Carnival Freedom - 3/26/07

Triage Girl

I'm brand new to cruise critic and also a first time cruiser. My 17 y.o. son and I will be heading off to the Mediterranean on the Carnival Freedom. I have a million questions, but let's start with a couple of basics. Anyone with cruise experience, please help us out...

1. Should we bring out lap-top? The Freedom is supposedly wi-fi throughout the ship. I'm guessing this would be the best way to keep in touch with family back in the States.

2. Shore excursions - lots I've read say they are expensive and that you can do better $ wise on your own. This is our first cruise and first trip overseas. I'm inclined to book thru Carnival because of convenience and inexperience. Any advice for me?

3. Do you recommend taking lots of Euos with us, or getting Euros at the airport, or from ATM machines? I've read a lot about ATMs cloning your ATM card and having lots of problems. Experience??

That's enough for now - many thanks to anyone who can offer us some advice. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We will be taking the same cruise ship you and your son will be on, and it looks like the same itinerary.

We are considering bringing our laptop so that we can 1)store pictures from our digital camera, and 2)email back home. You can get a internet card for around $100 for X amount of minutes (need to find the details). Otherwise, there is an internet cafe you can pay for minutes used.

We have booked 2 of our excursions already. It appears you have the same itinerary we have in April - we signed up for Instanbul Highlights w/lunch for $79 per person - just to give you idea. If you sign in to Carnival, once yoru booked, and click on 'add an excursion' it will show you the prices.

We haven't cruised in 10 years, our friends never have, and we felt more secure buying through Carnival, maybe in time, after more cruising we'll branch out and do some on-our-own tours.

You will need euros for Rome and Greece, but Turkish Lira for Turkey - not sure how much is needed, hopefully some european cruisers will have more info.

Hope you and your son have a great cruise!! :)

p.s. i suggest you find the roll-calls on this board - where you can 'meet up' online with others on your cruise, it's a great way to share ideas as well

Thanks Mary, for replying to my post. I sure do have a lot to learn. Hopefully some more helpful people will help guide me. I will check out the roll-call, as I am interested in finding others on the same cruise.

Thanks again!

Susan

I'm brand new to cruise critic and also a first time cruiser. My 17 y.o. son and I will be heading off to the Mediterranean on the Carnival Freedom. I have a million questions, but let's start with a couple of basics. Anyone with cruise experience, please help us out...

1. Should we bring out lap-top? The Freedom is supposedly wi-fi throughout the ship. I'm guessing this would be the best way to keep in touch with family back in the States.

2. Shore excursions - lots I've read say they are expensive and that you can do better $ wise on your own. This is our first cruise and first trip overseas. I'm inclined to book thru Carnival because of convenience and inexperience. Any advice for me?

3. Do you recommend taking lots of Euos with us, or getting Euros at the airport, or from ATM machines? I've read a lot about ATMs cloning your ATM card and having lots of problems. Experience??

Hello.

1. As for the laptop: I would check the WiFi prices carefully. Usually I believe there may be little or no price difference from using the on-board computers. I found that, although I am somewhat of an internet/email addict at home, I spend little time using the net onboard. Part of that is the price, some is the slow and inconsistant connection speed, but mostly there is so much else to do on a cruise. Ask yourself if the amount of time you plan to spend online is worth packing your own computer.

2. We usually book shore excusions through the cruiseline. It's a personal choice to have the added "insurance" that, if something delays the cruise-ship arranged tour, the ship (generally) won't leave without you. Keep in mind that many of the Cities you'll want to visit on this cruise are not actually near the port (Livorno is a couple of hours from Florence, Civitavecchia for Rome, etc.) I've also been happy with independant tours recomended here on cruise critic (check the boards for specific ports of call) but usually for smaller ports of call. We were on a very similar itinerary on the Grand Princess two years ago and strill plan to book most excursions through Carnival.... only this time we won't try to cram in too much like last time. :D

3. We found that our credit cards were welcomed just about everywhere, but many merchants offered discounts for cash. Most credit cards now charge 3% for foreign currency exchange on all transactions (however there are a few exceptions (what's in your wallet?)). You will especially want to have enough euros for incidentals such a snacks, tips, transportation, etc. Check about "buyback" options with some currency exchanges. That way, if you buy too many euros you won't pay an additional commision. I used ATM's (but only with bank ATMs) a few times with no problems, however expect your bank to add a surcharge. The Turkish merchants were happy to deal in dollars, but were very high pressure so we avoided making eye contact with them after a while.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Hello.

1. As for the laptop: I would check the WiFi prices carefully. Usually I believe there may be little or no price difference from using the on-board computers. I found that, although I am somewhat of an internet/email addict at home, I spend little time using the net onboard. Part of that is the price, some is the slow and inconsistant connection speed, but mostly there is so much else to do on a cruise. Ask yourself if the amount of time you plan to spend online is worth packing your own computer.

2. We usually book shore excusions through the cruiseline. It's a personal choice to have the added "insurance" that, if something delays the cruise-ship arranged tour, the ship (generally) won't leave without you. Keep in mind that many of the Cities you'll want to visit on this cruise are not actually near the port (Livorno is a couple of hours from Florence, Civitavecchia for Rome, etc.) I've also been happy with independant tours recomended here on cruise critic (check the boards for specific ports of call) but usually for smaller ports of call. We were on a very similar itinerary on the Grand Princess two years ago and strill plan to book most excursions through Carnival.... only this time we won't try to cram in too much like last time. :D

3. We found that our credit cards were welcomed just about everywhere, but many merchants offered discounts for cash. Most credit cards now charge 3% for foreign currency exchange on all transactions (however there are a few exceptions (what's in your wallet?)). You will especially want to have enough euros for incidentals such a snacks, tips, transportation, etc. Check about "buyback" options with some currency exchanges. That way, if you buy too many euros you won't pay an additional commision. I used ATM's (but only with bank ATMs) a few times with no problems, however expect your bank to add a surcharge. The Turkish merchants were happy to deal in dollars, but were very high pressure so we avoided making eye contact with them after a while.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Archived