Day Pass at the Hyatt?

WorkingMomNeedsaVacation

Going to GC in 4 weeks and I am thinking of getting a day pass at the Hyatt for me and the kids. DH will be SCUBA diving in the morning and join us around 1 pm. The convenience of telling him a well identified landmark such as the hotel is great. I emailed the Hyatt and confirmed they do sell day passes. Has anyone been there before?

I emailed the resort and this is what they sent back:

Thank you for your interest in our resort, We do offer a day pass to

cruise visitors at a cost of US$35 per person and that cost includes use

of the beach chairs, towels, pools etc. Passes are sold directly to

guests at the Seven Mile Beach Bar when they arrive to the resort.

If we decide to go, I'll post a review when we get back with pictures.

Haven't been to the Hyatt, but "Sea Grape Beach" is lovely. It is a bit further along Seven Mile Beach than the Hyatt. You pay about $20 for two loungers and a parasol, but entrance to the beach is free (if you didn't want loungers and alike). There is a bar/cafe there and a waitress walks around the beach taking orders. There is also a place right there that rents out sail boats, jet skis (very expensive though!) etc.

We considered going to the Hyatt last October (on day passes), but all we really wanted was the beach and loungers & parasol (the sea there is so fabulous, it would be mad to swim in a pool instead...). So Sea Grape Beach made financial sense and we didn't regret it - we spent a few hours there, then went back to the ship. Shared taxi cab (mini-van) was about $3.50/$4 per person each way I think.

Boo

My hubby and I are looking for a nice place in GC too... I just get more confused reading all the places to go! So... Is there any way you could go sooner so we would know BEFORE our trip in 26 days?! lol

Oh, how I wish I could. It is bitter cold here and it looks like it doesn't "warm up" until the end of the week. Maybe by then we'll be out of the teens and single digits!!!!! Leaving in less than 2 weeks, so I'll manage.

I will definitely post a review when I get back. I'm thinking of taking the kids on the excursion to Hell and the Turtle Farm first thing in the AM. I figured it would give us a chance to see some of the island and we wrap up by 10:30 which would be a good time to hit the beach. Also, it may ensure we don't have tendering problems!!! I'll let you know what we decide and how it was!

Oh, how I wish I could. It is bitter cold here and it looks like it doesn't "warm up" until the end of the week. Maybe by then we'll be out of the teens and single digits!!!!! Leaving in less than 2 weeks, so I'll manage.

I will definitely post a review when I get back. I'm thinking of taking the kids on the excursion to Hell and the Turtle Farm first thing in the AM. I figured it would give us a chance to see some of the island and we wrap up by 10:30 which would be a good time to hit the beach. Also, it may ensure we don't have tendering problems!!! I'll let you know what we decide and how it was!

It's freezing here too! We're at 13 F right now with a low of 6... brrr. Just under 3 weeks until we head to Florida! :D

Have fun on your trip as well. I look forward to reading your comments too. :)

I will definitely post a review when I get back. . . . I'll let you know what we decide and how it was!

My husband and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary in 2007. We will be in Grand Cayman on New Year's Day [NCL Jewel], which is where we honeymooned. We're looking for a lovely place to spend the day. Thank you for your help. Enjoy your cruise!:)

Connie

Haven't been to the Hyatt, but "Sea Grape Beach" is lovely. It is a bit further along Seven Mile Beach than the Hyatt. You pay about $20 for two loungers and a parasol, but entrance to the beach is free (if you didn't want loungers and alike). There is a bar/cafe there and a waitress walks around the beach taking orders. There is also a place right there that rents out sail boats, jet skis (very expensive though!) etc.

We considered going to the Hyatt last October (on day passes), but all we really wanted was the beach and loungers & parasol (the sea there is so fabulous, it would be mad to swim in a pool instead...). So Sea Grape Beach made financial sense and we didn't regret it - we spent a few hours there, then went back to the ship. Shared taxi cab (mini-van) was about $3.50/$4 per person each way I think.

Boo

Is snorkeling a possibility there? Is there a restaurant? Or is all of the food served outside? We are looking for a lovely place to spend New Year's Day and celebrate our 20th anniversary in Grand Cayman, where we spent our honeymoon. Is there a hotel there? Does this sound like what we are looking for? We are debating between the Hyatt & the Marriott, but perhaps we should consider Sea Grape, too. What do you think?

Thank you for any further information you have.:)

Connie

Sea Grape is a section of Seven Mile Beach between Public Beach and the Courtyard by Marriott. The Courtyard hotel is a short 100 yards away, but across the street from the beach.

Calico Jacks is the restaurant at Sea Grape. It is open air style.

I emailed the resort and this is what they sent back:

Thank you for your interest in our resort, We do offer a day pass to

cruise visitors at a cost of US$35 per person and that cost includes use

of the beach chairs, towels, pools etc. Passes are sold directly to

guests at the Seven Mile Beach Bar when they arrive to the resort.

If we decide to go, I'll post a review when we get back with pictures.

I went to the Hyatt website, couldn't see any way to email them to ask about the day pass. :confused: Can you help? Let us know if you go! I am wondering whether we can catch the ferry to Rum Point there at the Hyatt. I think we'd like to do that, if possible, for part of the day, then return to the Hyatt for lunch & swimming/snorkeling. Any advice?

