Brochure pricing

When I booked my Alaska cruise, I paid the brochure price. Well, a friends TA did all the bookings, we were part of a group of about 5 cabins.

When I booked the Med cruise through a TA, we have paid the brochure rate. When I booked our recent Princess, it too was the brochure rate, but we did get two upgrades by the time we sailed.

Now I've booked the Jewel for 2/08 and same thing, brochure rate. I still think it's a great price for an 8 day.

I get the Crown & Anchor certificates, however there hasn't been one yet (still hoping) for the Med cruise and time will tell for the 2/08.

So I'd like to know how is it, that the prices can be so diverse. Do I need a new TA? Are these fixed? Do some agencies get some better deals that they pass along?

Please explain how pricing works.......thanks.

What you need to do is your homework first. Go to different travel websites and check out their deals and prices. There are many out there. You can go through the whole process and see what the final price is without actually booking it. If you are a C&A Member be sure to check for your certificates monthly to see if there are any for your sailing. When you find your best deal let your TA know and they should match or come pretty close to it and maybe even offer you some sort of incentive for booking with them. I have never paid brochure price.

The cruise lines would like to get the best prices that they can, so as to maximize thier profit. They will start with the brochure price, but if the cabins are not selling fast enough they will begin to reduce the prices. If sales are still slow they will reduce the prices again. If they come close to filling the ship they may increase the prices for the remaining cabins. You can check on the cruise line internet site to see the current prices, and if there is a reduction in price you can ask for an adjustment to your cruise payment. Your TA should request the adjustment and confirm it with you.

petert

When I booked my Alaska cruise, I paid the brochure price. Well, a friends TA did all the bookings, we were part of a group of about 5 cabins.

When I booked the Med cruise through a TA, we have paid the brochure rate. When I booked our recent Princess, it too was the brochure rate, but we did get two upgrades by the time we sailed.

Now I've booked the Jewel for 2/08 and same thing, brochure rate. I still think it's a great price for an 8 day.

I get the Crown & Anchor certificates, however there hasn't been one yet (still hoping) for the Med cruise and time will tell for the 2/08.

So I'd like to know how is it, that the prices can be so diverse. Do I need a new TA? Are these fixed? Do some agencies get some better deals that they pass along?

Please explain how pricing works.......thanks.

RCI dos not allow discounting of prices. Princess allows it but not all agencies will discount. So it sounds like your agent does not discount.

Bill

I spent an hour or so last night checking various agencies and discounters and the price is the same.......Of course it's a brand new cruise, so possibly discounts don't happen for awhile.

I will keep my eyes open to see if a reduction happens prior to final payment, which I think is in December. Until then, maybe a certificate will come along.

In anycase, I think even the brochure price is quite good and I'm happy with it. We always book the inside cabins so it comes to 108 per day.

We can get pretty decent airfare from LAX for about $220, so all in all, I think for 8 days, with a ton of my friends signing up with us, I can't go wrong.

Thanks for all the help.

Archived