Cabo and Puerto Vallarta diving

paulli

Cruising on the Diamond Princess Mexican Rivera itinerary this fall and wish to participate in the SCUBA shore excursions offered in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. Anyone have any experience with these tours? Anyone know what dive operators they use in each place? The tour includes all gear but we would like to use as much of our own gear as possible. We have weight integrated BCs which we plan to bring but would like to leave our weights at home. Do these operators provide weights for weight integrated BCs or only weight belts?

I have done dives in both places but not as a tour. Of the two, Cabo is the better choice. But be warned. The fall is storm season in the Mexican Riveria. PV is always pretty murky and would rate my dives only a 5 out of 10. Cabo can have some pretty wicked currents due to its geography especially during fall. Don't expect conditions like the Carribean or Hawaii but still good dives.

I see you are from seattle so if you have been diving here in the sound you know what extreme conditions are and neither place will be as harsh as the Sound.

Have a great time!!!

My only diving experience so far has been in Puget Sound while using a drysuit. Looking forward to diving in warmer water sans the drysuit. Visibility of more than 15 feet would be nice as well.

Thanks,

Paul

Drush- May should be great. Cabo again the better choice over PV. Can't really recommend a tour operator. I have some frinds that live just north of Cabo San Lucas in Todos Santos and I went with them.

paulli- you are a spoiled man. My only experiences in the SOund have been in a wetsuit and wooooooo it is chilly! 48 deg. In any case Cabo is great, visibility is way better than the Sound.

For both of you. if you have the time, try to find a dive up more towards La Paz (about 2 hrs NE of CSL. The currents are much more forgiving up there as La Paz in more toward the Gulf of CA unlike CSL which is on the tip of Baja CA right on the Pacific. (this is why the currents can be bad).

IF you are only in Cabo a few hrs like most cruises are, I'd just book through the ship so that you are guaranteed to make it back in time.

• 6 years later...

Paulli, I just dove in both of those locations this February. I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the operator. I was on the Royal Caribbean Radiance but they may use the same operator. The dive operation in Cabo also runs the Dolphin swim facility next to the port. They were a great outfit and had a very nice dive boat. 40-50 footer built for 20 divers. There were only four of us! Most diving is very close to the port around the rocky arches. Diving is typical pacific diving without the kelp and other plants. Pretty bare. The equipment was very good and well maintain. Wetsuits included. The water will likely be under 80 degress and close 70 the later into Fall you go. I wouldn't lug my dive gear all that way for several reasons. First, being on Princess in the Fall, you will likely have an older crowd. You may not even have enough divers for the excursion to go. I have had many active excursions cancelled due to lack of participants. Second, if they use the same operator, the equipment was good. You mentioned your BC and I'll assume you'll bring your regulator as well. Which is good. As the inflator hoses may be different. ScubaPro inflators don't fit on other brands and not sure what other brands are incompatible. The outfit in Puerto Vallarta is the same as in Cabo but with the words "Vallarta or Puerto Vallarta Adventures" something like that. We loaded up on a big snorkeling boat along with people from nearby hotels for an hour plus ride out to some nearby islands. Water was murky due to recent rains. Better than your usual 15' though. The boat was very big with plenty of room. Both dives were nice but please don't think it will be the warm clear water like on the caribbean side of Mexico. It is typical Pacific Baja/Mexico diving. Beats being at work though so enjoy. Call Royal Carib. and ask the excursion desk who they use in those locations. Princess should be able to tell you who they use if you push them a bit. Use the importance of having the right equipment if they balk. I'm sure Princess allows booking excursions ahead of time so call a couple weeks before you leave and see if anyone else has signed up for Diving. Tell them your worried the excursion will get cancelled without enough participation. We did have sign ups once onboard but only one. In Puerto Vallarta the boat may still go as they have snorkelers too. They dropped the divers off first and took the snorkelers nearby so they weren't in our way. You may do your dives out of a supports skiff called a Panga. It isn't a problem but not as easy as the big Cabo boat. Sorry for getting long winded and rambling. Enjoy yourself and have a plan B excursion incase there are no other divers. All three of my last dive excursions went but the ATV ones got cancelled since no other old farts signed up. I was surprized. Figured the diving would get canncelled first. I have had dives cancelled too though. Good luck!!

Archived