Rare gift I can get in one of the following countries........

ucane

Will be on the sun feb25-mar4 visiting Mexico (Costa Maya, Cozumel) Belize (Belize City) Santo Tomas De Castilla (Guatemala) of the following which is an item I can buy there where I cant get anywhere else, or thats really expensive in the states but cheap down there...thanks again!

If you know someone that does a lot of baking, you can get “real” vanilla cheap in Mexico, not the imitation stuff you get in the states. There is a big difference in the taste of things with real vanilla in it and you only use about 1/3 to ½ the amount of the real stuff. We picked up some in Costa Maya in the port shopping area.

Black coral jewelry is another thing you can get cheap. Be sure and haggle over the price..

Can’t remember the name, but about two blocks north of the museum in Cozumel is a wonderful restaurant with live music. It’s on the main drag facing the water.

If you get a chance to get some pineapple with red chili peppers, try it. Spicy but yet cool and very tasty.

The wife bought a couple of nice necklasses, one for $20 and one with a cross for $30. You can find them cheaper but you need to know what you are getting. If you look closely, real black coral will have a brown ring around it. Buying from someone because a tour guide recommends it normally just means the tour guide gets a cut of the action so beware.

The wife bought a couple of nice necklasses, one for $20 and one with a cross for $30. You can find them cheaper but you need to know what you are getting. If you look closely, real black coral will have a brown ring around it. Buying from someone because a tour guide recommends it normally just means the tour guide gets a cut of the action so beware.

• 2 months later...
If you know someone that does a lot of baking, you can get “real” vanilla cheap in Mexico, not the imitation stuff you get in the states. There is a big difference in the taste of things with real vanilla in it and you only use about 1/3 to ½ the amount of the real stuff. We picked up some in Costa Maya in the port shopping area.

Can’t remember the name, but about two blocks north of the museum in Cozumel is a wonderful restaurant with live music. It’s on the main drag facing the water.

I have to agree, the vanilla is fantastic. My mom is a baker and she loved hers. I can't wait to get back to Cozumel and buy more.

I think the restaurant you're speaking of is Pancho's Backyard inside the Cinco Soles store. We had lunch there, and the food was delicious and we shopped for almost 2 hours in the store......we loved that place and we are NOT shoppers. (I don't think I've ever spent 2 hours in a store in my life!)

• 3 months later...

Coral is protected... when you buy it you are encouraging people to kill it.

It is like killing our Bald Eagle.. IT is what makes the Caribbean beautiful and if you enjoy their ecology then protect it.

I think the restaurant you're speaking of is Pancho's Backyard inside the Cinco Soles store. We had lunch there, and the food was delicious and we shopped for almost 2 hours in the store......we loved that place and we are NOT shoppers. (I don't think I've ever spent 2 hours in a store in my life!)

Hi - My husband and I became very ill after eating at Pancho's Backyard. I would avoid it.

Hi - My husband and I became very ill after eating at Pancho's Backyard. I would avoid it.

In Belize, I bought this hand-made treasure box. This man made and painted it out of mahogany. In order to open the box, you have to know how to manipulate it (move certain parts... etc...) It's been my favorite souvie so far. The best part is that we were able to get it for only $20!

In Belize, get some Cashew Wine. You won't find it anywhere else. It is made, by the way, from the cashew fruit - not the nut itself, and is very sweet.

I agree with JackieMD about black coral, please do not buy it. I also believe it is illegal to import it into the US and it will be confiscated and fined if you are caught.

First I agree with others - please don't buy anything made of black coral - to do so is to kill the reefs that make the Caribbean special.

Belize - as mentioned cashew wine is unusual. Another gift that was greatly appreciated by a stamp collector was stamps - Belize has some very pretty ones.

Guatemala - hand weaving and any hand needlework. We bought a small hand woven rug (VERY cheap and unique) and saw a tempting beautiful hand embroidered bed spread (not cheap but not expensive either).

Mexico - vanilla is a good choice but get it from a reputable store. Also look out for hand embroidered "huipils" (sp??) - the smock like dresses/blouses worn by Mayan women (also in Guatemala). In Mexico Vanilla will be a bargain (it's not quite as good as the stuff that you get in Grenada but it's still better than synthetic vanilla that we get in North America . A genuine hand-embroidered "huipil" won't be cheap (if it's the real thing) but it should be reasonable. Also silver jewelry is a good buy in most of Mexico - deal with a reputable jeweler and look for the hall-mark. Once again if it's too cheap, you are being ripped off.

Archived