Passport Need for Bahamas/Feb 2007

Here's the link to the U.S. Dept of State Passport Agency information page:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

It is not required that you have a passport but is strongly recommended by cruiselines. If, for instance, you miss the ship at any port or have to fly home for any reason while on your Caribbean cruise, you won't be able to re-enter the U.S. without a passport. No, it's not required but like insurance, you never know if you'll need it until you do. Not having one could wind up being penny wise, pound foolish.

We see so many people who don't have travel insurance and they have to miss their cruise for any reason (flight problems, family emergencies, health issues, job changes, etc.) think that they can get the cruiseline to give them their money back. They don't think anything will ever happen to them so they don't spent the money on insurance. I am willing to bet that we will see reports of people stranded and angry after the new regulations are in effect.

You are correct. it is NOT Mandatory until 2008..Unless you are going to fly out of the USA. For cruises a drivers license and cert birth cert is sufficient. I actually talked to Royal Caribbean today just to double check.

I am going to get passports for me and my husband this year and for the kids next year. There has been much debate on this board recently. You may refer to the thread I posted a few weeks ago..

Hope this helps.

Carla

Archived