Baboon sanctuary or Altun Ha ruins?

susanNjay

We are trying to decide between these two excursions for our cruise in April...

can anyone give us any advice about these?

We were in Belize in November and went cave tubing with cavetubing.com and we really had a great time...we would like to do something different this time...

Thanks!

--Susan

Hi I have not been there yet, but from reading these boards I would go for the Ruins if had to pick just one.

The "Baboon" Sanctuary is actually Howler monkeys and seems pretty cool, it is an area of local farmers who banded together to preserve these animals, and one must hire a guide to walk you thru the area there....it is NOT, however, apparently like a zoo....in other words you MAY or MAY NOT see the monks ...or may not see much of them. Time of day, heat, etc, may make them go into hiding tho from all accounts you will "hear" them howling.

As a stand alone excursion it doesn't seem that special, but may be nice IF you can add it on to the ruins. Some companies also add on the Zoo for a price, which might be nice, monkeys and jaugars and more there, tho it is apparently NOT like our US zoo's.

There was a pretty scary thread here of a gal who was bit by a monkey on a horseback excursion at Maruba...so I am not so sure i would want to get next to a monkey LOL

However, you CAN find some tours that include both the Altun Ha and the "Baboon" sanctuary if you look around, just make sure of the time so you don't run late...

another option, thru your cruiseline, is the Altun Ha = River Wallace excursion, that gets raves and seems to be best done thru cruise line in case it runs late so the ship does not leave without you

It is a one way trip on River Wallace to (or the reverse, from) the ruins....and there you are likely to see crocs, birds, iguanas, and howler monkeys (*or hear them howl).....so this might be the best option for you

I personally am leaning towards just a ruin tour. My bf and I go fishing in the Ocala Nat forest a LOT, and have fished a lot in Florida, he owns a boat, we have been in everglades, and frankly see iguanas a lot (*little ones) and birds and gators, gators in back yard canals etc...so we will skip the boat part.

River wallace and the ruins might be great for you tho? hth

(Yes, I am still dithering about what to do and where to do it LOL>> and I have months to go haha)

Archived