Seven mile beach question

mom and wife

We are booked with Moby Dick String Rays. They said that when we are driving back they can take us back to the ship or drop us off at seven mile beach. Then we would have to get a taxi back to the ship. Do not know how much that would be or if it is worth it.

So my two questions are

Do you know much a taxi will be 4 people 2 adults and two kids?

And is it worth it?

We have two kids ages 5 and 7 years old.

What do you guys think and Ideas!!!!

We were at the Marriott on Jan. 19 for a few hours of beach time. The cost for taxi to downtown (port)for two people was $9 U.S. The Marriott did not charge, as I was visiting a guest at the hotel. You can be drop off at the Royal Palms, which I believe do not charge for use of beach chairs or facilities.

Did you think that the seven mile beach was nice?

Clean

not alot of people

sand

safe for kids not big drop off

any info. would be great

$20.00 may not be bad but if not that great can skip for $20.00 or more sence there is four of us.

Because in Cozumel we are going to Paradise beach and then right before the seven mile beach we would be swimming with the sting rays and then snorkling with Moby dick.

Plus I do not know if it will wear my kids out:rolleyes:

7MB is beautiful. Unfortunately, with up to as many as 9 or 10 ships per day, it does tend to get crowded, but it's still worth visiting.

You could have them drop you at Royal Palms (as mentioned). They offer food, water toy rental, chairs (I think you may have to pay a rental fee, but I could be wrong), and restrooms. We stay at a condo on 7MB, and there is a gentle slope to the water, but there was a bit of a drop off. Not so much that it should be a problem for your children.

I suppose it depends on how much time you have, after doing the stingray tour. We always enjoy spending time on 7MB. In fact, we love Grand Cayman so much that we'd never visit on a cruise ship, only for a land vacation. :)

I thought the cabs charged per person, not per cab, but I could be wrong. The cabs we saw, weren't the regular yellow cabs that you're probably used to seeing, but rather van-type bus cabs (they were white), so your family would fit comfortably inside one.

Here's the Royal Palms website....

http://www.reefgrill.com/pages/cruiseinformation.html

We spent some time at Royal Palms last week. Four ships in port, but by noon it was getting crowded. Taxi (van) driver charged $4 a person ($5 to go to Sea Grapes). Free access and beach chairs were $5 each ($10 at Sea Grapes). We got there early and the kids (7 & 9) had a great time - nice clean beach, gentle waves just big enough for them to have fun in without having to stand over them. Waverunners and other stuff available. Restrooms were clean. Had a nice grilled Mahi sandwich for lunch under the umbrella. Compared to taking the beach break excursion, it was a no brainer. A nice way to spend the day if you're thinking beach.

If everything goes well we will go to a beach at the 2nd stop Cozumel. It sounds like 7mb is about the same. If not that can be a great back up plan. And since we will be in the water for 2 hours with the sting rays and then snorkling. We will probly go find shopping (hope by ship) and we did want to send family post cards from Hell but seems far away. Two of us gets car sick easy. What do you think of Hell post office?

That is what I was wondering if the taxi (van) is per person also!

So If we go some where else it would have to be the best thing with $20.00 each way taxi and then the thing we are doing.

What do you like to buy in Grand Cayman? This is most llikely the place we will have time shopping. :rolleyes:

I went back and looked at the page you added of Royal Palms and it looks nice. and it is free if busy we would just not stay. Not a big deal.

Is Royal Palms close to the sting ray area?

I still want to shop not lots of time you are right.

My hubby and I were talking and if we love one of the stops we may go back there. It may be $$$ with air we are not sure. Condo on 7 mb sounds nice. Is it alot? WE are looking at Sandles Beaches. For the next trip.

I am sorry but I do not know what SEA GRAPES are?

Sea Grape Beach is also on the 7MB area. It's farther away from the port area than Royal Palms, but both offer the same basic things...food, chairs, restrooms, and water toy rentals. And it's easy to grab a cab from both of these places...when you want to get back to the port area.

I went back and looked at the page you added of Royal Palms and it looks nice. and it is free if busy we would just not stay. Not a big deal.

Is Royal Palms close to the sting ray area?

I still want to shop not lots of time you are right.

My hubby and I were talking and if we love one of the stops we may go back there. It may be $$$ with air we are not sure. Condo on 7 mb sounds nice. Is it alot? WE are looking at Sandles Beaches. For the next trip.

All the beach area along 7MB is free. You can plop your towel down anywhere, and enjoy the water.

I don't think there is a Sandals on Grand Cayman. We stay at the Regal Beach Club. The condos are owned, and the owners usually tell the management six months out, what days they will be there...and usually they rent out the rest of the time. We liked the location...it's right next to the Marriott and we ended up using Red Sail, who is located in the Marriott, to rent waverunners. Here's Regal Beach Club's website.

http://www.regalbeach.com/home.html

Everything in Cayman was expensive, at least that's my opinion. I don't think we had a meal (except breakfast) that was under $200, but we had our three children with us. Our air was $800 each, but we usually go in the winter. I am hoping the next time we go, we can find something cheaper. Even if we have to fly into FLL and change to a different airline...there has to be something out there that is cheaper. The nice thing about a condo is you can eat some meals in your room. We ate out too much the first time we were there for a week...the last time, we cut back eating out a little.

The stingrays are out in the North Sound, which is on the oposite side of the island as the port area, and 7MB. But it is only a short drive. I think it took about 10 minutes for us to drive from 7MB to the dock area (when we were there). For people on a cruise, they either will meet you at the port, or for us, we used Captain Marvin's and we just walked to their shop. It was a short 5-minute walk.

If you look at a map of Grand Cayman, and see the part that looks like a hammer, stingray city is down from what looks like the back of the hammer (the claw part). The 7-Mile Beach area is down from what looks like the front of the hammer.

But the island is very small, and everything most cruise ship passengers do is fairly close to one another.

I do think there are two (maybe three) all-inclusives on the island. I just don't know the names of them, or where they are located. We loved staying on the 7MB stretch...lots to do and lots of restaurants. And it's a safe island. You can rent a car and explore the entire island...and we wanted to get out and about.

Archived