Lesbian Couples who love cruising

mithryl

We live in Texas and it is never gonna happen here. Though Dallas is home to the largest Gay church in America, has gays on the city council and the county sheriff is a lesbian :eek: .

Don't be so sure...I lived in North Richland Hills several years ago and I'm aware of the MCC in Dallas. I think Texas is a prime state to adopt gay marriage, even though it's in the middle of the "bible belt", many companies have moved to the area for tax purposes and have brought much more liberal minded employees with them from both the west and east coasts. I think you have a much better chance than we do up here in Northern Idaho where we just got rid of the Ayrian Nation a few years ago!

Misspissed -- Thank you!--it goes on the Must Do list immediately! The website looked scrumptious, but I have been wanting to go up the Needle (dumb maybe, but I've never done it, so....) and didn't know whether it would be worth sweating the time factor over. But we will make it happen. My mother is from Austria, and before she came to the U.S., the local butcher's son was in love with her. So every time we went back to visit, we would go down to his shop and sit and drink tea with rum and eat different homemade wurst till we were about to croak. Yum....

Kristen

Don't be so sure...I lived in North Richland Hills several years ago and I'm aware of the MCC in Dallas. I think Texas is a prime state to adopt gay marriage, even though it's in the middle of the "bible belt", many companies have moved to the area for tax purposes and have brought much more liberal minded employees with them from both the west and east coasts. I think you have a much better chance than we do up here in Northern Idaho where we just got rid of the Ayrian Nation a few years ago!

Last year Texas voted no to marriage or any marriage type entity (Domestic Partnerships and the like) for gays and lesbians. The no percentage in Dallas was WAY over 75%. :(

Misspissed -- Thank you!--it goes on the Must Do list immediately! The website looked scrumptious, but I have been wanting to go up the Needle (dumb maybe, but I've never done it, so....) and didn't know whether it would be worth sweating the time factor over. But we will make it happen. My mother is from Austria, and before she came to the U.S., the local butcher's son was in love with her. So every time we went back to visit, we would go down to his shop and sit and drink tea with rum and eat different homemade wurst till we were about to croak. Yum....

Kristen

Kristen, if you are interested in doing the Needle, may I recommend the Go Seattle Card? It's a discount card that gets you either free or reduced price admission into major attractions. When we were there in May, the Needle was free with the Go Card! For restaurants, we enjoyed Wild Ginger, but the best by far was Jasmine Thai & Moroccan Restaurant. It's across from Pike's Place Market, inside another little market building. It was inexpensive, the Thai food was great, the cashier/waiter/host/etc was really friendly...we loved it!

Kristen,

We did the Needle a few years ago in Seattle for Bonnie's birthday and had dinner up there. It was a bit pricy, but I really thought it was worth it. The food was outstanding, the service excellent and the view...awesome. We went close to sunset and I'd do it again for a special occasion.

I think the price of normal admission is deducted from your dinner tab.

Mithryl--

thanks for the recommendation--Kathy was saying she wouldn't go up there unless she could eat at the restaurant, so maybe that will be our game plan. Lunch and sightseeing there plus a stop at Salumi's may be it--we're only in port till 5! (which means that we automatically miss out on the Tillicum Village tour and salmon feast, which is the one thing which really would have made our trip perfect, believe it or not)

Etoile--I will check futher into the card, but it is $55 for the one-day version--I'm not sure we'll have enough time to make the savings....

And I was curious about the locks up there, but oh well.

Kristen

Mithryl--

thanks for the recommendation--Kathy was saying she wouldn't go up there unless she could eat at the restaurant, so maybe that will be our game plan. Lunch and sightseeing there plus a stop at Salumi's may be it--we're only in port till 5! (which means that we automatically miss out on the Tillicum Village tour and salmon feast, which is the one thing which really would have made our trip perfect, believe it or not)

Etoile--I will check futher into the card, but it is $55 for the one-day version--I'm not sure we'll have enough time to make the savings....

And I was curious about the locks up there, but oh well.

Kristen

HI Kristen,

Where is your cruise going when it leaves Seattle?

Dollfan--we are taking the 14-day Celebrity Millennium May 5, 2008 RT to Alaska from San Francisco. It is a fun itinerary--Astoria, Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Sitka, Vancouver, Victoria, home. Wanna come with? They are selling out quickly, though, and the prices of the cabins have risen amazingly since we signed up.

