Deep sea fishing in Costa Maya???

sharecruises

Has anyone done deep sea fishing in Costa Maya (*or other Glory ports?)

Have you used *****??? good/bad/ or ??? thanks in advance

BF says he really really wants to do some deep sea fishing in Mexico

the ship tours don't look that great, can't eat the fish etc

This company is the one that has the Tequila Beach Club, they include beer and soda on the boat and the fishing folks can use Beach club afterwards

Best of all they will cook the fish they catch ...LOL...yum

add that to the nachos and salsa haha

I might go to the Tequila Beach club on an all inclusive pass while he fishes

I do like the fact they have lockers there

http://www.*****.com/Tour_TequilaBeach.cfm

I am emailing them to find out if he MUST have a group (he doesn't) or if they can "put together" groups at the pier/tequilla etc..or prebook to join a group or whatever??? Hopefully we can also find some people on the Glory for May 9th who might share a boat with him

http://www.*****.com/Tour_SportFishing.cfm

I also found this one called Mayahaul tours....not sure if it is the same or ? it seems to leave from Tequila Beach Club also....????

I also have seen some of the pictures of Costa Maya Port - some nice ones by Zydecocruiser, very helpful, thanks :) and they show tour booths with signs for the Tequila club, parasailing, snorkel tours and FISHING...DEEP SEA FISHING.....

SO....were they offering the deep sea tours at the pier, putting together groups??? thanks in advance

Has anyone done deep sea fishing in Costa Maya (*or other Glory ports?)

Have you used *****??? good/bad/ or ??? thanks in advance

BF says he really really wants to do some deep sea fishing in Mexico

the ship tours don't look that great, can't eat the fish etc

This company is the one that has the Tequila Beach Club, they include beer and soda on the boat and the fishing folks can use Beach club afterwards

Best of all they will cook the fish they catch ...LOL...yum

add that to the nachos and salsa haha

I might go to the Tequila Beach club on an all inclusive pass while he fishes

I do like the fact they have lockers there

http://www.*****.com/Tour_TequilaBeach.cfm

I am emailing them to find out if he MUST have a group (he doesn't) or if they can "put together" groups at the pier/tequilla etc..or prebook to join a group or whatever??? Hopefully we can also find some people on the Glory for May 9th who might share a boat with him

http://www.*****.com/Tour_SportFishing.cfm

this sounds awesome for my boyfriend, brother, brother-in-law, and the buds going on a cruise with us. i would love to hear feedback about anyone who has gone fishing with tequila beach.

• 3 months later...

Hello! I was doing a search on deep sea fishing for the different ports we will be going to, and stumbled onto this thread.

Did you end up using either of the tours??

My husband would LOVE to deep sea fish! Trying to find the right place to surprise him! (surprising him with the cruise as well, fishing would be the cherry on top!) :D

DH and I deep sea fished in Mahahual just three weeks ago and had a successful trip, catching 5 big fish! We went out on the Hannibal docked at Tequila Beach and chartered the boat for just the two of us. We gave the captain four of our fish but opted to have the resort cook up one of the Mahi-Mahi's for $5 for a HUGE plate of food. (included sticky rice, tortillas, tomato, avacado and lime). So fresh and SO GOOD!!!

Now, one word of warning. There is a reef off the coast of Mahahual about 30 feet off shore. Once a boat crosses over this you are in the "open seas" and from what gather from locals it is always choppy. The Hannibal is a 36 foot cabin cruiser and it rocked side to side at 90 degree angles from time to time. I grew up around boats and have never once gotten sick, but came close on this excursion. I have never been out on a boat in such conditions - but according to the captain, these are normal conditions here. Quite successful for fishing but it will make you miss dry (and stable) land. At least we didn't fall over board reeling stuff in like we thought we might!

Enjoy!

DH and I deep sea fished in Mahahual just three weeks ago and had a successful trip, catching 5 big fish! We went out on the Hannibal docked at Tequila Beach and chartered the boat for just the two of us. We gave the captain four of our fish but opted to have the resort cook up one of the Mahi-Mahi's for $5 for a HUGE plate of food. (included sticky rice, tortillas, tomato, avacado and lime). So fresh and SO GOOD!!!

Now, one word of warning. There is a reef off the coast of Mahahual about 30 feet off shore. Once a boat crosses over this you are in the "open seas" and from what gather from locals it is always choppy. The Hannibal is a 36 foot cabin cruiser and it rocked side to side at 90 degree angles from time to time. I grew up around boats and have never once gotten sick, but came close on this excursion. I have never been out on a boat in such conditions - but according to the captain, these are normal conditions here. Quite successful for fishing but it will make you miss dry (and stable) land. At least we didn't fall over board reeling stuff in like we thought we might!

Enjoy!

Teebuccs - How long were you out there? Did they reduce the price since it was just two of you?

Teebuccs - How long were you out there? Did they reduce the price since it was just two of you?

We scheduled a 1/2 day trip (4 hours) but only stayed out about 3 since it was so choppy and we had caught a good amount already. I am sure the captain would have stayed out the full time since he was keeping or selling anything we caught...haha.

Unfortunately they do not reduce the price when you charter regardless of group size. It would have been cheaper for us if we had others going with us but in this case we were glad it was just us so we weren't falling all over other folks.

• 2 weeks later...

TeeBucs, How much did they charge for the half day? We're also going to Belize and Roatan, and can't find anything on either reef fishing or deep sea. My son and I love to fish and were hoping to get some in on our cruise, but very little info available on the boards, as far as I can see.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the Carnival Valor the week of July 8th, and are looking to share a deep sea fishing charter with someone on the cruise. We have been in contact with Otto from Costa Maya Tours, about going out with him. Has anyone used this company for deep sea fishing?

