Lirica Sea Sickness

sja307

:) We are going on a Caribbean Cruise on the Lirica in April 2007. Can anybody tell me if they had sea sickness whilst on board?? if so is there any medication to stop it. We are first time cruisers, and would appreciate any advice.

Thanx Sue :)

:) We are going on a Caribbean Cruise on the Lirica in April 2007. Can anybody tell me if they had sea sickness whilst on board?? if so is there any medication to stop it. We are first time cruisers, and would appreciate any advice.

The best preventative is Bonine. I'm not sure if you live in the USA, but if not, ask for meclizine. Take it the night before your cruise.. and take it every evening before bed.

Most people don't get seasick on modern cruise ships due to the stabilizers, but if you think you do.. then Bonine is a good preventative. You only take it once a day.. but it does tend to make you a bit sleepy.. which is why I recommend you take it before bed.

If you DO get seasick, the best natural remedy is ginger. Take along some candied ginger... or go to the health food store and buy some REAL ginger ale. Read the label to make sure it contains real ginger, and not ginger flavoring.

My wife and I had good results by using the transderm scop patches - you need to get a prescription from your doctor for them but they really worked for us without any drowsiness side effects. You just put a patch behind your ear and change it every 2 - 3 days.

Were never sick on board in December. Carry Bonine (non drowsy dramamine) or you can get the same thing at the reception desk on the ship free of charge.

On the Jan. 9 -20 Lirica cruise we had fairly rough seas and one very rough night when waves reached 20 -25 feet and wind was about 50 MPH. Having been on a great number of cruises I can vouch for the fact that the Lirica rides the seas very well. Some larger ships I have sailed were not as stable.

I always take a bottle of ginger root tablets in case I feel queasy but it was never needed on the Lirica.

• 2 weeks later...
:confused: Help me out here - first trip to Caribbean in a long time. What shots are recommended for visiting Jamaica and the Central American ports, please?

Thanks a bunch:)

GoldieAZ

Phoenix, AZ

What central American ports are you going to? You don't need shots for Jamaica or the Carribean. Check with your TA about shots if you're going somewhere where you need them they should be able to tell you.

Our ports are Cartagena, San Blas, Cristobal, Puerto Limon and Roatan. (Along the Central American Eastern seaboard) The LAST thing I would want to do is become ill on our cruise. Considering how much extra STUFF I tend to pack, getting a shot seems like a small act to perform to stay healthy. Thanks,

Goldie AZ

We loved Roatan. No shots needed there either. I am envious. We are sailing Opera April 1st. Any sugestions for family with two boys 13 and 10, and a girl 8 for Granada, Barbados or Domincan Republic. Which stop is best for snorkelling or for best beach?

We just returned from the 1/31 Lirica itinerary. Crew kept stating that it was the best weather they had ever seen on that itinerary. None the less, the first sea day was windy and rocky and many people spent time in their cabins coping and by that evening people were sporting sea bands they didn't have the day before.

The CDC cites San Blas and most of the other ports as malaria sources. We encountered very few mosquitos on the whole trip but it depends on the excursions you choose as to your risk of exposure. On this trip and one last year to Mexico and some Central America ports we chose to take the weekly medication. Most people don't even bother to think about it, but we believe it is best for us to error on the side of safety if we are going to be in dense foilage and shaded areas even during the day.

Archived