Actual time to process passport

soccermommie

Trying to decide what to do - regular or expedited passport application. When we booked our cruise on the Elation, we were told that a passport was not required (birth certificate and driver's license were all that would be needed); however, when we received our documents today, there was a blue slip of paper inserted in the folder that states that a passport is required for US citizens.

Needless to say, I'm a bit concerned. We leave five weeks from today. On the govement's website, it states that passports will be received within 6 weeks of application. I'm assuming that this time of year is not a particularly busy time for passport applications since the summer travel season is almost over. Just wondering within what timeframe people who have applied in the last few weeks have actually received their passports.

when we received our documents today, there was a blue slip of paper inserted in the folder that states that a passport is required for US citizens.

Needless to say, I'm a bit concerned. .

I got mine in about two weeks. But I'm confused. While staying in Belize, you might well need a Passport (same goes for Barbados). But there's usually an exemption for Cruise Ship passengers entering/leaving the country via the ship. Contact the State Department at http://travel.state.gov/passport/index.html to see if things have changed. It's always a good idea to get a Passport.

When I went on Monday July 19th the clerk told me that it would take 25 days. Im' not sailing until September so that's won't be a problem and luckily I still live in the same city I was born in and can always run to City Hall and get another birth certificate.

It took 6 weeks for my passport, my sister's was about the same. My infant niece's was less time her's was applied for in the mid-west whereas my sister and I are in the west. They will when you apply tell you how long it is taking and then you can decide. I would be a nervous Nelly and expedite them.

jleq-

That was exactly our understanding; and yet, what to make of this little blue slip of paper saying a passport is required? According to the gov website you linked, it does say that a passport is required for Belize; however, it sounds as if the requirements are geared toward longterm travelers rather than cruise passengers because it also states that they require sufficient funds (at least $60/night) and a departure ticket. I don't see anything that specifically addresses cruise passengers.

Maybe I should contact the office of tourism in Belize directly for an answer. I've been pondering contacting Carnival customer service, but we all know how unreliable the information can be depending on who you get there...

Maybe I'll post another thread asking recent Elation cruisers if passport was required.

That was exactly our understanding; and yet, what to make of this little blue slip of paper saying a passport is required? .

1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778). That toll-free number is available 24/7 for Passport info

Archived