Kristen

Hey Ladies,

Well we made it back fro our Fascination cruise. We had a wonderful time and the weather was great. The cruise went to Key West and Calica. In Key West we just walked around and did some shopping. Playa Del Carman was my favorite stop. We did get a little rain in Playa Del Carman but that didn't bother Jacob and I. We spent most of our time in the water swimming. After a day of swimming Jacob and his Uncle went back to the ship. Missy, her mother and I went into town and did some shopping.

This was a great cruise we all had a good time. The service and staff was excellent. The Fascination was a really nice ship. They just refurbushed the ship. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We enjoyed mini golf course. Jacob really enjoyed the pool slide. We'd book another cruise on this ship again. I'll post some pictures when I get everything downloaded.

Have a great weekend,

shan9700:)

Hey Ladies,

Well we made it back fro our Fascination cruise. We had a wonderful time and the weather was great. The cruise went to Key West and Calica. In Key West we just walked around and did some shopping. Playa Del Carman was my favorite stop. We did get a little rain in Playa Del Carman but that didn't bother Jacob and I. We spent most of our time in the water swimming. After a day of swimming Jacob and his Uncle went back to the ship. Missy, her mother and I went into town and did some shopping.

This was a great cruise we all had a good time. The service and staff was excellent. The Fascination was a really nice ship. They just refurbushed the ship. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We enjoyed mini golf course. Jacob really enjoyed the pool slide. We'd book another cruise on this ship again. I'll post some pictures when I get everything downloaded.

Have a great weekend,

Glad to hear everything went well, can't wait to see the pictures :D by the way where are you cruisin to next?

Jess,

Thanks girl! Well I think were planning a family trip which will be a cruise in Oct. of 2008. Not sure which one we'll take but it'll be a seven day. I know Missy and I are taking a land vacation to Playa Del Carmen in March of 2008 with some of her friends.

I never know when I might cruise next though. If I see a good price and can swing it I'm so there. Missy doesn't have as much vacation as I do so she puts her foot down sometimes...haha. So maybe I'll get another one in this year if I'm lucky.

Thank for the info on posting pictures here too.

Dollfan--we are taking the 14-day Celebrity Millennium May 5, 2008 RT to Alaska from San Francisco. It is a fun itinerary--Astoria, Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Sitka, Vancouver, Victoria, home. Wanna come with? They are selling out quickly, though, and the prices of the cabins have risen amazingly since we signed up.

Kristen

Thanks for the invite but we did Alaska last month and it will probably be our one and only to Alaska. We had a good time but we live in Seattle and it was allot like Seattle to us. You should enjoy the ports though. Seattle is great, Victoria is beautiful and very clean. Be sure to hit Buchart gardens you won't regret it and of course shopping in Victoria. There is an Irish pub thats pretty good too, especially if you like corned beef and cabbage.

Ketchikan was okay but be sure to see the totems. All the vendors as you get off the ship are owned by the cruise ships, so you aren't helping out the local economy there.

Juneau, was pretty fun. We rented a car from "rent a wreck" and I highly recommend it. We got a car for the day for $57 and they picked us up at the port. We drove ourselves to Mendenhall Glacier where we saw a mama bear and her two cubs and of course the glacier (free) and then went to the Alaskan Brewery (very good and free!) and then the Salmon hatchery (also free) and then to the salmon bake (again free for cruise ship patrons) We didn't have to stand in any lines and were able to see more than anyone else on the ship in one trip for only $57.00.

We didn't like Vancouver (we thought the city was very dirty) but we did not do any tours either so we can't comment on that.

You will love Hubbard, although the time of year you will be going will prevent you from getting very close which is unfortunate but it is very pretty there going and coming.

Good Luck and have a great cruise! We will stick to our fav...the Caribbean.

Toni

Juneau, was pretty fun. We rented a car from "rent a wreck" and I highly recommend it. We got a car for the day for $57 and they picked us up at the port. We drove ourselves to Mendenhall Glacier where we saw a mama bear and her two cubs and of course the glacier (free) and then went to the Alaskan Brewery (very good and free!) and then the Salmon hatchery (also free) and then to the salmon bake (again free for cruise ship patrons) We didn't have to stand in any lines and were able to see more than anyone else on the ship in one trip for only $57.00.

Toni

Toni,

Thanks for the information regarding Juneau. We were there in 2001 on an Olivia cruise and did Mendenhall Glacier (had very little time to spend there on the ships tour), but we're planning to go again on 7/20/08 HAL sailing and this sounds like the way to go!

If you ever get back to Vancouver, we found there were many great places to visit there...give it another chance.

I just saw a Travel Channel special on RCL's "Freedom of the Sea". Made me want to return to the Caribbean just to experience a Freedom Class ship (3600+ passengers)! Perhaps we'll give them a try in 2009 since we already have plans for two 2008 cruises.

