Day Trip From Barcelona

We will be spending 3 days in Barcelona, post cruise and are interested in doing a day trip from Barcelona to Girona and perhaps other parts of the Costa Brava, but are not interested in a big bus tour. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for a reasonable alternative? We are only 2 people and the quotes that I am getting from private guides are astronomical, much higher than in any other port.

You can explore parts of the Costa Brava by train.

An easier destination would be to go south to Sitges (trains every half hour or so) and spend the day in Sitges which is a fantastic day trip from Barcelona. If you're not into trains or public transportation, you could even splurge on a taxi to Sitges, it's not really a high price since Sitges is quite close.

You can also take the train to Salou (Tarragona) and spend the day in the Port Aventura Theme Park if you like that sort of thing.

If you have your heart set on the Costa Brava, the train will not be very convenient for exploring several towns, unless you just focus on Gerona, Lloret del Mar, S'Agaró, etc.

Please let me know if I can help you in any other way since my wife and I live in Barcelona.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

We will be spending 3 days in Barcelona, post cruise and are interested in doing a day trip from Barcelona to Girona and perhaps other parts of the Costa Brava, but are not interested in a big bus tour. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for a reasonable alternative? We are only 2 people and the quotes that I am getting from private guides are astronomical, much higher than in any other port.

You can take the train to Girona from Barcelona and walk around the walled city. You can also take the train past Girona to Figueres(I may have mispelled the name) and visit the Dali museum. Even or both can be done in one day cheaply.

Hi itsjb1; might be worth a look at Rabbie's (rabbies dot com). They've been running tours in Scotland for a while and now from Barcelona as well. We did a 5-day in Scotland with them last year and considering a BCN day trip with them before our Oct Med cruise. Their web site shows Girona trip for 57 euro/pp.

Though it sounds like you've made a great contact in CruisinGerman; hope you'll be around CG, I may have a few questions too if you don't mind...

Thank you for all of your replies. I will check our Rabbie's. What was your experience like in Scotland? How many people were on the tour?

The 2 cities that we are interested in are Girona and Besalu. The latter does not seem to be readily accessible by public transit.That is why we are looking into a private tour.

Thank you for all of your replies. I will check our Rabbie's. What was your experience like in Scotland? How many people were on the tour?

The 2 cities that we are interested in are Girona and Besalu. The latter does not seem to be readily accessible by public transit.That is why we are looking into a private tour.

We went on a great all day group tour(8 people max but we were the only ones) to Girona,Besalu and the Dali museum,including a wonderful Catalonia lunch last May. The tour company is Spanish Trails at reservations@spanish-trails.com. it is owned by a young American couple and we are using them again in early May. Hope this helps.

Ben

I will check our Rabbie's. What was your experience like in Scotland? How many people were on the tour?

It was very positive. There were 16 people on the tour; I had hoped it would be fewer but it worked out very well. Was easy to engage the other guests or traipse off on our own. But Rabbie's did very well all around; their staff were helpful and responsive to inquiries, and our driver/guide was a treat - informative, helpful, and entertaining.

But Scotland was a multi-day tour; I suppose on the day-trips it's easier for it to turn into cattle-call type of thing. I haven't contacted them yet regarding their BCN offerings, but if I felt the itinerary was what I wanted, I'd feel pretty comfortable that they would provide a good day out...

go to Girona and Dali Museum in July.

There website is spanish-trails.com. I didn't see the Girona and Dali Museum tour on the site but we went there last year. They can also arrange for rooms to stay overnight in Girona. I'm sure they can arrange to take you to there and be sure to have them take you to lunch near Girona. It was the best meal we had in Spain.

Ben

Ben

Thank you for the information. I contacted Spanish Trails and have booked a tour. They were very responsive and easy to deal with. We are going to do the tour that we want at a reasonable price.

Just wanted to Say hubby and I used Spanish Trails last year for a wine tasting tour outside Barcelona (Penedes region).

It was a highlight of our trip. Trevor was our guide, we had so much fun!

They are very easy to deal with and always answered questions promptly.

Archived