Columbia, experienced far less damage and are still world class.

Archived