1st Family cruise

stretts

Hi, we are off ! I am taking the family on a quick cruise and want to make the most of it. Two kids 13yo and 17yo boys, thought I would get in before the eldest flies the nest.Pacific Star R715 April 14th. I am open to any info to get the most. Noumea, Lifou and Vila? Recomended shore tours, best dinner sitting any suggestions.

You will find heaps on info by using the 'search this forum' at the top of the page. It's great fun reading everyones contributions as everyone is different so you get a good overall picture of what it is like. I am sure you and your family will have the greatest time and will become, like us, addicted to this site between cruises. It helps to 'keep the feeling' until the next cruise. Happy sailing, we are on the next cruise after you.

Hi Stretts,

Welcome to the boards. Hopefully we can help you to make the most of your cruise. These boards are a wealth of knowledge and we have a broad range of cruising history & experience covered by the various posters. Just ask anything you or your family want to know. If we have discussed it in the past I am sure someone will bump a thread for you or we may just chat about it again!

My number 1 piece of advice is take a smile & good attitude with you. Remember you are on holiday and be prepared to roll with any problems. We personally see them as adventures that give us a fun or exciting story. There is nothing worse than spending so much on a holiday and then spending the entire time whinging about it. You may as well get over it and enjoy your time!! Deal with the problems if you can, or just move on and make the most of it then raise them with P&O when you get back! Life is much easier to face with a smile than a frown!!:rolleyes:

A couple of the girls I work are going on this cruise as well and they are looking to have a blast. They are planning anything but a "family cruise"!!;)

For tours I would recommend Le Petite Train in Noumea and if you want to do a tour in Lifou you could check out the Cliffs of Jokin (or there may be locals with a cheaper tour option when you get onto the Island - be aware however that these guys are not checked by P&O and may not have the best English, that being said we have used them in the past and never had a problem getting back to the ship only the language barrier).

We usually take the time in Vila to shop! The best priced duty free in the South Pacific. I would recommend you do not buy your duty free until you have checked out the prices in Vila. The best shop we have found is Fung Kwei (sp?). For those who don't know they will deliver to the ship and we have never had a problem. Much better than the old days when you had to lug it all back by yourself!

As per the previous post would recommend you choose early dinner. That way your teens don't miss out on any activities and may get to bed at an almost decent hour!!

Again if you have any questions please let us know and I'm sure that someone will answer them.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Early dining might be best as teens have the oz disco to themselves from about 8pm to 11pm.

Vila - The duty free shop at the end on the left was recommended to us. 1.25L bourbon was $14 and it was delivered to the ship.

We enjoyed shoppoing in vila and bought fake billabong and roxy shirts for between $8 (childrens sizes) $12 Adults sizes.

We also did a snorkelling tour in the morning.

Your kids can get their hair braided in vila for about $10 each. The guys looked great with their little spikes all over their head when they got back on the ship (the girls had plaits).

Le Petite train in Noumea was good as you got a good look around the city.

I am sur your kids will have a great time and you wont see them very much.

Archived