Thanks so much.

Have a great cruise. :)

GG

///I am wondering whether we can catch the ferry to Rum Point there at the Hyatt.

Sorry. Rum Point ferry is out of operation. It hasn't been running in more than two years now. Doubtful it will resume anytime soon.

*Standard disclaimer. The ferry and all necessary infrastructure still exist. It is owned by Caribbean Marine Services - not the Hyatt, Rum Point, nor Red Sail Sports. It is still chartered for the sole use of Disney Cruise Lines in conducting a shore excursion, or more rarely for very large groups privately chartering it.

I went to the Hyatt website, couldn't see any way to email them to ask about the day pass. :confused: Can you help? Let us know if you go! I am wondering whether we can catch the ferry to Rum Point there at the Hyatt. I think we'd like to do that, if possible, for part of the day, then return to the Hyatt for lunch & swimming/snorkeling. Any advice?

Thanks so much.

Have a great cruise. :)

GG

I emailed directly to caymanreservation at hyatt dot com and got a quick response back from a gentleman named Ryan Williams, Reservation Coordinator. I think I got the email address from the website, but in any case, you can try that directly. We are a definite for the 20th, barring any rain or bad weather, so I'll definitely check back here and let you know what we think!

I took a mini-bus outside the pier to the Beach Club which is next door to The Hyatt. It cost $4/pp. When we left, we just walked back and caught a waiting bus back to the pier for the same price.

You buy the day pass from the hotel reception desk and although they prefer cash, you can pay the $25/pp fee via credit card if you push a bit. I had enough cash on me, of course, just in case. They supply towels and you can help yourself to their loungers, pools, hot tubs and other facilities. The bar staff is friendly and will run a tab for your day. Red Sail Sports is on-property and we did parasailing. It was fantastic.

The beach is perfect :)

I considered it worth the cost, especially when I looked over at The Beach Club which also charges a day rate, but was very crowded and without the great facilities we enjoyed.

Thanks for the review. I can't wait to go - we will be there in about a week and a half!!

Seriously, they wanted you to pay cash??? I would have assumed, being an internation hotel chain, credit cards would be widely accepted. I don't like carrying a lot of cash on me and would have just planned to charge my day there since there will be 4 of us. What about the bar? We'll want to get some lunch, drinks, etc. They MUST take credit cards.... right? I wonder if someone was just trying to pocket the $$ and not run it through Hyatt. That just seems odd to me. Surely if we were to go and stay at the Hyatt as overnight guests they would take my credit card. Why not for a day pass? I can take cash now that I know, but it just seems odd.

Were there a lot of cruise passengers there? Was it very crowded? How close is the pool to the beach? It looks like it is only steps away. Were there plenty of umbrellas available too?

Thanks!

I took a mini-bus outside the pier to the Beach Club which is next door to The Hyatt. It cost $4/pp. When we left, we just walked back and caught a waiting bus back to the pier for the same price.

You buy the day pass from the hotel reception desk and although they prefer cash, you can pay the $25/pp fee via credit card if you push a bit. I had enough cash on me, of course, just in case. They supply towels and you can help yourself to their loungers, pools, hot tubs and other facilities. The bar staff is friendly and will run a tab for your day. Red Sail Sports is on-property and we did parasailing. It was fantastic.

The beach is perfect :)

I considered it worth the cost, especially when I looked over at The Beach Club which also charges a day rate, but was very crowded and without the great facilities we enjoyed.

Hi Dagny & Working Mom,

Thanks so much for the email address and all the good information about the Hyatt's day pass. Did you eat lunch there? Outside or inside? How was that? We'll await WM's review after her cruise, but it sounds as if this is exactly what we've been looking for.

Really appreciate your help! :)

GG

Yes, you can pay via credit card - we did. It took about 10 minutes to run it through though, but the beach bar ran it through for our tab in moments - who knows. Do take enough cash though. As I said before, there is no need to email them, as they do not sell the passes online and will just tell you to show up. Policies can always change, of course.

It was virtually empty of guests and we may have been the only cruise passengers there. There were 3 ships in port at the time. The pools are indeed steps from the beach, as are the loungers, most of which have attached umbrellas.

We ordered lunch at the bar, also steps away from the water, and ate it outside by the beach. It was quite tasty. The property is not large so everything is within a few steps. The washrooms are spacious and very clean, and you can change into/out of bathing suits there. The pools and hot tubs were great, but the beach is the undisputed star - you won't want to get out. If they are parasailing, do it - it is great :)

Thanks so much! My husband and I are looking forward to being back in Grand Cayman again; we'll definitely go to the Hyatt. There will be 6 other ships in port the day we're there!! So no such luck as having an uncrowded beach, and it's also New Year's Day!!

You're upcoming Mediterranean cruise sounds fabulous.

Really appreciate the tips. :)

GG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the wonderful tip on The Hyatt offering a Day Pass. I think that has made my decision easy for our next cruise. We always make a point to eat lunch at Hemingways at The Hyatt & it is wonderful. It is a little expensive but splurge because they have the best crab cakes ever & I live in an area that claims fame to crab cakes. The conch fritters are also excellent.

My son loves a pool & the area at The Hyatt is beautiful. I have seen it many times while dining there.

Archived