Conquest only Questions! Post 'em Here!

ShoMeChiefsFan

We did Sandals while we were there last week. It was really nice. I was able to get a couple of lounge chairs underneath an almond tree - the rum flows freely, the guys at the bar are awesome at making drinks, the Red stripe can be ordered in buckets... I didn't like the hamburgers (boiled) but that's the only thing I have to complain about. They do snorkeling, catamaran, windsurfing thingies....

My husband stepped on a sea urchin in the water and the guys at the little snorkel place put some amonia on it. Even that didn't mess up the experience.

They have a dance contest at the end. I recommend. LOL

We are sailing Oct 7..party of 12...and have booked the Sandal's excursion through Carnival. I read that we have to attend some kind of "tour of the property"...some of the guys are not happy. Can you tell me about that...how long it took, etc? Did you book thru Carnival?

Also, since you have just recently returned...any "don't miss" advice?

I have spent the past 3 hours reading this thread. I'm a little possessed, I guess, and very excited about our first cruise. We leave on our 30th anniversary - 12/23 - and we are counting the days.

Thank you to everyone who has given advice here. I've taken note of several things and printed out a few things, too.

We are sailing Oct 7..party of 12...and have booked the Sandal's excursion through Carnival. I read that we have to attend some kind of "tour of the property"...some of the guys are not happy. Can you tell me about that...how long it took, etc? Did you book thru Carnival?

Also, since you have just recently returned...any "don't miss" advice?

We just got back from our cruise a couple of weeks ago and booked Sandals through Carnival. The tour is not really a tour. You go inside sit at the stage-show area and they tell what you can do while on property like water sports and so on. It takes all of about 10 minutes or so and then you are free to do what you want. Just a suggestion if you want to do water sports sign up early as they tend to fill up fast. The beach is great, food and drinks awesome, you will have a great time.

I am a first time cruiser. Do you need your social security card to board. I have my birth cert. and valid drivers license. I seem to have misplaced or hiden from myself mine and my husbands ss card:( . Please help.

You don't need a SS card to sail. You will need a passport very soon though.

I haven't read through all the posts yet, so forgive me if this has already been discussed. We've been on 2 Disney cruises and my DH would like to do something different that has a little more adult activities. We're looking to cruise again in summer 09. Living in the Dallas area, Galveston would be a lot cheaper to depart from.

I've always heard that Carnival is a "party ship". Would the Conquest be suited for a 10 yr old?

TIA!

Jen

We were on the Conquest last week (sailed 9/16) and absolutely loved it. We are considering booking our next trip and are thinking of a balcony stateroom this time. I read a few reviews about what the best balcony is but of course I can't remember what they said now. I remember something about some of the rooms having extra large balconies. Can anybody tell me if the balconies are really worth it and what the best balcony rooms are?

I haven't read through all the posts yet, so forgive me if this has already been discussed. We've been on 2 Disney cruises and my DH would like to do something different that has a little more adult activities. We're looking to cruise again in summer 09. Living in the Dallas area, Galveston would be a lot cheaper to depart from.

I've always heard that Carnival is a "party ship". Would the Conquest be suited for a 10 yr old?

TIA!

Jen

My boys were 8 on our first cruise (Ecstasy) and will be 10 when we sail the Conquest in March. They loved it then and cannot wait for the next one. We never encountered drunks or inappropriate behavior at all and we sailed spring break. Even though Carnival used to be a party cruiseline, it really is more a family cruiseline with something for everyone. Go and enjoy!

Can anyone who has just sailed the Conquest give me any info on the new cell phone and wi-fi hot spots on the ship? Is there a charge for using your own lap top in these wi-fi areas? Did anyone use your cell phone on the ship and do you know how you will be charged by your cell provider for this service? We're sailing the Conquest on Jan. 6, 2008 and might have our 9 yo granddaughter in our cabin, without her Mommy, so it would be good if she could be in contact while we're on the ship. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Katcruiser

Can anyone who has just sailed the Conquest give me any info on the new cell phone and wi-fi hot spots on the ship? Is there a charge for using your own lap top in these wi-fi areas? Did anyone use your cell phone on the ship and do you know how you will be charged by your cell provider for this service? We're sailing the Conquest on Jan. 6, 2008 and might have our 9 yo granddaughter in our cabin, without her Mommy, so it would be good if she could be in contact while we're on the ship. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Katcruiser

You have to pay the regular rates if you are using your own computer. They give you a password so that you can access their system. The only savings you get is if you download your messages, answer them offline, and the log back in to send. Other than that, it is easier to use their equipment.

If you use your cellphone while bouncing off the ship's cell tower, you will be charged a roaming charge. I have heard anywhere from $4.99 to $6.50 per minute.

Dave

TIA!

Jen

Jen,

Keep in mind that most of this occurs on the 3 and 4 day sailings. When you start getting into the 5 and 7 day sailings, you are getting into a different demographic as the folks tend to be older.

Dave

Katcruiser

i have sprint and used my cell almost everyday from my balcony... ill let u know when i get the bill !!! just got off the ship this past sunday ......

TIA!

Jen

absolutely camp carnival is awesome. There will be plenty of children the same age as your child! Everyone parties on Carnival!!

My G-kids LOVE Camp Carnival. My G-son is 5 yo and our Jan. 6 Conquest cruise will be his 4th Carnival cruise!!! I have a 9 yo and an 8 yo granddaughter and they really enjoy the activities. Each year gets better and better. I wouldn't hesitate to take the Conquest with a 10 yo, so book it and have a blast!

We just got back from our cruise a couple of weeks ago and booked Sandals through Carnival. The tour is not really a tour. You go inside sit at the stage-show area and they tell what you can do while on property like water sports and so on. It takes all of about 10 minutes or so and then you are free to do what you want. Just a suggestion if you want to do water sports sign up early as they tend to fill up fast. The beach is great, food and drinks awesome, you will have a great time.

I concur. It's just a short schpiel about what they have there, where to eat and swim and an attempt to get you to come back on your own. It's done very well and not offensive at all. And the dance contest afterwards is funny. They give away free bottles of rum to the best man and woman. When we were there a married couple won both. LOL

TIA!

Jen

We had done 2 Disney cruises with our kids (now 15, 12, and 10) and just returned from a Conquest cruise in April. I can tell you from our experience that the kids won't have nearly as much to do on Carnival as they did on Disney - which obviously caters to families. I don't know if Carnival is as much the "party ship" as it was in the past, but there are definitely less family-friendly activities than on a Disney cruise. Even at my kids' ages, we might consider another Disney cruise for this reason, even though they are much more expensive. Or, we may try a RCL cruise next time - I hear they have been ranked pretty highly for family cruises. Hope that helps.

i have sprint and used my cell almost everyday from my balcony... ill let u know when i get the bill !!! just got off the ship this past sunday ......

Thanks, cantwaittosail! I'm curious to see what your charges will be, so please let me know. Someone told me you could tell your cell provider in advance that you would be using your phone on a cruise and they could take steps to see you don't have to pay exorbitant prices, but we'll see.

Hi,

This will be my first time on the Conquest. Has anyone ever gotten food to go from the dining room off of that night's menu items. Is that allowed, since room service limits their menu? I might like to have a gooood meal in my room one evening.

I am sure it will be fine, I was on there last week and to be honest I didn't think the food was that great either on the buffet or the dining room. Room service smoke salmon was good. The fish and chips are really good and they are hidden and only available until 2:30pm. upstairs from the buffet.