Good digital camera recommendations??

ebby870

I highly recommend the Canon EOS Rebel..I have one and love it..Takes excellent photos that are good enough to blowup poster size..Its very easy to use and comes with a Zoom program for your computer that allows you to zoom in and crop the photo..The camera is a little pricey but well worth the $$$

Kelly, Canon came out with the new model in August (I think)--the Rebel XTi. It has a few really nice improvements! I agree with you...great photos and well worth the $$$!!

I picked up a Canon A620 over the summer. 7.1 MP and about $220 shipped.. Awesome camera. Another top rated by Consumer Reports. They're as point-and-shoot as you want it, yet you have the ability to do some manual settings (I've taken pictures of lightning with a long shutter)

I consistently see Canon listed as top rated cameras, and I've never been disppointed in them (I have a 3 MP A420 as well).

Prices I'm seeing for several models are:

A530 (5 MP) for about $140

A540 (6 MP) for about $170

A630 (8 MP) for about $260

Besides size, another important consideration is a power source. I prefer a camera powered with common batterys. I use one that runs on 2 AA's. I use rechargeable NiMH batterys which sell for a dollar or so each and can be recharged indefinitely with a small inexpensive charger. I also selected a camera that uses a widely available memory card. There are several formats now--I use SD.

I would tend to stay away from any camera that uses a proprietary charger/battery or an unusual memory card.

I'm a scuba diver and use a Nikonos UW, however I like the idea of using an inexpensive housing and a digital for snorkeling or diving. For more than the most basic pictures, you will want an external strobe UW to hold down the visible backscatter(particles in water). So, look for a camera/housing that is able to make use of an external strobe and block/turn off the internal strobe.

Besides size, another important consideration is a power source. I prefer a camera powered with common batterys. I use one that runs on 2 AA's. I use rechargeable NiMH batterys which sell for a dollar or so each and can be recharged indefinitely with a small inexpensive charger. I also selected a camera that uses a widely available memory card. There are several formats now--I use SD.

I would tend to stay away from any camera that uses a proprietary charger/battery or an unusual memory card.

I'm a scuba diver and use a Nikonos UW, however I like the idea of using an inexpensive housing and a digital for snorkeling or diving. For more than the most basic pictures, you will want an external strobe UW to hold down the visible backscatter(particles in water). So, look for a camera/housing that is able to make use of an external strobe and block/turn off the internal strobe.

Can't gor wrong with Canon or Sony.

I prefer a camera that doesn't use AA batteries.

I have a Sony, consumer level but have taken shots that have been printed at 14x17, framed an shown in annual invitation only art show.

Can't gor wrong with Canon or Sony.

I prefer a camera that doesn't use AA batteries.

Why not re:AA NiMH rechargeable batterys?

That would be fine but a seperate charger is still required which I assume is what you were trying to avoid.

I have a Canon SD450 that has problems with red eye. How's everyone's camera's with regards to red eye?

Have you tried using the red eye reduction flash mode? Almost every camera has that these days. Also alot of the software programs that come with your camera have automatic red eye eliminating programs.

Here are 2 sites with good reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

One of them has a forum as well.

Personally, I have the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR. Takes great photos and you can buy different lenses and adapters for it as well (similar to the film type cameras.....SLR). With a 2 GB flash card, it can take about 250 photos at its highest quality setting (8 mega-pixels).

I have two cameras. The best is the Canon Digital Rebel. It is by far the best digital camera I have ever owned, and I have had a few. I use it for most of my vacation photos and it is great. About two years ago I decided to get a smaller camera that I could use for general photos when storage space was an issue. I also wanted a good digital camera that I could use while scuba diving. I did a lot of research and settled on another Canon because of their quality. I got a Canon PowerShot A95. I also got the Underwater case which is rated to 150 feet. I have personally had it down to 100 feet on several dives. The camera has an underwater setting that corrects for the light at depth. Underwater, you can access all function buttons including deleting photos if needed. I have been very pleased with the smaller Canon. It is a good point and shoot that works well in all conditions.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

I have and unfortunately it still doesn't seem to help. :(

If you are using a digital camera, you'll have to do it after the fact with software then. There are alot of products that will eliminate the red eye from your photos. Some are easier to use than others and depends on your computer proficiency. I use both Adobe Photoshop CS and Elements 5.0. CS is pretty expensive for casual use but Photoshop Elements is CS's little brother and can do a whole lot that CS can do. Red eye elimination is probably the easiest function to use as you can set it to automatic and it will search out and eliminate red eye for you automatically on every photo you bring up. Not the easiest program to master but it can do some pretty cool stuff. Like that fat porker that insists on being in the background of all your pictures? With Elements you can take him right out of the photo. LOL. Elements 5.0 can be had for as little as $50 on e-bay to $90 at Walmart.

Manually removing red eye is the best way to go without altering the rest of your image, however it is a little advanced.

There are several different techniques you can use and many tutoirals can be found online.

Midimarv read my mind. It really depends on what you want to accomplish in terms of taking a photograph. I have two digital cameras - a point and shoot Canon that is 4 megapixels and then I have an Olympus professional digital SLR that is 12 megapixels. My wife prefers to use the Canon since it is extremely easy to use. I use the Canon because I lean more toward looking for the perfect photo and thus, I want the best. It has interchangeable lenses, a rechargeable battery with charger, and it already has dial in settings if I want to shoot action, bright sunlight, darkness, formal portrait, etc. I also carry a tripod with me. If you are simply looking for a quick easy to use digital camera, go with a Nikon or Canon. If you're anal like I am about taking the perfect photo, go with a digital SLR. Good luck on those photos!

We have a Nikon 8800 that takes great pics, but would NEVER be taken on a cruise! LOL! Or anywhere heavy drinking is involved :p EVER!! I had an old Nikon Coolpix that I enjoyed using for travel, pretty inexpensive, but I took over 10K shots on it... so I got my money out of it on cruises, but it took a dip in the pool and ocean too many times... so I needed a new one for this last cruise... something cheap, that I wouldn't care if it were ruined or lost... I got the HP M425, and for $120, you can't beat it... it's a great little camera with some impressive features (for the price range) Has auto red eye removal, 5MP... great little inexpensive travel camera that produces great pics. And it uses the cheaper SD cards...

Archived