Lesbian Couples who love cruising

mithryl

I think the other companies offer incentives for repeat customers but I do not know what the particulars are.

What I do know is the HAL site says a veranda stateroom for the January cruise itinerary Olivia also has to offer is $1,100 to $1,300. Olivia charges $2,099 and most recently announced $2,300 according to their latest price hike. That sounds like a 100% price increase to me.

The other LGBT companies do not seem to have this same percentage hike, nor do they have the same stringent cancellation policies or require payment in full as far ahead as Olivia does.

It would be really fantastic if someone else gave them competition for the all women experience. I do not see that happening anytime soon.

I think people need to be realistic and realize that the amount they are paying Vicki Shaw and Karen Williams as entertainers does not substantiate margins of this sort. I know they have the Indigo Girls and Heart too, but still. How many vacations a year do they do? How many per person charges? How many discounts for booking a whole hotel or whole ship ahead of time then charging massive mark ups to the patrons, where does that get them?

I think the fact that their margin is clearly higher than RSVP, Atlantis, R Family, says it all. Their cancellation policies and payment in full far in advance of the vacation, do not mirror the other companies, says it all.

We can afford to go on their vacations but we have decided not to give them our business even after receiving a 2 for 1 like Etoile did.

Until they can prove they are not gouging their clients due to non compete, we will not throw our funds their way.

I know this will not sit well with many persons. To each their own.

I know it will ring truthful to others.

Did you get KD Lang ticket's pussycat?

PA

No, we can't go that date but would have liked to. We'll be seeing her on Olivia at the end of January though.

Glad to hear your GF doesn't have to go through chemo. Here's to wellness & a great relaxing cruise in January..........

Julie

> ^..^ <

Paddy Ann - So sorry to hear about your GF but glad to hear no chemo is required. You will both be in our thoughts and we pray for a full recovery.

Re: Olivia - Linda and I will be going on our first (and most likely, only) Olivia cruise in January. We cannot speak to the value of the very high prices for Olivia cruises as we haven't any experience yet, but we do know that due to those high prices we will be very unlikely to ever go on another Olivia vacation. Pretty much way out of our price league - especially after Linda retires in a couple of years. Sigh. Competition would be good, but we don't see any possibilities looming on the horizon.

Carol and Linda.

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm doublegator's gf. Heading out for a short Anniversary cruise right before christmas.

In regards to Olivia cruises, I would definitely love to take one, yet with the pricing issues it seems unlikely any time soon. Some competition would definitely keep those prices in check. Either way hopefully when we both finish school (Engineering major and she is in Law School) Hopefully we will be able to book one, if even only one.

Anyways, just wanted drop in and say hello.

I think the idea of an Olivia cruise is interesting, as well, but the price is wayyyyy more than we can swing. We're going on a 7 day t the Eastern Carribbean and we got a balcony on NCL for $649 pp. and that was booking 5 months out. I'm not sure you can sleep in the kitchen of an Olivia for that.

I think the idea of an Olivia cruise is interesting, as well, but the price is wayyyyy more than we can swing. We're going on a 7 day t the Eastern Carribbean and we got a balcony on NCL for $649 pp. and that was booking 5 months out. I'm not sure you can sleep in the kitchen of an Olivia for that.

Let us know how you like the Dawn. Do you usually sail out of Galveston? NCL certainly does have good pricing. I've never sailed them as it looks like their rooms are a bit smaller, but I'd certainly consider it. We saw the Pride of Aloha while we were in Hawaii earlier this year, and it looked like she had very few balcony cabins...is that typical of NCL?

You could probably row the boat for that

We go out of Miami. The other half doesn't want to do the western Carribbean-ever. It would be cheaper to go out of Galveston or New Oreans but cruises the only cruises that sail out of their ports go to the Eastern Carribbean.

I think we'll like the Dawn. The Jewel is a sister ship to the Dawn and we LOVE the Dawn.

Candue- That's the truth. We want to cruise at least twice a year not once every 3 years.

We go out of Miami. The other half doesn't want to do the western Carribbean-ever. It would be cheaper to go out of Galveston or New Oreans but cruises the only cruises that sail out of their ports go to the Eastern Carribbean.

I think we'll like the Dawn. The Jewel is a sister ship to the Dawn and we LOVE the Dawn.

Candue- That's the truth. We want to cruise at least twice a year not once every 3 years.

