MBNA RCI Rewards question?

tracico

This will be my first time redeeming points from our RCI Visa. We will be using 125,000 points for two free cruises on RCI. Can someone please give me an explaination of exactly how to go about it? We are planning to take a cruise in early June. I have read all the rules on the mbna rci rewards website but that is quite confusing:rolleyes: .

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Traci

I just ordered certificates for 250.00 on Friday. I called the number on the back of my card and just pushed zero on the recording as it didn't have a selection to redeem points. I had a very nice lady that also loves to cruise ( on Carnival but going to try RCCL ) and she checked all the information for me as I was concerned I could use them for onboard credit and not just toward the cruise price. Yes, they can be used for onboard credit. She said I should have them in about 10 days. There is a way to get them sooner that they charge a fee for but she said it was not neccassary as my cruise is not until June. All and all it was a very simple thing to do to order them. Now let's see when I get them as I've read reports of others waiting a few weeks for them so we shall see. I believe that once you order them they are only good for 6 months so you want to be careful of the date you wish to use them. :) Even though this was a simple process to order them I really wish RCCL would set it up like Marriott does where I can redeem my own points online instantly from my Marriott reward card. It seems silly to have to order certificates from the credit card company and wait and then get them and then mail them to RCCL and wait for them to be credited. :o Did you mean you wanted to use your 125,000 points for 2 people for 1 free cruise? Don't worry, the credit card company will walk you thru everything.

Thanks for the info but I still have tons of questions?????

You call and they mail you certificates to use when booking your cruise, do you need to book thru RCI or can you go thru a travel agent?? How does it work thru a travel agent, if this is possible? How do your credits get applied?

We are planning a cruise in early June. When do you advise to get the ball rolling on this.

Any info is greatly appreciated since I am a newbie at this:o !

Traci

You call and they mail you certificates to use when booking your cruise, do you need to book thru RCI or can you go thru a travel agent?? How does it work thru a travel agent, if this is possible? How do your credits get applied?

We are planning a cruise in early June. When do you advise to get the ball rolling on this.

Traci

previous poster is right--certificates only good for 6 months. call the number on the back of the card. sometimes you get a person who does not know about the program. If you have any questions, contact Crown & Anchor on the RCCL site, they will usuually help out. It really is very easy to do.

I just cashed in 125 for the free cruise. You call, reuest to redeem 125k pts for the free cruise for 2. It takes about 10 days , you will receive the coupon, valid for 6 months. You can redeem it through your TA or by yourself. You need to fill out the back of the coupon (make sure you make copies) in case it would get lost, since there is a number assigned to the coupon. Now the fun begins!!! I have heard you get $2500.00 off you fare, then I heard if you booked before Oct 1, 2006 (when Mbna changed to BOA) you would receive the $2500. and if it was after that date then you will receive the lowest OV fare for 2. I submitted my coupon Dec.2, 2006 and received $2500.00 off my fare(but I have a balcony cabin and the OV fare on the Liberty was 1249.00=2498.00 for the 2) so I still have a balance due for my balcony. I did receive my Diamond C&A discount off also. You can book prior to submitting your coupon, it will take about 4 weeks from the date you submit the coupomn to get the credits. If you use a TA , the TA will inform you when they are credited, or else (if booked through RC) then Rc will notify you. I suggest trying to book a cruise where the OV price is close to $1250.00 p/p to get the best bang for the buck. Now if this message send as my reply,(since the site is dragging so bad) GOOD LUCK!

I am trying to get my free cruise here!!

I contacted the Royal Reward/Bank of America requested my Free Cruise Certificate. The rep said 6-8 :eek: wks to receive. But some of you are saying you got yours in aprox 10 days.

So I called again and asked if I do not get it.......How can I put a rush on it and how much. He said if I do not get the cert if 10, call them and they will cancel and credit my account. I don't want it credited back to my account, I want the Free Cruise!!

