Onboard Security?

Jaycue52

I just recently had a conversation with one of my fellow employees who experienced an incident onboard one of the cruises that she took (I won't mention the cruise line). Basically, during the "cattle call" that we sometimes experience in exiting the ship to attend a shore excursion, one of the passengers was obviously trying to be the first one off the ship. As my fellow employee and her family were waiting to exit, this individual was basically "bumping" her in an effort to get her to move out of the way. The lady offered to move out of the way to let the person by, and the person (who the lady felt was already heavily inebriated) starting shouting at her. The person followed my fellow employee, her husband, two kids, and in-laws off the ship and was threatening them. Of course, the two kids were crying during all this. The fellow employee asked crew members if they could call security, and they basically did nothing to handle the situation.

How should such an incident be handled when the crew members fail to take any action? I felt that the lady and her family could have gone back onboard and filed a complaint with the Security staff, but of course then they would have missed their shore excursion.

So, what would have been the proper way to handle this situation? Your thoughts, please. Thank you.

obviously the guy was a jerk or you could try reasoning and telling him he is upsetting the children. But there is no use arguing with a drunk, so I would have gone back to the boat or called 911 on the spot. Personally, my husband would have made him regret his actions, but he's an ex-marine who have grandours of rescuing damsels in distress, God love him.

but he's an ex-marine who have grandours of rescuing damsels in distress, God love him.
Tell him thank you for his service, my DH was also in the marines, he went to Vietnam twice, and he's exactly the same way, he would have made them regret it right there on the spot also. I know this is off topic, but for a quick example, we went to a wrestling event one time, and the guy in front of us kept standing up blocking our view ( we were fairly close), my dd was 8 couldn't see, and we didn't want to stand up to block the people behind us from seeing. I asked the guy if he would sit down, he didn't hear, so I tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention to no avail, so then I yelled (lots of screaming going on all around us), he turned around and yelled at me "Shut the F**** up!" DH was sitting 2 seats away from me, and in 1 step, he was right there in front of the guy and had him by the shirt collar, and told the guy "you have something to say, you say it to me, but you're not talking to her that way, now all she wants is for her daughter to be able to see, so how about sitting down before we have a real problem." The guy turned to us, apologized, and sat down. I thought for a minute there was gonna be an unscheduled match. But everything turned out fine. We were lucky on our past cruise not to have encountered such a thing, but yes, I would have gotten ahold of someone right then and had it taken care of, I can see where they didn't wanna miss the excursion, but you have no clue who it is, or what cabin they have, so taking care of it when you get back is a little hard to do. You would think with the officers that are right there as you dis-embark to go to shore would be able to settle it, wouldn't ya?:confused:

but he's an ex-marine who have grandours of rescuing damsels in distress, God love him.
Tell him thank you for his service, my DH was also in the marines, he went to Vietnam twice, and he's exactly the same way, he would have made them regret it right there on the spot also. (Must be something they go throught in training:p ) I know this is off topic, but for a quick example, we went to a wrestling event one time, and the guy in front of us kept standing up blocking our view ( we were fairly close), my dd was 8 couldn't see, and we didn't want to stand up to block the people behind us from seeing. I asked the guy if he would sit down, he didn't hear, so I tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention to no avail, so then I yelled (lots of screaming going on all around us), he turned around and yelled at me "Shut the F**** up!" DH was sitting 2 seats away from me, and in 1 step, he was right there in front of the guy and had him by the shirt collar, and told the guy "you have something to say, you say it to me, but you're not talking to her that way, now all she wants is for her daughter to be able to see, so how about sitting down before we have a real problem." The guy turned to us, apologized, and sat down. I thought for a minute there was gonna be an unscheduled match. But everything turned out fine. We were lucky on our past cruise not to have encountered such a thing, but yes, I would have gotten ahold of someone right then and had it taken care of, I can see where they didn't wanna miss the excursion, but you have no clue who it is, or what cabin they have, so taking care of it when you get back is a little hard to do. You would think with the officers that are right there as you dis-embark to go to shore would be able to settle it, wouldn't ya?:confused:

Archived