Tender with an infant - life jackets?

Paleochick

I have never seen kids wearing life jackets on tenders, but it's possible that some may have some life jackets aboard. I do think it would be extremely remote that they would have one for a small child, though, and it would vary from tender to tender, since most are operated independently of the cruise ship.

When you get on board, you will need to ask your cabin steward for a child's life jacket for her to keep in your cabin. If you are really concerned, you could check into taking this one ashore with you on the tender. You'd have to lug it around the whole time you were there, though.

I would suggest having her wear one of those floating swimsuits, even under her regular clothes. It would at least give you some peace of mind, and you could take it off when ashore and stick it in a bag or something if she didn't want to wear it the whole time.

I don't think they'll let you take a lifejacket off the ship. I put my twins in the wearable floating bathing suits that are a bright color so that if they did fall over, at least they'd stay afloat and we could see them. Then I just stuff the suits into the basket of the stroller. If your child is small enough, you could also carry them on your chest in a Bjorn-type thing. Since I have the two, I put them in the floaties and strap them into the stroller.

Have a great time.

First time cruiser here.... can you guys clarify something for me.... Does everyone need to wear a lifejacket in a tender...or is this discussion about suitable lifejackets for little ones an extra precaution? (a good one I think) Is getting in and out of the tender a dangerous proposition for anyone...toddlers especially? Even if you are holding them? Are they more apt to fall in the water than an adult? I can't picture it....

What has your expierence been w/ appropriate lifejackets for a wee one on the ship itself..? Are they always available? Should we bring our own?

Now I'm a bit freaked out!

No need to worry at all. Tenders are very easy and safe, and no life jackets are required. I have taken my wheelchair-bound husband on tenders and I've also taken twin babies strapped into a stroller. My twins are two and have been on three cruises, but this last one was the first time I worried about a floatation device - but only in case one of them managed to jump since they are now able to get themselves out of their stroller and I'm outnumbered, but it would still be a flook.

As far as on the ship for emergencies, the ship will provide an age appropriate life vest. It will either already be in your cabin, or ask the cabin steward and he will bring it before the drill.

Best,

Mia

My question is simply about whether or not there are kid life jackets on tenders. I don't think I've ever worn one on a tender, but I've never cruised with kids, so I don't know about that part of the question.

I just did a quick search on Webshots and found a link to a pretty typical tender:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2956523200037074096FyLEIh

You can see most people don't wear life preservers. I am a little nervous about taking my kids into that situation since boats sink (okay, so not very often, but it's something that happens). If that happens, I won't be able to swim and keep my two kids afloat. So, I really like the idea of them wearing flotation swimsuits when we tender. Getting in and out of the tender is safe and easy. Elderly (very elderly) people have to be able to do it.

Someone else will have to answer the part about whether or not the ship has tiny life vests. If they do, do they have to wear them to the muster drill? Probably, since they'd want to make sure the kids fit the vests and that parents knew how to put them on.

Yes, as stated earlier, the ship has little life vests, and the kids will need to wear them at the lifeboat drill. It's a pain, and they will complain (I know mine do), so you may want to take along something to entertain them for a little while.

I have never seen anyone wearing a life jacket on a tender, so if you're nervous about your little ones, I think the floating suits are a great idea, just to give you peace of mind if nothing else.

Archived