• 2 weeks later...
We will be on the Carnival Valor the week of July 8th, and are looking to share a deep sea fishing charter with someone on the cruise. We have been in contact with Otto from Costa Maya Tours, about going out with him. Has anyone used this company for deep sea fishing?

My husband & I will be on that same trip & were kinda thinkin' the same thing. He has always wanted to go but it would be SUPER nice if we had some body to split the cost with....did you ever find some one?

We booked with Otto at *****.com. Check it out. I have read really good things about him and the tour company, and he has been extremely helpful, and very fast to respond. Let's hook up during the cruise, and talk. Only 7 days to go!!!

I was thinking about booking with Mayahual Tours because Diego ("Scot") gave me an awsome price for 3 hrs (not as awsome as it would be if we were sharing the charter) on Tauro but haven't comitted to anything yet cuz not only has a couple reviews scared me (I hear his company enjoys your money regardless of whether or not you dock) but I was also researching it in Isla Roatan. Just curious....which boat did ya get & who are you refering to when you say "we"?

I see that you're going to be on the Valor on the 8th..

Why don't you join our roll call..the link is in my signature.

I booked with Otto at *****.com. I had read alot of different threads about him, and he got good reviews. It is a small deposit, you do not pay the total until you arrive at the dock. We are going out on the Macondo, comprable to the Tauro. However, the "we" in my posts is refering to my husband and I, however, it will just be him on the fishing boat. I plan to eat nachos and drink lots of Margaritas in Mahahual. Oh yea, and get a massage too!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We booked with Otto on the Hannibal, Costa Maya Tours dot com, via the Tequila Beach for two hours, but when we got there, sustained winds 25+, white caps as far out with seas 10-12 ft. We did the on line registration and deposit of $60. The boat captain said they fish in that all the time, but Folks, I like to fish as much as anyone, but 10-12' is beyond my limit. I've been there done that, and I know my wife would have been miserable. My wife could care less about fishing, but was willing to go. They suggested we wait to see if it would calm down, because they were not going to give me back my deposit, and they also offered to transfer my money towards a snorkel trip instead. We agreed to snorkel. In hind sight, the seas did calm down later in the day, and we could have gone out, but massages, shopping, snorkling and open bar had taken its toll, plus we had to get back to the ship.

So my suggestion to my fellow fishermen is not to pre book a fishing trip or fishing excursion, instead, get there, look at the conditions, and then decide to fish. I found there are plenty of guides with all the tackle ready to take you for an hour or two at EVERY port. Afterall, these are fishing villages with very little industry besides tourism. I'm sure others will point out the pitfalls of this suggestion, but this is what I would recommend to my friends, and what I will do next time.

PS. I did get to fish in Rhootan. Spur of the moment trip, caught three tuna within an hour, 100- 200 yards off the beach in 160' of water.... which I gave to the guide, who gave it to our taxi driver. It was a win, win, win scenario ($100/hr).

We just returned from the Legend and booked the Hannibal with Otto from ***** for 3 hours. It turned out to be our best excursion on the trip. It was a boys fishing trip, my dad, my two brothers, BIL & a friend we met on the boat. The capt Victor and the mate Daniel did a great job making sure we were comfortable and had a good time. They asked when we got on the boat what we wanted to catch & we said Mahi-Mahi. As we went out we had maybe 3 foot swells. The boat did rock, but no more than any other off shore fishing trip I had been on. We had just put two lines in the water when the first one hit. Unfortunately for us, all we seemed to catch that day was Barracuda. It was a fun fish to pull in, but we were looking forward to catching something to eat. You could tell the captain felt bad and actually kept us out there 4.5 hours (no additional charge) in search of some Mahi. When we returned to the dock, at first he refused the tip, but we insisted for all their efforts. We actually ending up eating one of the Barracuda, which I didn't think you could do, but with all the people on shore trying to buy our fish, I guess you can. The Tequila Beach Club cooked it up. It was really good, we found a couple small bones, but they had some outstanding homemade hot sauce for it. My brother, who got sea sick on every boat he has been on (at home), had no problem during the day. In fact, he trying to get us all together to do another fishing trip soon. We found the Tequila Beach Club to be nice, and the people around us seemed to be enjoying themselves. The waiters were as good as anywhere, they weren't lightening fast, but seemed to meet our needs in a reasonable amount of time considering the place was busy. We did eat in the main area in the shade, just as you come in.

beeracuda - I don't doubt your story, but I have trouble believing they were getting waves 10 to 12 feet. With the shallow reef there, that would have been some of the best surfing on the East Coast. Also, I would think the dock where boat docked would have been under water. I believe it could have been rougher than the day we were there, but I think 10 to 12 feet is a little much.

Pugs, glad to hear you had a great trip. Perhaps my terminolgy is flawed or you did not read my entire post. What I meant to say was the differential in the maximum and minimum wave height was 10 to 12 feet, based on the depth markings on the ship when we disembarked, and it did calm down around noon. The dock at TB, which is behind the reef, was not underwater, and I stand by my statement. My wife would have been chumming.

We had a great time at TB, the service was outstanding, and we would go again.

• 3 years later...

Pugsy&Porter, (or anyone else who can answer)

Can you tell me how to get in touch with Victor? I would like to book him and tried to contact him through Mayan Beach Garden as someone else recommended but they said they cannot book him. He comes highly recommended by some other people, too. We want to fish in the mangroves, not deep sea fish and I understand he is good with this, too.

Thanks!

Archived