What's the youngest infant you've ever taken on a cruise

NYreadytogo

Hello,

I am currently pregnant, and am exploring the possibility that if all goes well, and the baby and I are perfectly healthy, our family may wish to go on a cruise at the end of my maternity leave (the baby will be about 3 months old at that point), since I will be unable to get any vacation days for a long time after. My husband and I would go, and most likely will be accompanied by, at least, his parents and brother, and most likely my mom as well, so we'd have plenty of hands. We'd be sailing for only 5 days from the place where we live- so there will be no flying, and we would not be gone for a long stretch. So, has anyone gone on a cruise with a baby that young? Any advice or concerns?

I forgot to mention that we'd be sailing on RCL, which has no "minimum age" limit.

Thank you.

I think what you need to take into account is what the cruiselines age restriction policy is for infants to sail. I belive Carnival and RCI have the youngest at 4 months (our ds was this age when we first took him on a cruise and he did fine.) I would look into what each lines policy is concerning this before you decide to book a certain line/ship. I'm pretty sure i've seen some lines won't allow infants until 6 months old but I can't remember which ones. Hope this helps.

Happy Cruising :)

Barb

Just got off the RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas and I'm not kidding, I think there was a six-weeks old. She was so tiny (and adorable) that one of the stateroom bathtowels made her look like a newborn!

Baby_G will be just nine-months old in March when we're on RCCL's Legend of the Seas. I know, "old". :p

Hi! My youngest Cruiser was 10 months. He still wasn't crawling so in my opinion perfect - lol I would have taken him younger in a heartbeat! It's the babies who are still in their infant carrier that are the easiest! They sleep alot allowing you to experience carefree dining, the shows, the movies, etc. It's when their on the move that it's a problem! lol You'll have a great time with a three month old! Obiviously just remember to bring your stroller...

3 months sounds about perfect--Mom is recovered from birth, Baby is ubercute but not getting into trouble, colic is faded away and they're still light enough that you can just put them in a carrier in the morning and wear them all day without trouble. And to be on a cruise, with no cooking, cleaning, etc. etc... book Mom a spa treatment or 5 and skip the ports entirely.

Bliss.

Did Mexican cruise with two yr old and five month old. The baby was WAY easier. Still breastfed, took pablum and used bottled water. He sat in his little carseat everywhere.

Take backpack for shore trips, easier then strollers. Used a lightweight umbrella stroller( one that reclined though ) for ship.

I am of the opinion that babies are easy before they can crawl, no worries about them crawling around on dirty floors etc.

Hello,

I am currently pregnant, and am exploring the possibility that if all goes well, and the baby and I are perfectly healthy, our family may wish to go on a cruise at the end of my maternity leave (the baby will be about 3 months old at that point), since I will be unable to get any vacation days for a long time after. My husband and I would go, and most likely will be accompanied by, at least, his parents and brother, and most likely my mom as well, so we'd have plenty of hands. We'd be sailing for only 5 days from the place where we live- so there will be no flying, and we would not be gone for a long stretch. So, has anyone gone on a cruise with a baby that young? Any advice or concerns?

I forgot to mention that we'd be sailing on RCL, which has no "minimum age" limit.

Thank you.

You may want to confirm the "no minimum age limit" for RCL. When we booked our cruise last year, we were told that our son had to be at least 4 months old. Things may have changed, but I would double-check anyway.

Having said that, we've taken our son on cruises at 6 months, 10 months and have one coming up where he'll be 18 months. The first two were pretty easy, but we did have grandparents along on the 7-day when he was 6 months old. My biggest suggestion is to get the largest cabin that you can afford. We were lucky enough to have a Junior Suite/Mini-Suite on our last two cruises and really appreciated the extra room. We could have the crib set up in the room at all times and still have room to move around. For the most part, a cruise with a baby is very much like being at home with the baby, without the hassles of cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.

My son was almost 8 months on his first RCCL cruise (the previous cruise, I was 6 months pregnant). I thought it would be more difficult than it was. Although he was breastfed, I also brought along a small covered plastic container to mix the baby cereal and jar baby food. I never had a problem finding hot water to mix or heat the food. The little cabin fridge came in handy to store the unused jar food. I would carry a small bag in the stoller that held diapers, and the essentials so I wouldn't have to run to the room all the time. I'm not sure of the minimum age, but I could have sworn that I've seen newborns on a few of our cruises!

We homebirth and it totally occured to me that it would be a heavenly way to spend a postpartum, but they don't let pg women on after 27 weeks... lol!

:)

Seriously...massages... food for the ravenous breastfeeding mom on a whim... no cooking, no cleaning.... and all that sunshine... *sigh*

My oldest daughter was 4 months old when we cruised on NCL's Sun, and it was so easy to travel with her! Back then, RCCL had a policy that all infants must be at least 6 months old, but I know this has changed from 3 years ago.

Just remember to take more diapers, wipes and formula (if you are using it) than you think you will need, as the ship doesn't carry these items. Also remember to take any medications (infant tylenol, etc.) and know the dose that is approperiate for you child, as the doctors onboard are not pediatricians.

Have a great time!

We are taking our first cruise with our DS next month and he will be almost 2 yrs old. We plan on being pregnant again this year and I can not think of a better way to end my next maternity leave! I just wish I would have seen this post 2 years ago!!!

I also have seen small babies on RCI and they have looked very content.

We homebirth and it totally occured to me that it would be a heavenly way to spend a postpartum, but they don't let pg women on after 27 weeks... lol!

:)

Seriously...massages... food for the ravenous breastfeeding mom on a whim... no cooking, no cleaning.... and all that sunshine... *sigh*

You are so funny!!! I had thought the EXACT same thing. I was actually traveling with my mom, who is a midwife, and I thought, what better place to be postpartum than a cruise?!?!? Obviously, that's not possible, but we can dream, right???

Anyway, thanks for the smile...

• 2 weeks later...

We recently took our then 7 month old on an RCCL cruise, and we all had a fantastic time (including DS). He was very active and interested while on our various excursions (all informal and aranged by ourselves), loved looking around the ship, and loved the attention he got from the cruise staff and other passengers. He also slept great every night, better than at home (must have liked the soft rocking, not to mention getting worn out from all the new stuff he was seeing during the day). He was very well behaved everywhere, and on only one occasion did we have to bring him back to the room for some unscheduled down time (dinner was running a little slow one night and his bedtime was fast approaching).

For us, obviously it was not the same cruise experience as before DS, but it was great in a different way (just not as relaxing, obviously). I think all of our vacations for the next few years will be cruises - it just removes a lot of the hassle of traveling with a youngster.

And I second the suggestion of the earlier poster who recommended getting a larger room. We went with a JS (RCCL ship), and the tub and extra space was a lifesaver...

Archived