Cruising on Legend 5/13/07 with 3 yr old and 6 yr old

Stingrae

First time cruisers, so am trying to do a lot of research well in advance of our cruise.

For those of you that have done this western carib. cruise with young children.... I would love to hear from you, as to the excursions that worked out best with children this age.

I've been reading and reading, and reading more on all of these boards, trying to gather as much info as I can in order to make "realistic" decisions when it comes to the excursions. Have also been finding lots and lots of info on the internet. But now, I'm to a point where I need to hear some personal experiences. Sure hope there's a bunch of you out there that can help me!

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide!!

• 1 month later...

Stingrae,

Here are some suggestions:

Cozmel: There is a great all inclusive resort- we booked through Island Marketing @ Reef Club, $40.00 for adultls, kids $20ish over age 3. Included all you could eat and drink allday BBQ and a buffet, any kind of drinks, 2 freshwater pools, beach, non-motorized watercraft, snorkeling equipment, towels. We had a great time, kids loved the pool they never got out, so we didn't get to enjoy the beach or snorkel. Service was great. You do have to pay cab fare to the resort I think it was about $10 each way.

Grand Cayman: Semi-Submarine- like a glass bottom boat, kids will enjoy seeing the fish and coral, not great but okay.

Costa Maya: This is a great port! We did not book any excursions just hung out at the port. Lots of shopping, two pools, one on the beach overlooking the ocean, beach chairs and hamocks, the other has swim up bar. There are locker rooms and bathrooms to change the offer massages.

We had lunch at the resturant there it overlooked the beach, good music and food. I would just spend the day there. Also you will be docked you can easily go back to the ship to eat or change, and take naps.

Belize:???? We left the kids on the ship.

Have a great cruise, let me know how you like the Legend we are booked for the Western Caribbean 9/30!!!

We were in Cozumel and Belize with a 2 and 6 year old, and in all of those ports the next year with a 3 and 7 year old.

In Grand Cayman, we booked the Reef, Rays and Rum Point tour privately through NativeWay. The 3 year old wanted no part of snorkeling at the reef, but the 7 year old thought it was cool (they saw a moray eel!). At Stingray City, DH held the 3 year old, but the 7 year old could stand (I've heard this depends on the tide? Not sure). I was just a little nervous as he bobbed around just a little bit, and they stress how important it is to keep your feet on the sand. Then, we stopped at Rum Point to swim and for lunch. This portion was awsome. The beach is beautiful, perfect for young children and the lunch was good.

In Cozumel, both times, we went to Paradise Beach. There is no entrance fee, but they do ask you to buy a beverage or two. If you want to use the toys (kayak, iceberg, trampoline, etc.) you buy a wristband for (I think) $9. Another pretty easy beach with little ones. The second time, we also did the Atlantis Sub. The kids both enjoyed it, but it was a little pricey, and I'm not sure how much of an impression it made on them as it rarely comes up.

In Belize, the first time we went on our own via water taxi to Caye Caulker. I underestimated how long it would take to tender in (this was our first cruise), and I spent the day a bit stressed about missing the ship. The second visit, we took a ship-sponsored tour (our one and only, ever) of River Wallace and Altun Ha. It was much nicer not worrying about the timing of it all. The river portion was a little long for the kids, the lunch was nice, with a bit too much time for shopping IMHO, and the Altun Ha site included a relatively brief lecture by the tour guide and then a chance to climb a pretty impressive structure. Surprisingly, going up was easy for the kids. I obviously didn't let them anywhere near the edges, and I made them hold my hands the entire time. Then, we headed down before everyone else, as I made them do the stairs on their behinds (the 7 year old was not happy, but he was safe!)

In Costa Maya, we did the tour of Chacchoben with David and Ivan. It's a great site, with a lot of shade (unlike most Mayan sites). The 7 year old loves this stuff and was fascinated, the 3 year old wandered around exploring, with me right there with her. As a result, I missed a lot of the guide's speeches, but what I caught was fascinating. After this, we asked to be dropped off in Mahajual (sp?), and we found a place with tables in the sand at the water's edge. We enjoyed lunch, and the kids played in the water. It's another great beach for kids - calm water and it stays shallow for awhile. Then, while the kids played, DH and I took turns browsing along the main street.

I would just stress that the tendering in Belize is something to contend with. The second time we were there, we were a bit more than 90 minutes late getting off the ship, as huge swells were slowing the tendering down. When we left the theater, there were still Carnival excursion groups waiting to be called. As Carnival groups get precedence, I have no idea what time those doing their own thing actually got off.

The one thing that I would not leave home without for my little one is a lifevest with a loop on the back at the neck. We used it on the tenders, on boat rides (Grand Cayman and Belize), and when we were enjoying the beaches. It doesn't replace your watchful eye, but it does give you some measure of comfort. If your 6 year old is not a competent swimmer, I would bring a second one. Not sure if I'd use it at the calm and shallow beaches, but I'd be glad to have it on boat excursions.

Have fun planning, and enjoy your cruise. Since our first one with the kids, we are totally hooked. Happy sailing!

Hi I took my son to Xcaret at Playa Del Carmen when he was 8 , it's a great place for all ages and "stroller friendly"

Have a Great Time!!!!

Shirley

First time cruisers, so am trying to do a lot of research well in advance of our cruise.

For those of you that have done this western carib. cruise with young children.... I would love to hear from you, as to the excursions that worked out best with children this age.

I've been reading and reading, and reading more on all of these boards, trying to gather as much info as I can in order to make "realistic" decisions when it comes to the excursions. Have also been finding lots and lots of info on the internet. But now, I'm to a point where I need to hear some personal experiences. Sure hope there's a bunch of you out there that can help me!

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide!!

We did western Caribbean on Carnival Elation in 2005. Stopped in Progreso, Cozumel, and Belize. Our 4 year old daughter came with wife and I.

Progreso - could have just stayed on the beach. Or should have taken an excursion. Daughter came with us, but got tired of walking.

Cozumel - went to a private beach, with all-you-can-eat food & drink. We stayed a few hours, long enough for daughter to play in the sand a lot but not too long to get bored. We took a carriage ride through the city, which she enjoyed.

Belize - daughter stayed on the ship. By this time she was very comfortable with Camp Carnival. We toured Mayan ruins, and knew she wouldn't enjoy it.

Archived