Water Taxi

tron3737

My wife and I are taking a Crown Princess cruise on Feb 24th. We definitely plan on exploring both sides of the island. Our ship offers a $32 Phillipsburg@Leisure Beach & Shopping Pkg. Essentially it is a $32/person water taxi pass that ships you out to phillipsburg, shop, & allows you to return at leisure to the boat, also by water taxi . . . however, I found on a St. Maarten site that the taxis themselves charge $3 ea. way or in some cases $5 round trip service, waaaaaay cheaper ($6 max/person) than a $32 PKG. Does this sound 'bout right, just hail the water taxi there and bypass the pkg??!!:eek::D

The water taxi service is made up of the 3 large tenders used in the days when St. Martin had no docks. The service is a 3 stop circle around the harbor, leaving the new AC Wathey cruise ship pier, stopping at the downtown dock (where the tenders used to berth) and then continuing to Bobby's Marina at the end of Front Street before returning to the Wathey pier. You buy a wrist bracelet ($5.00) which lets you get on and off the whole day as many times as you wish. For people who intend to go to P-Burg for shopping, return to the ship and then head out again, it is a good deal. Remember, these tenders hold 200 + people so it is not a "taxi" service but a small prepaid ferry service.

The Princess deal smells. What else do they give you for the $32 cost?

If your plans for the island revolve around an excursion then you don't need the ferry service at all since busses, taxis, rental cars, etc. all operate from the Wathey pier.

Seems like a rip! :eek: St Martin is so easy to get around - and the $$$ are easy and simple...... don't lock yourself in to a ship deal - you will be so glad.....

also - because you don't know what kind of "chair" you are getting - you will find the beaches offer fabulous lounging chairs, etc...... :)

St Martin so so fabulous! Just get off the ship - and it will all come together! Go to the beach on your own, and shopping -

For the excursion price mentioned above, I'd certainly just do it on my own. With an all-day Water Taxi pass for $5, you should be able to find chairs and a complete lunch with drinks for the difference in cost.

This is a Water Taxi: (click)

th_DSCN0416.jpg

Certainly doesn't carry anywhere near 200.

gary

When we were there last May the Water Taxi price was $5.00 unlimited use per person. We were able to get chairs and umbrellas on the beach at Phillipburg for under $10.00 each, and buckets of beer for about $8.00.

We thought it was great deal, and a whole lot cheaper than the ship was offering. :)

Archived