Tell Me About Kona Please

marcyjane

Going to Hawaii in May and booked this week-end the shore excurision on NCL website all stops but Kona.

Now keep in mind were old, but not 65 yet. Not coffee drinkers, scuba, snorkel, hiking or diving people. Do like walking on the beach and sitting and relaxing.

It seems the best I can tell that Kona is a tender port. Is the town/village close enough for walking distance to see some sites and shops.

Thanks,

Marcy

You land right in the middle of town. There may be a Hilo Hattie's free bus, but I seem to recall it's only a few blocks up the hill. If you're there on a Sunday, there are services in a Congregational Church to the right with songs in Hawaiian. THe Hulihee Palace is right across the street and we found it quite interesting.There's nice shopping further to the south in an older hotel that's been converted, and just beyond that, on the other side of the road, there should be a flea market where you can buy all sorts of things - we like to get flowers for the ship if it's early in the cruise. Just watch the traffic - it slows for no pedestrian! You might want to check out books in your local library for better information than I have. Nancy

Kona is a charming little walking town. The tender will drop you off right in the thick of it all. As the previous poster said...there are some interesting historic buildings just steps from the pier. The town is filled with little interesting shops. There are also tons of restaurants and bars....many of them with beautiful views of the bay. On our last cruise we met a couple who really did not want to "do" anything in Kona. We convinced them to take the tender and stroll down to the Kona Inn and have a drink. It is right on the water and sitting at the bar gives you a beautiful view of the ship anchored out in the bay. They must have thanked us 100 times for this advice!! We live on this island and love stopping in there for a drink each time we visit the Kona side of the island. Have fun and enjoy Kona!!

Thanks so much for the info, kapoho2

That sounds good and I know that we will enjoy just walking around town and shopping.

So excited and can't wait til May. This will be my first visit to Hawaii.

Your so lucky to live there all the time. I live right in the heart of Middle Tennessee, between Nashville, Knoxville & Chattanooga. In a small town McMinnville (home town to Dottie West a country music singer)

Thanks,

Marcy:)

Quote:

Now keep in mind were old, but not 65 yet. Not coffee drinkers, scuba, snorkel, hiking or diving people. Do like walking on the beach and sitting and relaxing.

MJ I am 66 & I don't drink coffee but I do the other things. Only as old as you think. :)

That said, in Kona our plan is: Take Alii shuttle to Kahalu'u beach park. Shop, taste Kona coffee.

Kona is the only port we aren't renting a car - taking a break from driving.

"Now keep in mind were old, but not 65 yet"

Marcy: March will be my first trip to Hawaii also, I'm traveling with 3 other female friends, and all of us are card carrying members of AARP. We certainly don't consider ourselves OLD.:D Living in East Tennessee there are so many thing to do to kep active, (hiking, horse back riding, tubing in Townsend) that old age is still years down the road!

We are planning to rent a car in Kona and maybe drive up to the Weipio Valley and take a wagon ride to see the Valley. They even offer a discount for those over the age of 60.;)

http://www.waipiovalleywagontours.com

Of course, it's a 2 hour drive each way, but should see some beautiful scenery along the way.

Just got back from my first trip to Hawaii, and since Kona was our last stop of an otherwise active cruise, we decided to take it easy in Kona. It is a beautiful little spot (sunny and warm which helped). There is a really small beach just to the left of the tender dock, but nice to sit and relax on. We checked out the lovely little shops around the dock and down the road aways to the right of the dock (right as you approach the dock). We also took the free shuttle to Hilo Hatties. It isn't far, but to walk, it a pretty steep uphill all the way, so better to take the shuttle. When we got back we took the free shuttle to WalMart, which has some nice Hawaiian shirts and dresses, also check out the fresh leis in the refrigerated section to the right as you go in and just behind the cash. We had lunch at the Denny's beside WalMart, not very original or Hawaiian, but it has a fabulous view of the ocean and your cruise ship!

Like you, I'm certainly not old (50), but like to wander and poke through shops. Have fun!

Bonnie

Hi Marcy,

I read an article about Kahalu'u Beach that said it was a short taxi ride (6 miles) south of town and had a black sand beach that we want to see. We will be there next month (IP 2/10) and will let you know how it is. (We'll let you know about the Ed Kos tour in the Hummer on Oahu, too) Last time in Kona we did a snorkel tour in the am, then wandered around the shops, and got to watch a hula lesson at the palace that is not far from the tender dock. Kona Coffee makes good souveniers!

Hubby and I went last November and did the Kona by Land and Sea trip which was great. Got the tender to Kona then went on a boat trip down the coast and had lunch on the boat. Places of interest were pointed out and we also saw some spinner dolphins which was great, then boarded a coach for a tour of that side of the island, just briefly stopped at a coffee shop but only about 10mins. we didn't drink coffee but views were spectacular, then went to a religious burial site and saw some green turtles, wonderful. This is a day trip and well worth the money.

Enjoy

Lozza:D

"Now keep in mind were old, but not 65 yet"

Marcy: March will be my first trip to Hawaii also, I'm traveling with 3 other female friends, and all of us are card carrying members of AARP. We certainly don't consider ourselves OLD.:D Living in East Tennessee there are so many thing to do to kep active, (hiking, horse back riding, tubing in Townsend) that old age is still years down the road!

We are planning to rent a car in Kona and maybe drive up to the Weipio Valley and take a wagon ride to see the Valley. They even offer a discount for those over the age of 60.;)

http://www.waipiovalleywagontours.com

Of course, it's a 2 hour drive each way, but should see some beautiful scenery along the way.

You will love the Waipio Valley, and although it's a long drive, you get to go through part of the Parker Ranch to get there. The valley is spectacular. We plan to go down into it this next visit too. Enjoy!

You will love the Waipio Valley, and although it's a long drive, you get to go through part of the Parker Ranch to get there. The valley is spectacular. We plan to go down into it this next visit too. Enjoy!
I was going to recommend the same thing. It is a pretty drive to Waipo, and the valley is unbelievable.

Can anyone tell me where the Pride of America tenders drop you off at in Kona? We are considering doing a snorkel trip with Fair Wind or Sea Quest which both leave out of Keauhou Bay, or Captain Zodiac out of Honokohau Harbor. Trying to find out how far away they are and what transportation options and costs are to get there. Worst case, we'll do NCL's Captain Zodiac excursion.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

On our recent POH cruise, we booked the NCL Atlantis Submarine. We found it very boring and not worth the $97 NCL charges. The variety of fish was minimal and the only other things to look at 100 feet down is boring, after boring, coral. It all looked the same after 5 minutes. Our ride was filled to capacity and it was very uncomfortable to look out the porthole.

It was a very sunny, hot day. We should have taken some kind of beach shuttle and it would have been a better choice.

I would not recommend the small beach near the pier where you land after tendering. It is very small, and not attractive or inviting. Maybe some one who snorkels would disagree.

We did spend some time walking the main street. And to try and do something else, we took the free shuttle to Hilo Hatties and had a good time shopping. I must warn you that prices are cheaper in K Mart (and there is a free shuttle for that too). I bought a $20 CD of the famous Hawaiian singer I Z and when we went to K Mart in Kauai it was $14.

Have a great trip. I plan on repeating this trip some day.

Archived