Belize

Cwolf

Will be on the Pearl for a Belize stop in a few weeks. Planning on an inland excursion. A question for those who have been to Belize on NCL or I guess on any other cruise line. When we are returned to the coast after our excursion, is there a town nearby where we can explore for a few hours before returning to the ship? Or is there just nowhere else to go but back to the ship? I know that will be no problem in Cozumel, as that can be a fun town to wander around in. Just wondering if anyone knows about the situation in Belize.

And also, any suggestions on the best inland inexcursion in Belize that is the most physically active?

Thanks for your help.

For Belize, the ship anchors off the coast and you are tendered into Belize City. The dock area is quite nice and there are plenty of shops and restaurants to explore. Belize City itself, is not so nice and I've yet to read a review where someone has gone for a stroll downtown. From what little I've seen of it, I would not attempt it.

If you're going on an excursion to one of the Mayan Ruins, you will not have much time upon your return to explore the shops. I've been there twice, both times went on ship-sponsored excursion, and both times have made it back in time to get on line for the last tender back to the ship.

People seem to really enjoy the cave tubing and the Lamanai Ruins.

Yes, the tourist villiage area where the ship tenders are have shops, restaurants etc. Roaming around Belize outside of that isn't considered very safe.

I've been to Caye Caulker and snorkeling shark ray alley. For excursion tips, try the 'Port of Call' boards, always great suggestions there for whatever activity you're interested in.

I wandered across the swing bridge to the old part of town and saw the supreme court building, the old Presbyterian church, the city park and some shops. Belize City is the old capital of British Honduras so it does have some colonial buildings for those interested in such things.

We did the Jungle Horseback Riding a few years ago, and it was extremely physical (we were put with the “advanced” group). This was not the typical walk in a line along the trail on a half-dead horse tour, but rather a challenging ride through uneven terrain where you're ducking around trees and riding down into and through the river where the water is up to your waist. We actually took the horses up to full-out runs during the open stretches of land. The ride was followed by lunch and then a leisurely river tour. Assuming they haven't tamed things down, this was an awesome – and challenging - excursion!

We're actually on your sailing in a few weeks, but are thinking of cave tubing this time around. It doesn't seem to be quite as adventurous, but is apparently the thing to do in Belize!

Karolee - could you tell me if this was a ship excursion or did you do this on your own. If on your own, please advise name of company you dealt with. I know DH loves to ride, but hates to do the single line thing. This excursion sounds right up his alley:)

We will be on Princess late March.

Thanks in Advance

Archived