bonine?

prg909

i,m a little worried about seasickness on our next cruise , and i was wondering

whats the best remedy if you are planning to have a couple of drinks on board

i know you are not supposed to drink with some of these remedys

XFed, Ginger has been used throughout history as a natural anti-nausea remedy.... most people remember having the flu as a child and having mom give them ginger ale... Ginger Snaps, etc. My physician told me to take the ginger caps rather than prescribing me the bonine, due to my concern with drinking and drowsiness... we knew that the bonine would be available on the ship if the ginger did not work, but it worked perfectly. I take ginger whenever I have the flu or any time I feel nauseasted.... in any form, it really helps.

From one that has always been prone to carsick, seasick, airsick, etc., I have tried many. I found that the Scopolamine patch (Transderm Scop) works the best for me. I put the patch on the morning of the cruise, and dont worry about it for the duration. One of the reasons I didnt go cruising for so many years was the fear of seasickness, because I got it so easy. With this, I am ready to go all the time now.

This subject is also like many others - what works for one may not work for others. All I know is it worked for me, and I didnt have any reactions or side effects that I was aware of. I had plenty of the 'drink of the day' as well as others, and didnt have any adverse reactions.

The down side is that it is available only by prescription. The up side is that it allowed my to do a lot of things I was missing because I got motion sick so easy. Only those that have had severe motion sickness will understand....

Why risk it at all? Use a Relief Band, the only FDA approved device for motion sickness. The best things are: 1. You can use it ONLY when you have symptoms, 2. There are no serious side effects and 3. You can put it on after symptoms begin and get relief in just a couple of minutes.

These aren't the little elastic bands with a ball in them (sea bands) which rarely work. This is an electronic device that looks like a wrist watch. You can find more info here: http://www.reliefband.com/main.html and they're available at http://www.drugstore.com amongst other places.

Highly recommended!

Just a note about seasickness. Normal seasickness might respond to Bonine, Dramamine or ginger, but we hit the side winds of tropical storm Marty last October on our first cruise ever. We went from NYC to Bermuda on Oct. 11th and we were later told that we had 11 foot swells. (might have been bigger, who knows?) Anyway, if this happens, go to the doctor on board. Those on our cruise who got sick said the shot they were given helped tremendously. We were the lucky ones, sitting at dinner while the ship rocked asking what's on the menu. Sleeping was another thing altogether. We didn't do as well there. Hard to sleep when your feet are higher than your head or your left side is higher than your right. We slept better the second night. Also, walk where there are railings. Holding on to something while walking gives you a feeling of security.

--Joanne

Celebrity Zenith 10/2003

coming fall 2004: Fasincation

They did not charge us for the bonine ... Our last night on the ship my BF was SO SICK... It was horrible... we thought he was seasick, tried everything... The infirmary was closed, but there was someone around that grabbed me some Bonine for him to try... it turned out he got a hold of something bad in Mexico and it had to run its course... Montezumas Revenge :(

my 75 yo aunt was on a cruise with us once. the seas were so rough that the CAPTAIN was in the infirmary getting the shot - no kidding! saw it myself!

the amount of barf bags in the corriders was amazing....they lined the hallways with empty ones and then as folks (pax and crew) filled them the crew collected them. we watched a waiter carrying a tray of coffee.....as he was walking on the lido deck, the ship just suddenly went out from under him....the cups stayed in the air as he, then the tray then finally the cups came back down to the deck. if it hadn't been so scary it would have been comical. anyway...back to my aunt. she was sick for 2 days before we could get her to go to the infirmary...and they had an outside with porthole, but lowest possible deck stateroom that was miniscule.

She finally went to the infirmary right after the captain. Within 20 minutes she was on board eating her first real meal of the cruise. She didn't have one minute of nausea after that. It cost her $75, she didn't bother trying to claim it on her medicaid, but it very well may have saved her life. She had been getting so dehydrated prior to that shot.

So, not trying to scare you, things like that are rare....BUT, i wanted to reassure you that if you need the shot, it is almost guaranteed to work...and don't put it off!!!!

Archived