Turtle Farm

Solomom

Hi

I will be going to Grand Cayman via Radiance of the Seas in the fall 2007. I was wondering how long a taxi ride it is to the turtle farm, admission fees (child/adult), and what they serve at the restaurant.

Solomom

Oh I wish I could remember. That was over 3 years ago and my memory is shot. :(

We did a comprehensive tour thru the ship and stopped at several places.

I dont remember it being that far at all. Sorry I am not any help to you. Others will be I am sure. :)

We took the local bus from the port area to the Turtle Farm. I think it took about 10-15 min. drive. We were there Jan.11/07.

I know we paid $12 /pp entrance but our 9 year old was cheaper for admission-not sure of the exact price. They asked us if we wanted the whole Boatswain Beach experience($$$) or just the Turtle Farm. I was happy we could just do the Turtle Farm as we did not get to do it last time we were in GC. It was a neat place-you get to hold the turtles if you want to. My kids loved it. We spent about 45 min. there. They also have a very nice bathroom facilities for washing your hands after putting your hands in the turtle tanks/touching the turtles.

We went to the turtle farm last year when we were in Cayman but the entrance fee was part of our tour price--can't help you there. They serve turtle pot pies and turtle soup at the restaurant (probably other things too, but that is what I remember) We tried the turtle pot pie and it is spicy! (too spicy for us to eat!) But I am not big on highly spiced foods--I don't know if it was cayan pepper or what but all of the family took one bite and we threw the rest away and ate ice cream! Have a great time and take the time to see the turtles--they are amazing!

Is the Turtle Farm anything more than one big tank of turtles??

Actually, I thought it was farm with pastures filled with herds of turtles. Perhaps they offer turtle back riding or milking a turtle. The kids can pet the baby turtlettes and feed them with turtle milk bottles. :)

I enjoyed the turtle farm and all it's little pastures! HA, HA; seriously, it is an effort by the government to save the sea turtles and they work on conservation and breeding. There was alot of information and they let you pick up and hold the turtles and see them from hatchlings to those that are about to be released back into the sea. They have multiple areas of tanks that you walk around and the guides help you to understand how and why they are part of the endangered species list. After my teenagers (16 and 18 at the time) got over their inital complaining (by my insistance that we see this) they enjoyed it too. It is the only place where this kind of work is going on and so I just prefaced it with this is the only place of it's kind in the world and we are going to do it! Of course they have the obligatory gift shop; but they still talk about the turtle pot pie I made them try!

From what I have read in these boards...they serve Turtle.:(

Indeed they do, but they do have other, non-turtle foods as well.

Just as in the US where pigs are raised on farms, turtles are raised on a farm in Grand Cayman. The primary function of the Turtle Farm is to raise turtles as a product for human consumption. Yes, they do release some turtles back into the ocean, but the percentage of turtles released is quite small compared to the percentage of turtles as product.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived