Why can you bring wine but not beer?

twobluecats

I recall that on our last Celebrity cruise in 2004 my husband picked up some beer in San Francisco and brought it back onboard with no problem. I understand now that the liquor policy has changed quite a bit and caused quite a controversy.

I'm just wondering why you can bring two bottles of wine onboard but no beer or liquor? Doesn't make much sense to me.

People that bring wine on board typically do so because they have a favorite wine that they cannot get on board. In addition, if they want to consume that wine in the dining room they will be charged a $25 corkage fee. I think Celebrity doesn't see much loss of revenue in allowing people to bring a couple of bottles of wine on board. On the other hand, many people that drink beer will consume a large quantity of it during a cruise. I guess Celebrity envisions masses of people coming on the ship with cases of beer and a resulting large loss in revenue. I would imagine that during a typical cruise they sell far more cans of beer than they do bottles of wine.

If they carried any decent beer, that argument might hold water, but when we went, they had *nothing* worth drinking. I'm from Oregon and love microbrew, but won't drink slug bait for anything.

Just a hunch...but I bet Jen ain't a NASCAR fan!:D

I'm particularly fond of Deschutes Brewery, but have found a wide range of microbrews that I liked. Zenith had *nothing* dark last time. Not one thing I wanted to drink.

I don't drink a lot of beers... I will have one, often with a meal, and so I like it to be a *very* good beer. Black Butte Porter....mmmmm....

Jen--hubby is the same way---kinda a beer snob, if you will. I can't see folks bringing on cases and cases of beer, but just as two bottles of wine can be enjoyed in the room prior to dinner or on leisurely sea days, a few beers is also nice.

Travelingmom--Celebrity's web site indicates two bottles of wine is acceptable.

I'm particularly fond of Deschutes Brewery, but have found a wide range of microbrews that I liked. Zenith had *nothing* dark last time. Not one thing I wanted to drink.

I don't drink a lot of beers... I will have one, often with a meal, and so I like it to be a *very* good beer. Black Butte Porter....mmmmm....

Jenrose,

Deschutes Mirror Pond is one of my all time favorites! :D

Jeffrey

to my knowledge I was not "allowed" to bring on wine either. I always wondered about the corkage fee given outside wine was prohibited

( or so I thought) Anyone know if wine is permissable? I sail in nine days. Thanks

This is currently Celebrity's alcohol 'policy du jour' copied directly from their web site:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol.

Archived