I'm with you, we want to sail at least twice a year. This year was our first time actually doing two. We are planning two for next year as well. (Three or more would be my ultimate goal!)

Only 19 days left for you before you sail...have fun...and let us all know all about it when you return!:)

Hey ladies,

I have not read the many pages here but reading these last few pages I have a question. I hope this is not against any forum rules.

How many of you would be interested in an annual/semi-annual group cruise featuring lesbian entertainment (knowns and unknowns) with a small mark-up to cover the extra cost of the entertainment? I am not talking about chartering an entire ship just creating a group cruise of women only. This is something I have been considering for some time but I am not sure of the interest. If anyone is familiar with things such as SeaTrek and the SlayerCruise then that is similar to what I am talking about. It would be a “lesbian convention” of sorts. I was thinking Olivia meets Dinah Shore on a Midwest salary. Entertainment would be across the board.

Anyway just thought I would throw that out there.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

S-

Hey ladies,

I have not read the many pages here but reading these last few pages I have a question. I hope this is not against any forum rules.

How many of you would be interested in an annual/semi-annual group cruise featuring lesbian entertainment (knowns and unknowns) with a small mark-up to cover the extra cost of the entertainment? I am not talking about chartering an entire ship just creating a group cruise of women only. This is something I have been considering for some time but I am not sure of the interest. If anyone is familiar with things such as SeaTrek and the SlayerCruise then that is similar to what I am talking about. It would be a “lesbian convention” of sorts. I was thinking Olivia meets Dinah Shore on a Midwest salary. Entertainment would be across the board.

Anyway just thought I would throw that out there.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

S-

Hi Travelkeys,

It does sound interesting, but if you're not booking the entire ship (like Olivia), where would the special entertainment be held? (Since the cruise ship entertainment would still be in all the main theatres and lounges for the "regular passengers".) Just something to consider. It's not quite the same concept as large groups with sea day meetings (speakers, workshops, etc.) unless you plan to have the entertainment during the day instead of the evening.

If you work out all of the details, I'd be interested in hearing more about it. I'd love to travel with more lesbians on board linking dinner tables, shore excursions, etc. That's one of the reasons I started this thread, so we could connect and see if any of us might be traveling on the same cruises (as well as hearing about everyone's experiences from our unique perspectives).;)

I just wanted to stop in and say hello. Sorry I've been MIA but my partner & I are getting married :D A lot to do in such short time ~ we're getting married in March right before the cruise. We live in NJ so we are able to have a civil union.

Hope you all are doing well...

Happy Sailings to you all ;)

I just wanted to stop in and say hello. Sorry I've been MIA but my partner & I are getting married :D A lot to do in such short time ~ we're getting married in March right before the cruise. We live in NJ so we are able to have a civil union.

Hope you all are doing well...

Happy Sailings to you all ;)

Congratulations Jess! So your cruise is now your honeymoon...that's terrific! Carol & Linda (Wannabcrusin) cruised right after their wedding too!

(What else would you expect from cruisers.)

Check in every so often and let us know how your plans are going!:)

Thank you Mithryl & Etoile! It's all very exicting but there's a lot of work involved in this wedding planning stuff. If it were up to me I would have taken the money we're spending and I would have booked another cruise LOL but she wants this and I want her to be happy and make it all come together for her ;)

Talk to you all later.

Have a great weekend!!! :D

stormloca777 - Yeah, I felt that way about spending the money for our wedding, too, but in the end I was very glad we did the full monte and had a rather traditional wedding. While Linda and I would have been happy to keep it low key and have only us and our witnesses, the fact that we had a real wedding with family members, friends and all, officiated by a Wedding Commissioner in Victoria, Canada where same-sex weddings are legal and binding, actually served to really legitimize our relationship to all our family members. A wedding is something they understand, as they have been married themselves, while a commitment ceremony or a domestic partnership ceremony or whatever, does not mean the same thing in their minds. I mean, it would have meant the same thing to me and Linda, but it wouldn't have meant the same thing to our hetero family and friends. Now, they saw a real wedding with two women and accepted it as valid and actually normal....and more importantly, it cemented the joining of our two respective families into one family! It was totally worth the expense and turmoil and planning hassles for those reasons alone. So, be glad you're going to all the trouble....your families will see you both in a different light and it normalizes our relationships to hetero people who will witness it. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. May your years together be long and prosperous.

