Karibuni - Ilet Pinel

abenaki

I was just reading about this restaurant at Ilet Pinel in Condé Nast Traveller. For someone who likes a good lunch as part of a day at a quiet beach, is this a good restaurant and does it warrent spending the day on the sand at Ilet Pinel? We don't really like the action and crowds at Orient at all.

thanks

We brought our own lunch, so we didn't eat lunch at the restaurant, but we did enjoy the peace and quiet of Pinel. This might be a beach that you enjoy.

I have some photos in my signature. Check the ones on St. Maarten.

I was just reading about this restaurant at Ilet Pinel in Condé Nast Traveller. For someone who likes a good lunch as part of a day at a quiet beach, is this a good restaurant and does it warrent spending the day on the sand at Ilet Pinel? We don't really like the action and crowds at Orient at all.

thanks

It's excellent! We eat there every year. The lobster salad is nicely done but we always get the gratis full bottle of MaDouDou Coconut Rum to get us a good start for the afternoon.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, Pinel island looks nice. Is it very small ,I mean we have teen boys, would it be safe for them to explore it while we sunbathe and there ae many ways on and off.

Thanks.

It's tiny, so unless they can't swim??? They should be fine.

i just saw your pictures of pinel isle and that decided it! beautiful pics. was the snorkeling any good? if not, we will make do with adult beverages:D thanks for your response.

We snorkeled off Yellow Beach and didn't find it very good. I have heard that there is good snorkeling off the other (left) side of the island. I would say it is worth the try!

Well of course they can swim, but how tiny is it, I mean, a mile across, or 100 yds. ? It didn't look crowded, but on cruise ship day does it fill up?

It is closer to 100+ yards across. If you scroll CLEAR to the right on this picture you can see the island and get an idea of how big it is. We didn't see other cruisers there, just locals and people staying on the island. There was only one other ship in port with us, and maybe they didn't get enough people from either ship to make up excursions to Pinel.

Well of course they can swim, but how tiny is it, I mean, a mile across, or 100 yds. ? It didn't look crowded, but on cruise ship day does it fill up?

According to Google Earth:

(click thumbnail)

th_Pinel2.jpg

Pinel is about 500 yards by 600 yards, and at the closest point is about 200 yards from the mainland.

gary

Pinel is indeed a beautiful spot- shallow clear warm water . We ate at the restaurant 2 weeks ago when we were on a land vacation and the food was wonderful.

I dont know wken you are cruising but UNFORTUNATELY, Pinel has been CLOSED to tourists for the last week or so. The FERRY BOAT CAPTAINS AND RESTAURANT HELP ARE ON STRIKE. There are no services on the Island. I dont know when it will be resolved.

You mighy want to follow the TTOL St Martin board before you sail to see if the dispute has been resolved and the boats are running again.

TTOL.com( Travel Talk Online)

If you're sailing in the next week or so, you might have a problem enjoying a day on Pinel, but I suspect that everything will be worked out very soon.

The local Municipal Council decided last Thursday night that it would support Mme. Larmonie, the St. Martin businesswoman who sparked the strike by supportive ferry captains on February 7, after construction work to convert her boutique on Pinel Island into a restaurant was halted by the authorities in January.

It was also announced on Friday that the local Mayor, Albert Fleming, will meet with all concerned parties in the next 10 days to try to resolve the issue.

Even moving on island time, I expect this to be resolved shortly. Everyone involved knows what it is doing to the local economy.

gary

Archived