Planning family cruise questions

TimInOhio

My wife and I are thinking about taking my parents on a Princess cruise for their 40th anniversary in 2010. We'd like to clandestinely invite all my parents' friends and family. This raises several questions:

• How far in advance should I start mailing/emailing/phoning people? I'm thinking that the more notice I give people, the better response I'll get. But how far in advance is too far, if there is such a thing?

• Our son will be 7 1/2 then, and we are expecting another child, who would be 3 (or nearly 3) when we sail. Any recommendations on getting 2 adjoining balcony rooms (for the 6 of us) or a mini-suite?

• Depending on how many people join us, will Princess allow me to use a lounge or something to have a quick family meet & greet after we board? I'm thinking that after we are onboard, we'll take my parents to one of the bars or lounges (prior to muster), where all our friends and family will be waiting.

• We'd like to surprise my parents with all the friends and family once we are onboard. We would like to gently ask everyone that is joining us to stay at a different hotel if they are arrive in the port city a day early, so as to not ruin the surprise. Also, I'd like the others to avoid our flights for the same reason. Any thoughts on this?

• Should I ask for "votes" on when we want to go, or the itinerary, and if so, how many choices should I offer? Or, knowing that I can't please everyone at once, just pick the date and the itinerary and stick to it, and present just that 1 cruise to people? Since this cruise isn't until 2010, I won't have a firm itinerary until late'08/early'09, since Princess doesn't have cruises listed that far in advance.

• I'm pretty sure I'll set all this up with my TA in advance, and point everyone to her to make their arrangements. Is their any reason for me not do this?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Family group cruises are GREAT!

Having said that you sound like you're on the right track. I would at least try to pick a tentative destination...ie E. Caribbean or Alaska and at least the month you plan to travel as far in advance as possible - then you can ask your travel agent to find the best deal to suit your plans. By picking the destination and month you can give people lots of time to save and plan.

Then along with your TA you can browse this site to get ideas for a itinerary that suits you. Personally I'd just pick something "you" want or a great deal your TA can arrange.....I wouldn't ask for opinions cause you'll probably get a lot of them (as well as a lot of hurt feelings if you don't take everyone's advice).

If you check the boards here you'll see most families prefer two cabins (and bathrooms) over a suite.

Your TA can surely help arrange the hotel and coordinate all the reservations (let them do the work) - as for the surprise....it may be hard to keep a secret for a "long" time (so the sooner family starts planning the more likely that someone will "leak" the news).

Good luck and have a wonderful time!

Well my goodness...I've never planned such a cruise...but I can give you my thoughts anyway :)

I think its too early to ask people offically if they want to go or not. What I would start doing for then next couple of years is to sort of 'talk it up' when you see people you want to invite. Mention what you're thinking of, ask if they might be ineterested (obviously no commitment at this point), and then you can get some general input as to what they would care most about (specific itinerary, keeping price to a certain level, etc). I would say a year in advance would be the absolute earliest that I'd start giving people specific dates etc...and even then I probably wouldn't make them commit for sure until maybe 5 or 6 months ahead.

I would guess princess would give you a lounge. I would ask customer service. If not I would think you could all meet in a specific lounge "unoffically".

As far as the two adjoining rooms vs. suite....i would check the pricing on both. Remember that w/ a suite your kids will pay the 3rd and 4th person rates....as opposed to everybody paying the 1st and 2nd person rates w/ two adjoining rooms. If its close I'd say go for the suite....they are usually more room than two adjoining rooms and nicer (though some of this will be ship specific).

Lets see....what else...oh..keeping it a suprise. That may be tough. Are people coming from all over the country or just your general area? I don't think you can really tell people not to take a specific flight. If you really want to keep it a suprise maybe make up some reason to go the departure city a few days early and do some sight seeing? Otherwise maybe you could present them with a little 'suprise party' before leaving revealing everybody who will be going. I don't know....its a tough one.

Anyway....enjoy your cruise planning :)

Archived