Carol and Linda.

stormloca777 - Yeah, I felt that way about spending the money for our wedding, too, but in the end I was very glad we did the full monte and had a rather traditional wedding. While Linda and I would have been happy to keep it low key and have only us and our witnesses, the fact that we had a real wedding with family members, friends and all, officiated by a Wedding Commissioner in Victoria, Canada where same-sex weddings are legal and binding, actually served to really legitimize our relationship to all our family members. A wedding is something they understand, as they have been married themselves, while a commitment ceremony or a domestic partnership ceremony or whatever, does not mean the same thing in their minds. I mean, it would have meant the same thing to me and Linda, but it wouldn't have meant the same thing to our hetero family and friends. Now, they saw a real wedding with two women and accepted it as valid and actually normal....and more importantly, it cemented the joining of our two respective families into one family! It was totally worth the expense and turmoil and planning hassles for those reasons alone. So, be glad you're going to all the trouble....your families will see you both in a different light and it normalizes our relationships to hetero people who will witness it. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. May your years together be long and prosperous.

Carol and Linda.

Thank you so much! I do agree with you that in the end it will be all worth it :D And I am very happy that we are doing it for all those reason ;)

Thanks again I will keep you all posted on our progress.

Thank you so much! I do agree with you that in the end it will be all worth it :D And I am very happy that we are doing it for all those reason ;)

Thanks again I will keep you all posted on our progress.

We'll be back from our R/T Hawaii cruise that starts on 3/2/08 before your sail away. It's our 10th anniversary of being together on 3/4/08 and our 4th year of being married (even though Oregon decided to not honor our license and ceremony). I've listed our anniversary on the "special celebrations" area on Princess, so it will be interesting to see what they do to help us celebrate. Our anniversary happens to fall on the first formal night of our cruise, so it will be special for us no matter what else happens.

Best wishes.

Hi All,

I have sailed Royal Carribean 4 times and would love to go on the Olivia but for the price - i dunno.I took my sweetie for her first cruise early this year and now she is soooooo hooked.We would love to go on another soon.Just not sure where this time.We went to the Eastern Carribean and ive already been to the Western too.We would love also to do Rosie's cruise.

Does anyone know if there is a time when the rates are lower?

;)

Wow great thread! Look at all of the Jersey Girls where were you all when I was single and still living in jersey.

Well I am not single anymore, my partner and I have been together almost 10 years and we LOVE to cruise. We now live in Florida and have the luxury to jump on a boat pretty easily. I know my name says 1stimer but I am not anymore.

I have been ready through your thread and can comment on a few things. While I love the idea of an Olivia cruise I would most likely never book one. It is just too much money and not worth it for a few on deck PDAs. As for RCL we just got back from a trip on the Liberty and there was a GLBT singing group that must have been 100+ strong and they (we) had a great time. It was Halloween week so you know the boys just went crazy. It was a lot of fun and I didn't see any issues.

We have always been really luckily our table mates and people we meet on tours etc have always been really nice and it never seemed to bother them.

I would love however to get a great group together of women to travel with. We are always up for a new adventure.

Paddy Anne,

My Partner and I just got back from Costa Rica and we sailed on the Miracle a few years back, it was our first cruise so of course it was our favorite. We loved the ship it is very beautiful. Parts are a bit over the top but it was tons of fun.

So I am going to expose myself on this one, but what is FOD:eek: . Sorry it's new to me.

Thanks,

Erica

So I am going to expose myself on this one, but what is FOD:eek: . Sorry it's new to me.

Thanks,

Erica

Hi Erica,

FOD stands for Friends of Dorothy (as in Wizard of OZ). It's kind of a code for Gay/Lesbian gatherings on several cruiselines.;) Like the Friends of Bill gatherings with are AA meetings.

I was actually very please to see a recent posting of a Princess Patter from the Diamond Princess that listed "our" gatherings as GLBT rather than FOD. Much more straight (excuse the phrase) forward.:)

Hi All,

We would love also to do Rosie's cruise.

Does anyone know if there is a time when the rates are lower?

;)

Hi Candliesx2,

I've never seen rate decreases for Rosie's cruises. Others that have gone on them might have some info. The best I've seen for Olivia is a few two for one offers, but it's still like paying full catelog price for a straight cruise (just not double). It's not nearly as good a deal as many of the offers on regular cruises.