Where is best snorkeling in Caribbean?

billie5

I am not sure where to post a topic about all Caribbean ports of call, so I am going to give it a shot here, and maybe on one of the cruise line boards.

What are the best islands for snorkeling?

The question is not academic. We are going on a 2 week cruise which will include Bahamas, Tortola, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Vincent, Trinidad, Bonaire, and Aruba. That is to say, just about the whole western Caribbean except Dominica, and two of the Dutch Caribbean islands. I would like to snorkel in two or three of the best locations, but which ones?

Bonaire, I believe, would be on anyone's list, but beyond that I am really not sure. I would appreciate any advice from someone who is more experienced.

Thanks.

Bill

I'd recommend posting this question on the scuba and snorkeling board which can be found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

I loved the snorkeling in Aruba and Barbados. In Barbados, I recommend the Silvermoon I or II (www.oceanadventures.bb )

I haven't yet gotten to snorkel in St. Maarten or St. Lucia. If you decide not to snorkel in St. Lucia, I highly recommend taking an island tour with Cosol (www.cosol-tours.com). He does offer snorkeling but I didn't take advantage of it when I toured with him.

Bonaire is the BEST. We snorkeled from the shore and saw so many different types of fish. We hired Renee. She took us to a couple of different places. Check out the Bonaire board.

I did the Silvermoon II in Barbados. It was very nice catamaran. We snorkled/swam with the turtles. It was very interesting and the turtles were very cool ! The other snorkel spot I would not rate very high, it was just ok. Maybe it was the visability the day I was there. ( I think I might be spoiled after snorkeling at Bonaire) I would recommend this tour.

I did the ship's snorkel excursion a couple of years ago. From what I remember it was OK. (Again, I think Bonaire spoiled me)

A friend did a snorkel tour from Tortola. He said is was very good.

Archived