Diving in Roatan Question

scubajeff

Hello, My wife and I will be on the NCL Sea in Jan 22 and we are planning on diving in Roatan (we are both certified). I have heard not to book through the ship because of the mny divers on these types of trips. First does anyone know who NCL books their dives with in Roatan?
Second qustion, I have heard good things about both Bay Island Beach Resort and also Subway Watersports, can anyone give me feed back on those two operations (positive and negative). I cannot decide on which sounds better.
Thanks in advance!

"When I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself"
G Thorogood

I believe that it may be Anthony Key's resort that books with NCL--as this is who Carnival books with (and there is only ability for one ship to port at a time).
I would think that it would be logical that they also are the vendor for NCL.
I cannot speak for the other operator, but Bay Island Beach Resort is very comfortable and homey. The dives were incredible. Did I say incredible? I meant INCREDIBLE. Please don't miss this port for dives. You will LOVE it.
BIBR had covered open boats (like a boston whaler). There was plenty of room for all of us (we had 8 in our group--three different boats went out in different directions that morning). The folks that were staying at the resort spoke very highly of them before we started...and I could see why.
We were picked up at the pier, fed breakfast and lunch and then taken back to the pier(plus the two tanks we did). Great service and a very "homey" feel off of the boats.
DM's were terrific. Could not have asked for better!

09/04/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;09;04;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I used subway watersports when I was there in March. Very nice people and a fantastic reef. They also pick you up at the pier. When I went my wife and I had a boat and 2 dm's to ourselves. ( I was doing my certification dives so I had my own instructor and another instructor went along with my wife who is not certified).

NCL Sea 3/03
RCCL Sovereign 10/03
NCL Dream 3/7/2004
CCL Jubilee 7/24/2004

We [I]really[/I] liked Luna Beach Resort for diving.

Here's the link to my review: [url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=139097554&m=18010463"]Luna Beach Review[/url] (includes some pictures we took)

and to Luna's website:
[url="http://www.lunabeachresort.com"]www.lunabeachresort.com[/url]

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man, I have chalked up many a mile..." ~Jimmy Buffett

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We had a group of 14 that just returned from BIBR and we had a great time! Some were divers, some snorkelers and 1 resort dive (my DD who was made VERY comfortable by Sean).

We also were picked up at the docks, we didn't have breakfast but they did provide fruit snacks between dives and had a great fried chicken lunch. The people were super friendly and the resort very comfortable.

Would recommend them in a heartbeat!

Archived