Confused about NYC departure port

stiffaney

I've looked all over the website and cannot find a clear answer to my question: We're looking to book the Miracle out of New York. When I went to the website for the cruise terminal they ask you to choose Manhattan or Brooklyn cruise terminal. How do I know which one the Miracle leaves out of and how much of a hassle is it to leave out of NYC? We will probably drive up, (only a 6 hr. drive north)so is it better to drive and try to find a hotel that we can leave our car there during the entire week (or either pay to leave our car at the terminal) or just fly in? Sorry for sooo many questions but looking for cruisers with experience with NYC! Thanks :D

Correct the ship is docking at the NYC terminal. not brooklyn. As far as driving up for what it will probally cost you to drive pay fpr gas and then parking might be cheaper to fly up. NYC parking is very expencive all the time espically if you want to leave it for a week or so. I know a few weeks ago i parked my work truck in the city in a gararge for no more than 15-20 minutes and it costed me about $25 doller's for that bit of time. Yes some gararges do run specials for people on cruises and last time i cheked they were not to much of a deal if you want your car parked behind a chain link fence in a "not so good neighborhood" and don't forget no gararges are respobsible for theft, fire, act of god, flood, tornado, hurricane, or anything else, so it's a at your own risk. Only other thing i can think of is rent a car at home drive it to nyc and return it and hop a cab to the pier and then do it again in reverse.Hope this helps

Personally, if it is only a six hour drive I would leave at 6 am and get to the Pier at noon and not have to hassle a hotel. Flying is much more expensive. NY City doesn't have hotels that provide free parking in Manhattan(except one or two and they don't allow a weeks worht of free parking). The hotels by the airports do have free parking but then you have to get to the port itself- no one has free transfers to Manhattan. Parking isn't inexpensive in Manhattan. The cruise terminal site does have a calendar which shows at which terminal(Manhattan or Brooklyn) the cruise leaves from. RC and Celebrity leave from NJ's Port Liberty also in NY harbor...

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/sched.html

Correct the ship is docking at the NYC terminal. not brooklyn. As far as driving up for what it will probally cost you to drive pay fpr gas and then parking might be cheaper to fly up. NYC parking is very expencive all the time espically if you want to leave it for a week or so. I know a few weeks ago i parked my work truck in the city in a gararge for no more than 15-20 minutes and it costed me about $25 doller's for that bit of time. Yes some gararges do run specials for people on cruises and last time i cheked they were not to much of a deal if you want your car parked behind a chain link fence in a "not so good neighborhood" and don't forget no gararges are respobsible for theft, fire, act of god, flood, tornado, hurricane, or anything else, so it's a at your own risk. Only other thing i can think of is rent a car at home drive it to nyc and return it and hop a cab to the pier and then do it again in reverse.Hope this helps

One way car rentals to and from NY City are notoriously expensive(they charge a drop fee). NY City law requires garages to have insurance up to $25,000 per car. You own car insurance(if you have comprehensive) also covers you. The Cruise terminal parking in Manhattan is extraordinarily secure and is on the roof of the terminal. The one in Brooklyn is a chain link at ground level but it is patrolled and no one has yet reported any problem there. No garage in the area of the one in Manhattan runs a special for cruises and there are no close garages at the one in Brooklyn.

We drove down from Albany and was very easy to get to. I think it was $140 for 7 days. Walk to the elevator and your at the boarding area. Just remember to note which of the 2 areas you parked in. When we got back couldnt imagine where our car was. Had to go back to the elevator and walk apx 1/2 block

Another option, if you prefer to sit back and relax, is Amtrak from Virginia Beach or Newport News to Penn Station in NYC. It may take longer, but driving for 6 hours after a cruise seems to spoil it for me. Also, 6 hours may be on a good day with no road work, accidents, etc. Mapquest says about 6.5 hours from Virginia Beach. We drive from Baltimore to the Outer Banks and it usually takes about 5-5.5 hours on a good day. ;)

I put in some random dates in August on the Amtrak site and it looks as though it may cost approximately $425 roundtrip for 2 adults.

You have several options, so good luck. ;)

FYI over 1/3 of the parking at the NY Cruise Terminal is closed due to the pier refurbishment. The last couple of times I have been there the parking on the other 2 piers was full, including contractors vehicles and equipment to do with the refurbishment.

Archived