Transportation to Sapphire Beach

San-D-Beach

After many, many hours of reading posts, I have finally decided to go to Sapphire Beach when I dock in St. Thomas. This seems like the best choice for our family of four. What is the best way to get there. Should I take a taxi or should we walk to town and get the bus? I have been reading that a taxi ride to Sapphire is about $10 pp. Is that just one way? If it is, then I would figure just to get my family to the beach and back would cost $80.00. This is our first cruise! The postings on these boards are soooo helpful. If anyone has suggestions please post.

Thanks!!!!!!

Will your ship be docking at Havensight or Crown Bay? I think to get from Crown Bay to Sapphire is more expensive than from Havensight to Sapphire.

Walking to town from either site is a haul and if you have young kids in tow, I wouldn't recommend it. Some folks have been able to get the dollar bus rides from the dock with some luck to various locations on the island.

Information on dollar bus rides may be found on these threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=4306045

I am not sure where my ship will be docking. I realized I did not have that information after I read the reply post. I will be on the NCL Dawn, arriving in St.Thomas on 4-4-07. I did find more information on the buses. I need to dig further to find out if I can catch a bus near the dock that I am getting off at. But I need to find that info first. It is harder than I thought...being your own travel agent! Here is the link for the info on the buses.... also a lot of good information.

http://bestbuds.xoompages.com/

OK here's a good one. I just called NCL to find out where the Dawn will be docking on 4-4-07. The rep I talked to couldn't find the information so she put me on hold, came back and told me she spoke with her supervisor and...."at this time they are unavailable to give me that information" my reply was..."so how is someone supposed to book an excursion if they don't know where they need to be picked up?" She kindly said she would transfer me to the excursion dept..... maybe they would have more information! She transferred me but....they were closed for the day! WOW!!!! Does anyone out there know where NCL docks the Dawn?

Yes you can!

Our family of four agree with your choice. We recently visited Sapphire Beach on our own and shopped Havensight at the pier. Despite what everyone at the pier will tell you (and they will lie to you), you can get local transportation for $2 per person in an open-air taxi to Sapphire Beach. Simply walk out of the Havensight pier main gate, cross the street, turn left and walk until you get to the Bus Stop (there is a pullover area) across from K-Mart and cross the street so that you are standing on the K-Mart side of the street. It is a leisurely 10 to 15-minute level walk. When you see an open-air taxi drive up, flag him down, tell him where you wish to go and enjoy the trip. The drive takes about 20 to 30 minutes each way to Sapphire Beach depending upon traffic. Pay upon exiting the taxi. If you are going to Sapphire Beach, you will be dropped off at the entrance to the Sapphire Beach hotels which is at the top of a hill. A short 5-minute walk will get you on the beach. Sapphire Beach is a gorgeous white sand beach with lots of shade trees and awesome views of several nearby islands including St. John. The snorkeling is good. We saw several schools of fish (previously unknown to us), an eel, and a small stingray. Unpadded beach lounge chairs are $5 each if you want to rent one, or free if you just occupy one of the many chairs abandoned by their previous inhabitants. A dive shop, bar and grill, and restrooms are available. Some water sports are also available. Pick up the taxi again where it dropped you off.

Here are our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

Thanks for that last post! I will make a copy of it and take it with me in order to remember your exact directions. I think I have completed my task of St. Thomas .... now it is on to Antigua which will be our next stop on our cruise. I will be jumping over to the Antigua "port of call" board next!

Thanks to all who take the time to post here with such great information and tips!

Archived