I was awed at the promenade deck and all of the extra features offered.

Has anyone else sailed one of RCL's Freedom Class ships? What did you think?

Vicki & Bonnie

Toni,

Thanks for the information regarding Juneau. We were there in 2001 on an Olivia cruise and did Mendenhall Glacier (had very little time to spend there on the ships tour), but we're planning to go again on 7/20/08 HAL sailing and this sounds like the way to go!

If you ever get back to Vancouver, we found there were many great places to visit there...give it another chance.

I just saw a Travel Channel special on RCL's "Freedom of the Sea". Made me want to return to the Caribbean just to experience a Freedom Class ship (3600+ passengers)! Perhaps we'll give them a try in 2009 since we already have plans for two 2008 cruises.

I was awed at the promenade deck and all of the extra features offered.

Has anyone else sailed one of RCL's Freedom Class ships? What did you think?

Vicki & Bonnie

I was watching the same thing last night on the travel channel with Samantha Brown. I've never been on a Freedom Class ship :( Since they are so new the price is a bit high so my friends and I settled for the Voyager Class ship (Explorer of the Seas) which is one class under the Freedom. It has the Royal Promenade like the Freedom which I'm so excited about :D and it holds 3,114 passengers ~ it will be the biggest ship we've sailed on. It has the ice-skating rink and Johnny Rockets they are very similar ~ there's a few things that our ship won't have one being what Samantha looked like she enjoyed everyday ~ The Flow-Rider ~ that looked like a lot of fun but poor her for all the times she got slammed. Maybe we'll do the Freedom in 2009 also ;)

You all have a great week!!!

well last time I posted on here I was a poor lonely "single" travelling with mother RCCL 11/10 -bu yay have just booked cruise in april 08 with my wonderful g/f - I can't wait!

anyone else travelling celebrity April 27 (san francisco-vancouver)

My partner and I recently went on our first cruise with her parents for their 50th wedding anniversary. I didn't expect to really like it much but we had a great time. We did the Mexican Riviera on RCCL - Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston. We enjoyed it so much that I (being the designated VP) have now booked us on the June 7, '08 cruise on Regent Seven Seas Navigator going from Athens to Monte Carlo. Anyone else going on that cruise. We would love to find some friends on board! We will be celebrating Beth's 40th birthday and a belated 9th anniversary.:)

My partner and I recently went on our first cruise with her parents for their 50th wedding anniversary. I didn't expect to really like it much but we had a great time. We did the Mexican Riviera on RCCL - Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston. We enjoyed it so much that I (being the designated VP) have now booked us on the June 7, '08 cruise on Regent Seven Seas Navigator going from Athens to Monte Carlo. Anyone else going on that cruise. We would love to find some friends on board! We will be celebrating Beth's 40th birthday and a belated 9th anniversary.:)

Welcome scz533!

We have other 2008 plans (Hawaii and Alaska), but I'd love to hear about your experience on the Navigator. RSS is a great line. How did you like the Rhapsody? What was your favorite part of cruising?

I know I was very hesitant too, and on my first cruise (Olivia - HAL - Alaska - 2001), I was hooked!

We've done the Mexican Riveria twice (Princess and RCCL). I'd love to hear what impressed you the most about your experience.

Actually, we sailed on the Rhapsody's last voyage out of Galveston- although we didn't know that until we got on the ship. They are now taking her to Asia where she will apparently stay for a while. The experience was good. The ship had undergone some renovation - and was still being renovated while we were on it. The pros: service was excellent. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The rooms were a good size - we really enjoyed our balcony. The itinerary (Cozumel, Roataan, Playa del Carmen and Progresso) was good and the weather was wonderful (we managed to go right in between 2 hurricaines!) The cons: the nickle and diming with the drinks, jewelry, art auction, bingo - constantly trying to sell you something; many, many loud PA announcements (again trying to get you to a sales event), lots of kids (a con for me anyway) and the food (which we thought was only so-so). Still, all-in-all I had a great, relaxing vacation and loved the concept of visiting so many places and not having to pack and unpack and go the the train station/airport, and find a place to eat, etc. That's why we decided to try a cruise line (Regent) with a reputation for a quieter and less hassled sail and will be visiting Greece, Turkey, Sicily, Italy and Monaco. We are really looking forward to it. Would love to find some "family" travelling on the same cruise to socialize with. Thanks for starting this thread - great idea.

