Caribbean vs Mexican Riveria??

Scotttyd

We have been to many of the Caribbean islands and are debating on if we want our next cruise to be a Mexican Riveria on NCL (all four major ports) or take the Carnival Valor to Belieze, Roatan Bay, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman (been there before). Are these other central american ports similiar to the caribbean island ports, how do these ports compare?? I have been to most of the major eastern and western caribbean ports, any idea??

We have been to many of the Caribbean islands and are debating on if we want our next cruise to be a Mexican Riveria on NCL (all four major ports)

Semi-unrelated to your question, but I was wondering why you woudln't go on Carnival to the Mexican Riveria?

There is no comparing the riviera to Caribbean, Caribbean wins hands down.

Hondorus is different that most ports that i have been to, Costa maya is a small village and is totally different than Cozumel.

Belize, we belize is truely a central American port, at first you don't see much but once you get out and explore, you really have a good time.

Semi-unrelated to your question, but I was wondering why you woudln't go on Carnival to the Mexican Riveria?

I am wondering the same thing. I would choose Carnival over NCL in a heart beat. We had a bad experience on NCL and have been very pleased with Carnival. Haven't been to the Mexican Riviera, but my wife and I want to go there or the Southern Caribbean next. Good luck in choosing.

I think both are great cruises. We have done a Caribbean cruise and we just did a Mexican Riviera...and we booked another Mex. Riviera (different ports) for October. I just did a review of our Mex Riviera cruise and I did a Caribbean/Mex Riviera comparsion in it. I only feel the Caribbean just edged out the Mex. Riviera and the only reason was because of the shallower depths giving way to some beautiful light blue water. I was suprised, however, to see how blue and gorgeous the water of the Pacific was at Cabo San Lucas....and wonderful sea life there too. Here is the excerpt from my review of my take on the two:

Caribbean vs. Mexican Riviera: We thought that the Caribbean would win by far...before we took this cruise. However, we have to say that it only just edges out the Mex. Riviera, in our opinion. We were very surprised at how blue the water is..no, not caribbean blue, but a very pretty deep blue...especially in Cabo. PV is just as exotic as the Caribbean ports we visited. The weather was fantastic in January and we only experienced rougher seas and cooler temperatures on the last day...and it wasn't that bad. We saw dolphins, which was very cool and something we didn't see in the Caribbean. Also, you have the opportunity to go whale watching, depending on the time of year you book.

We have been to many of the Caribbean islands and are debating on if we want our next cruise to be a Mexican Riveria on NCL (all four major ports) or take the Carnival Valor to Belieze, Roatan Bay, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman (been there before). Are these other central american ports similiar to the caribbean island ports, how do these ports compare?? I have been to most of the major eastern and western caribbean ports, any idea??

I have done both a few times now, I still take the Carribbean any day of the week. I also sailed on the Valor and hit those same ports. Thats one of the best Cruises yet !!!

Fred

I've sailed both the Carribean and Mexico and find value and interest in both. The Carribean does have prettier colored fish and reefs for snorkling though. I had a wonderful time in PV - wandering and shopping, Cabo - snorking and Mazatlan - horseback riding on a nearly deserted beautiful beach. My next cruise is going further south in Mexico to three different ports. I think it's going to be just as wonderful, if not more.

As a person who lives in the west coast, flying to San Diego or LA is certainly much easier and less expensive than flying to Florida, so that also makes a big difference for me.

Comparing Carribean to Mexico is very subjective and truthfully, I don't really care which one is "better", just get me on a ship! :D

I have also done both the Caribbean and Mexican Riviera, and while both were fabulous, I liked the Caribbean better.

Mexican Riviera has colder water, not as bright blue in color, and the beaches, while nice, are not as pretty as the Caribbean beaches. Not the white sandy beaches, but more of a grey sand and coarser.

Snorkeling was much better in the Caribbean. In Cabo, I saw a FEW fish and they were all black or grey colored. In Grand Cayman, I saw tons and tons of very colorful fish, and coral ~ much more interesting.

I will cruise the Mexican Riviera again, simply because I live on the West Coast and it's much closer (and cheaper) to fly to San Diego or Long Beach than to Florida for the Caribbean cruises. And, don't get me wrong ~ we had a ton of fun on our Mex. Riv. cruise. Just thought the Caribbean was better. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with a Caribbean cruise.

We were on the Star two years ago mid March. The water was cold, but laying out on the beach was comfortable. The Carib is def more snorkel friendly. We mostly just beached it & the boys golfed in ACA. Ziplining is very popular in PV.

Would I do the Mex Rivieria again...maybe, but probably not. There's too many other places I haven't been to.

I love NCL and Freestyle...upcoming cruise will be my 1st Carnival-traditional dining---Western Carib; but I'm still super excited.

I think it just depends on what you want to do and when you go.

I love San Diego and would love to take a cruise from the west coast. Everytime I look at pics of the Mex Riv, I just cant get excited.

I can remember Love Boat and how Doc, Gopher and Issac would talk about the Mexican Rivera ports every week on the show. I always said, Im going to be there one of these days.:p I dont think its gonna happen anytime soon.

Archived