How can I combine PADI scuba certification with other shore excursions???

gazpacho71

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but have had no luck with the search.

I'm interested in booking the Westen Caribbean cruise with Royal Caribbean with ports of call Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Or... the Eastern Caribbean cruise (also Royal Caribbean) with ports of call San Juan, St Maarten, St, Thomas, Nassau. Both of these cruises are on the Explorer of the Seas ship and I'm looking to set sail in early-mid April 2007. I want to do the PADI scuba certification that is offered onboard but I need to know where the open water dives are carried out so I can plan other shore excursions.

I called Royal Caribbean customer service but they say that they cannot confirm where the dives are done. Therefore I cannot book other shore excursions with any certainty.

According to the info I found on their website, 2 open water dives are needed to complete the certification. The rest of the material is done onboard and in the pool. But where are the dives done? Has anyone gone through the certification process onboard this/these ship/cruises? Is it even worth it to get certified on either of these cruises? Or would I be missing out on a whole lot more by not booking other shore excursions?

You might want to consider doing your class and pool work before you go and then getting recommendations from your Dive Shop as to where to do your open water dives and booking independantly of the cruise line. BTW - its 2 days of open water dives and 2 dives/day so you've just dedicated 2 ports of call to your certification dives. Doing your class work prior to your cruise would at least allow you more latitude in picking your ports for diving.

Gazpacho71,

In looking at both itineraries, by guess on the western caribbean, Grand Cayman and Cozumel are the most appropriate sites, especially if they are towards the end of your cruise. On the eastern route, you can pretty much rule San Juan out, probably St. Maarten, and more than likely would dive St. Thomas and Nassau. Remember, you first have sessions in the pool, and some classroom type work, so your open water dives would be towards the end of the cruise, probably the last two ports.;) Cal2632 has a great suggestion to do your class before your cruise, or at least the pool and classroom portion, and do a referral to PADI instructors at dive operations in the ports that you decide to visit. At least that way, you get to choose the days you dive ahead of time.

Anyway, you will love diving in the Caribbean, and its a perfect place to get your certification.;)

Gazpacho71,

In looking at both itineraries, my guess on the western caribbean, Grand Cayman and Cozumel are the most appropriate sites, especially if they are towards the end of your cruise. On the eastern route, you can pretty much rule San Juan out, probably St. Maarten, and more than likely would dive St. Thomas and Nassau. Remember, you first have sessions in the pool, and some classroom type work, so your open water dives would be towards the end of the cruise, probably the last two ports.;) Cal2632 has a great suggestion to do your class before your cruise, or at least the pool and classroom portion, and do a referral to PADI instructors at dive operations in the ports that you decide to visit. At least that way, you get to choose the days you dive ahead of time.

Anyway, you will love diving in the Caribbean, and its a perfect place to get your certification.;)

i agree - you should try to do the classwork before the cruise. you might even be able to do some of the diving locally and get certified before you go. you'll have more options with dive shops that accept referrals for the open water dives that way.

No one can assure which ports on your itinerary will include the dives. Except for San Juan, there is a possibility of tendering at two ports and a certainty at G.C. San Juan will not be a dive stop. There's great diving at P.R., but most sites are too distant from San Juan for a cruise ship trip.

Tendering is always at the mercy of Mother Nature, so neither will the cruise line nor a previous cruiser's experience be certain to replicate your experience.

My husband has signed up for the PADI diving certification class on our upcoming Freedom of the Seas cruise. Looking at the shore excursion brochure, you can choose where you want to do your certification dive. He chose Cozumel, as that is the final stop on our cruise of the W. Carib. I assume he will have some classes and pool instructions throughout the week.

I think we need to be clear that what is offered on the ships is not Open Water Certification. You get a Scuba diver certification which comes with restrictions. Even after completing your course, you can only dive under personal supervision of a dive master or higher and your depth limit is 40 ft. If you want your full certification, you must finish out the course through your local dive shop within 6 months or you will have to start over again. I would be willing to be you'd be stuck doing cruise excursions when you'd want to dive in future - I don't know if many reputable independant operators would take anyone who has less than open water certification.

Just a clarification and heads up.

Thanks for the clarification. I think he'd certainly prefer an open water certification. Any suggestions? Could he do some of the classes before we go then just do some dives to get certified? (Can you tell I plan to get a massage while he does this! LOL)

Sorry if I sound stupid,but...:D

Like many others, I would suggest getting the classroom and pool work done at home, then make arrangments to do the 4 required open water dives while you are on the cruise in CG and Coz. If you do a search on this thread you will find many suggestions for good dive operators in these two ports. Then just send some emails describing your situation and see you can take care of you.

When you finish the classroom/pool stuff, you will recieve a open water referal that needs to be shown to the divemaster doing your open water dives. Once this is complete, Your local dive shop will send in all the paperwork and you will recieve your certification. At least this is how I remember it...someone please correct me if this isn't correct.

As far as I know, the 4 open water dives do not need to be performed by a single divemaster. If they do you will likely be SOL as far as getting this done on a cruise.

Hope this helps and good luck

cal2632 is correct. Do the classroom and pool dives within 6 months of your cruise. When I got certified I completed all the classes and pool dives over one weekend.

Then prior to your cruise go on line and book the open water dives with a reputable (5 star if possible) dive operator that's on your itinerary. Tell him you want to do the open water dives to complete your certification and they'll gladly accommodate you.

You need to get "open water diver" certification before you can dive with a PADI center in the future. If I ever went with a dive operator and they didn't ask to see my certification card.....I wouldn't dive with them.

I know a person that went cave diving in Mexico before they were even certified open water, much less her cavern diver certification. Just remember there are dive operators and there are responsible dive operators.

Archived