Queens Grille or Princess Grille - QM2

FLCruiserGuy

Has anyone every had the experience of having been in both at some point on various sailings? I have done 4 sailings on the QM2 - all Q5, but have heard very positive points about the Princess Grille dining and accomodations.

I would appreciate any comparisons that anyone has experienced first-hand or heard. I know one of the biggest differences is not having a butler for the P-category but, to be honest, I really do not use the butler much at all.

Thank you kindly in advance!!!

I have, like you, been only on Queens Grill, so I'd like to read other people's views as well. Still, I can't resist the temptation to throw in my 2 cents.

QG offers 3 things (larger cabins, an exclusive deck w/jacuzzi, and a butler). The PG and QG menus are, in my experience, identical. I did get a couple of favors done for me in the QG restaurant, but nothing I wouldn't expect from the PG as well. As for the service, it's hardly as if at the QG you had several waiters literally expecting you to lift a finger (or eyebrow) like they would at Les Ambassadeurs in Paris or the Louis XV in Monte Carlo. Service is good, but not sublime. That's probably true as well, I would expect, for the Princess Grill.

Now, about the other perks:

Frankly, the exclusive deck is unnecessary. The jacuzzis elsewhere are perfectly fine (being more of an indoor person myself, I ended up using the ones in the Pavilion/covered pool or the fantastic spa therapy pool, instead of the jacuzzi in the QG deck). So unless you are a gorgeous celebrity and can't stand people gawking at you while you sunbathe, you'll do fine without the exclusive deck.

If, as you said, you don't care for the butler, then all that's left is the larger cabins. Q5 vs P1 isn't much of a difference (I've peeked into both). Things do start getting more palatial at Q4, but if you wanted to pay Q4 prices you wouldn't be considering Princess Grill, now would you? So my relatively uninformed guess is that you'll probably find P1 to be good enough.

Back in 2004 we booked a PG cabin and were upgraded to QG. In 2006 we booked a PG and weren't changed. The QG cabin is 50% wider than the PG, but both are the same length. The QG walk-in closet is larger than the PG walk-in closet. QG had a separate dressing table, which my wife loved, that PG lacked. QG has a full size tub w/jacuzzi, PG has a 3/4 size tub wo/jacuzzi. In QG the butler brought us canapes every evening. Not having a butler at home, we had no idea what else to ask of him. So we didn't mind not having a butler last year in PG (actually, our families haven't minded doing without servants since 1929).

Back in 2004 the Queens Grill Lounge and the Concierge Lounge were for QG only; in 2006 both were available to PG, and we much enjoyed the Queens Grill Lounge for tea and for cocktails. Didn't notice any difference in the food, although the QG staff may be more eager to accept off-menu requests. In 2006 the QG reserved deck area had been moved to Deck 11,

and half of it was just below the Deck 12 kennels, where the dogs are exercised. Didn't happen on our crossings, but a lady who took her two dogs to England later that summer on the QM2 swears that one of her dogs "refreshed" the sunbathers on Deck 11 in a way that they were not expecting.

No doubt that we shall book PG next time. We'll accept a QG upgrade, but not for a "handicap accessible" QG because they have no closets. Hope this helps,

Paul

Has anyone every had the experience of having been in both at some point on various sailings? I have done 4 sailings on the QM2 - all Q5, but have heard very positive points about the Princess Grille dining and accomodations.

I would appreciate any comparisons that anyone has experienced first-hand or heard. I know one of the biggest differences is not having a butler for the P-category but, to be honest, I really do not use the butler much at all.

Thank you kindly in advance!!!

WE HAVE SAILED IN BOTH THE PG AND THE QG BOTH EXCELLENT CHOICES FOR THIER OWN REASONS BUT UNLESS I GOT A PRICE ADVANTAGE IN THE Q GRILL I WOULD BOOK THE P GRILL THE NEXT TIME A TRULY GREAT EXPERIENCE

Archived