Dollfan-- Thank you for the wonderful tips!! What is the deal with the free salmon bake? I was looking at going to Thane Ore House, but is there something else we should be doing? We are booked on Capt. Larry's whale-watching tour (accessible! woohoo!) and then I was hoping to hit the Mendenhall Glacier and the Thane Ore House dinner before we have to be back at the ship. I am a little worried about the accessible taxi situation, but will go to work on that a little closer to cruise date. But tell us about FREE salmon!

We visited the Butchart Gardens 20-ump years ago when we were a newish couple with teen boys on vacation in a 4wd-Harvester-and-teardrop-trailer (everyone survived). I think I discovered I do not have a gardening gene in my entire body, whatsoever, nada. The museum in Victoria was another story--loved it totally. And there was a women's bookstore that we visited; the women there were so wonderful... We later thought the store in "Better Than Chocolate" must have been modeled after them.

We got to get up close enough to the glacier on the Regal Princess a few years ago--I'm satisfied...

GillCC --wah! we'll miss you by a week! no fair! we're May 5th from SF.

Kristen

scz533,

I see you're from San Antonio...great town! I lived in Dallas for a few years (business) and then transferred back out. Of all the places I visited in Texas, San Antonio was my favorite. I can see why you sailed out of Galveston...home port for you. Can't wait to hear about your experiences in Europe. I've never been. Bonnie (my partner) went to Europe shortly after graduation from high school and had a great time (a lot of years ago!). I'd love to do a similar cruise to the one you've booked. I'll put it on my wish list for the future.

Kristen,

Do you remember the name of the women's book store you visited in Victoria? I'll be going there in another three weeks.

We're also planning Alaska for 2008, but I'm pretty sure we'll be doing HAL on 7/20/07 (Westerdam). Mendenhall Glacier is amazing and from what I remember, accessible. We also did a seaplane excursions. It was the first time I ever landed on water...quite an experience! I know you'll love the cruise.

We really like living in San Antonio. I have been here since law school (25 years) and, with the exception of Austin, I don't think there is anywhere else in TX I would want to live. Houston is too big and Dallas is a little too high society (just my opinion).

My partner Beth and I went to Italy about 4 years ago and France about 2 years ago. We really enjoyed both trips (Italy was the best of the 2) but didn't really like the amount of time we had to spend going from city to city (usually by train). Doing that, you spend alot of your vacation in the train station and packing and unpacking your suitcase. That's why the cruise seemed like a really good option for us. Europe is really so different from here (although we love to travel in the States as well) - very old, very historical and architecturally beautiful. I really liked the itinerary for this cruise - we get to see a little of Greece, Turkey, Sicily, Italy and Monte Carlo/France. We are going to spend a couple of days in Athens before the cruise and a couple in Nice after. I just wish it weren't so far away.

Hey there,

We are just in from the NCL Pearl in Alaska. AWESOME trip! Loved freestyle, and the new ship. I would/will surely sail her again. We went to Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchican, Victoria, and Seattle if you all have any questions. We got really super lucky with the weather. No rain, a bit chilly(for the island girls), and beautiful blue skies most of the way. Check out our pics if you'd like.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/560768480CodnYw?vhost=travel&start=108

We are sailing NCL again...Mexican Riviera in April on the Star. Would love any input.

Mythrl.....any advice I can give you about the islands? What days are you going to be on Maui?

Hey there,

Mythrl.....any advice I can give you about the islands? What days are you going to be on Maui?

Mo & CJ,

Great pictures from Alaska.:) I'm pretty sure we'll be in Maui on March 7th, 2008. If the itenerary stays the same, it should be our first port on this trip and we leave LA on March 2nd.

We'll be in Honolulu on a Sunday. I've heard that the swap meet at the Aloha Bowl is a fun and inexpensive place to shop for gifts. (Although I thought shopping in Maui was great!) We thought we might try to take The Bus to the swap meet and then go to Pearl Harbor (we didn't go this year as we did a natural highlights of Oahu tour). Do you think it's worth our time? Oahu is our longest port, but some things aren't available on Sunday's. We shopped at the Aloha Tower and it was ok, but we're looking for something different.

Mythrl,

The swap meet is good. I would suggest doing Pearl Harbor 1st, and then the swap meet if you get an early start. Just in case you buy 20 t-shirts and a ukulele, flowers, pineapple, papaya, bananas, passion fruit, coconut candy, jewels, shells, postcards, pretty little dresses, polarized sunglasses, binoculars, sunscreen, a new bathing suit...hmmmmmmm

Anyway, have a great time. Don't forget...tons of water.

Waikiki Beach is one of the most wonderful beaches on the islands, forsure. Many people, but that is OK every now and then. Lots of history there, and so much to see.