Well, I contacted Crown & Anchor they suggested I call B of A back and ask them for the cert # . They should then be able to credit our cruise!!!

You have plenty of time if your cruise is in June 2007. I requested my 125K coupon on Dec. 2, 2006. I received it on Dec 12, 2006. Submitted it to my TA dec, 13, 2006 and by Jan 10, 2007 I had the credit on my reservation. The whole process after you receive the coupon takes about 3-4 weeks. I was told you can not get the credit by phone, you need to submit the original coupon. Maybe by giving the coupon # and then submitting the coupon, you will get the credit pending recipt of the coupon. But yoy have plenty of time. Don't worry!

Traci

I ordered mine for my early June cruise also. I had heard others say 6-8 weeks but I was told 10 days and others have received them quickly also. Now I only cashed in 25,000 for 250.00 so maybe if you are getting the free cruise it does take longer. Not sure about that! As I tranferred my reservation to a TA to get another credit, I will give her the certifcates after I received them ( after I take copies! ) and let her get them applied and then I will make the final pmt. They must be applied before final payment. If you still have your reservation directly with RCCL just mail them the certicates. Always take copies though so there is no question. :)

Six to 8 weeks?! WOW! Call back and talk to a different rep! YIKES!

I called Bank of America a few weeks ago to redeem my points for my upcoming February cruise. The woman who assisted me was very friendly, but did not know much about the program. Even though I've never used them before, I knew from CC what to expect. :D (Thanks, CC!!!!) Ultimately, you call and tell them exactly what you want, they will submit the order and you'll receive your letter with the certificate attached. It took less than 2 weeks for me to receive my reward.

As another poster stated, copy your certificate to be on the safe side, but the letter does have all the information in it "just in case" you aren't able to copy the certificate. Also, as another poster stated, you CAN call Crown and Anchor with the certificate number to ensure your credits get posted if you're running out of time and are worried they won't be posted in time. You'll still have to mail them the certificates though!

Have fun cruising and using your rewards!

I am still a little confused. When you get the coupon and it is only good for 6 months, does that mean You only have 6 months to present it?

Or does it mean the cruise you wish to book with the coupon has to be taken within 6 months of the time you receive the coupon?

Norman, the program rules state that the certificate will be honored for 6 months after issue, but if your cruise is further out than that, I would just wait til just before final payment is due to request the certificate, etc. because if you cancel your cruise, you forfeit your certificate (although I'm sure if you use the same booking number to transfer it to a different cruise you could also transfer the credit).

Now, if your points are getting ready to expire, then by all means, request the certificate and apply it to your next cruise!

Everybody else who is concerned about the "6 to 8 weeks" answer.... that's what's called a "C.Y.A." response (Cover Your A**). That way they have PLENTY of time to get it to you without breaking their promise, and it is usually AT LEAST twice the time they normally need. Just about anything you order on line or from a catalog, etc., always has a "CYA" shipping time that never takes that long (unless something gets backordered).

Thanks, i appreciate the information and advice.

I am booked for back to back for september 2007 and had planned to book while on board for april or may 2008. I can just request the certificate sometime late this year or early next year.

If I don't quite have 50,000 points (for $500) by the time I want to redeem points (and go on my cruise), can I ask for one 25,000 coupon (for $250) and one 15,000 coupon (for $150)? Does that make sense?

If you are redeeming for onboard credit, then you must redeem it in $50 increments. For example, if you have 5000 points, then you request 1 $50 certificate. If you have 20,000 points, then you request 4 $50 certificates (and so on...). They do not have a $250, $150 or any other denomination certificate except for the $50 certificate. When I redeemed mine a few weeks ago, the customer service rep. told me that she didn't see any $150 certificates for onboard credit. I had to patiently explain that I wanted THREE $50 certificates. I'm not sure if she didn't know because of the new bank (Bank of America), she's new (?) or if they don't get many requests? In any case, I hope this helps you when you call to request your certificates!!! Good luck!

Archived