Re, Breakins, Oahu, Convertibles

roomgypsy

Hi All. Thanks to everyone who helped me with my car rental. We chose Thrifty as it was the best price for us and also, convenience. As you mentioned in a different thread Spleen, it would be better for me to get the car at airport. So have received confirmation from Thrifty's that they will pick us up and shuttle to get car. Which is super.

One thing, I have seen in a few posts people mentioning breakins re convertibles. Is this common thing? When we travel around island for the couple extra days, we will leave nothing of value in car, probably just a cooler with some snacks and drinks. It just got me a bit concerned when I read this a few times.

Thanking you in advance, ~Phyllis~

It really doesn't matter whether you have a convertible or other. If someone wants to break into your car, any valuables are gone. Happened to me in a very public area a few years ago. The key is to make sure you don't leave anything in the vehicle that might signal to a thief that it's valuable. Anything that looks valuable is an invitation. A rock through a side window, unlock the doors, grab the stuff, and gone in less than 30 seconds. Just because you're in Hawaii doesn't mean you're immune. Even if somebody saw it happen, by the time they call the police, it's too late. Your idea is right. Don't leave anything in your vehicle that's valuable. Or important to you.

Archived