orient beach question?

johndana274

I have been to Orient Beach, but through RCCL, but I'm sure they are all dropped off in the same vicinity. First of all, you will have to get a cab and if you are lucky enough to find someone else going there it will be around $8.00 each. Cab area is directly behind the shopping area. All fees are the same. I was dropped off at the beginning third of the beach and walked until I found an area I liked. I rented an umbrella and chair right off the bat for $15. In my search, I went a little too far and found myself on the nude beach, turned around and selected another area. To each his own. Next time, I might just stay there.

I am considering an Eastern cruise in june myself and have questions about Orient beach as well. I will have my two kids with me and I don't want them to feel uncomfortable by the nudity. The beach looks so beautiful in the pictures I have seem and I would hate to miss it.

Is there an area that is not really frequented by the "clothing optional" folks?

I am considering an Eastern cruise in june myself and have questions about Orient beach as well. I will have my two kids with me and I don't want them to feel uncomfortable by the nudity. The beach looks so beautiful in the pictures I have seem and I would hate to miss it.

Is there an area that is not really frequented by the "clothing optional" folks?

The North End or Left End as you are looking out at the water is the farthest from the Nudist Resort which is located at the far South side of the beach. No guarantees that a nudist or topless lady may come by, but it would be few and far in between.

Just want to make sure you understand that topless female sunbathing is allowed on all parts of all beaches on the French side of the island. It's not that the far end is "nudist" and the other end is "clothed." There's no such thing as a "clothing required" section of Orient Beach. Club Orient, the fully clothing optional resort is on one end, so that is where you will see most fully nude people. You're likely to see the occassional fully nude personal strolling the length of the beach. You may see topless women sunbathing, not just strolling by, anywhere along the beach--including the end of the beach furthest from CO.

I just want to make that clear so that you will know what you might expect to see (so to speak).

beachchick

Thanks for the explanation. I have already had conversations with the kids regarding traveling and how you encounter differences in people and cultures and behaviors. As long as they are comfortable with it,I am fine as well. We are all looking foward th the beauty of the island.:)

We just returned from our cruise and we spent the afternoon at Orient Beach.

No matter where you are on Orient Beach you MAy see people topless and or nude! There were a couple of older men that seem to think that everyone enjoyed their old wrinkled up body and I mean the entire body! :D It is a wonderful beach and we had a good time. We rented a wave runner and DH enjoyed that, I was beat to death though! The nusist is a sight to see and honestly, 99.9 percent of the people that so proudly show their bums really should be covered up! :p But to each their own and it did give us and many other couples around us several good laughs for the day! The water was great!

We just returned from our cruise and we spent the afternoon at Orient Beach.

No matter where you are on Orient Beach you MAy see people topless and or nude! There were a couple of older men that seem to think that everyone enjoyed their old wrinkled up body and I mean the entire body! :D It is a wonderful beach and we had a good time. We rented a wave runner and DH enjoyed that, I was beat to death though! The nusist is a sight to see and honestly, 99.9 percent of the people that so proudly show their bums really should be covered up! :p But to each their own and it did give us and many other couples around us several good laughs for the day! The water was great!

Did you take a taxi to Orient Beach? If so, how much was the fare and where did you ask them to drop you off? Also what was the cost for the wave runner rental ? We'll be there in 3 weeks so any info would be

appreciated:) !!

Did you take a taxi to Orient Beach? If so, how much was the fare and where did you ask them to drop you off? Also what was the cost for the wave runner rental ? We'll be there in 3 weeks so any info would be

appreciated:) !!

We took a taxi to Orient Beach from where we were shopping for the Choc. It cost 12.00 to and from. WE had her drop us off at about the middle point of the beach. If you do that there is a man there that rents the wave runners and we paid him 45.00 for 1/2 hour. We also rented chairs that were 6.00 each. He will watch all of your things while you are on the wave runner, and also your things can be packed in the wave runner that has a water proof compartment. Enjoy all the sights! ;) And honestly, everyone that was around us which was at least 20 other couples from all over the world were all getting a chuckle from SOME of the sights! :p You see all kinds of people! We were not laughing at anyone just enjoying and having a good time! Enjoy and feel free to ask!

Personally, we love Baie Orientale (Orient Beach in English for some unknown reasons).

We usually take two chairs at Cacao (the blue chairs) and relax. There are a few places further to the south side of the beach that are cheaper, some offer chairs for $5 and include a free drink.

The nude protected area of the Club Orient is to the far south, though the beach is all clothing optional. You will see some topless women. That's part of French culture. We sometimes go into Marigot to pick up some nice wine and have a nice walk around. They have the weirdest flavours of soda around, including a refreshing mint.

In any case, we have always enjoyed the beach. We love people watching as people walk by. The water is perfect and the location is grand.

As far as the off-topic conversation goes... as far as I'm concerned, you respect the culture of the place that you are visiting. That's the reason for going there. When I visit the US, I realize that I can't get gravy for my chicken, vinegar for my french fries and no one knows what a smoked meat sandwich is.

As far as the off-topic conversation goes... as far as I'm concerned, you respect the culture of the place that you are visiting. That's the reason for going there. When I visit the US, I realize that I can't get gravy for my chicken, vinegar for my french fries and no one knows what a smoked meat sandwich is.

Come visit the South, you'll definitely get gravy for your chicken, ;) and the only fast food joint I know of that serves vinegar with their french fries is "Blimpies" :D

Bravo? Honestly I think I have found another one of those do what I say and not what I do! I only stated my opinion and then BC chimes in and gave her rude and presumptuous opinion! She fueled the fire and accused me of things I did not say or mean. Instead of accusing me of saying the nudest was a side show or performers (which I did not say) :rolleyes: she should have ask if that is what I meant! She is the one that is presumptuous, and please guide me or show me where I stated the nudist was a side show or performers? And also just because I said I along with several others had several good laughs does not mean I was being rude, just stating MY opinion and what we did. Also, I did not state anywhere what we were laughing about, I wish I could but I know it would not be permitted on here! It appears that some think only a few are permitted to voice their opinion:rolleyes: Well on that note this is a public forum and everyone has a right to voice their opinion and if you cannot take it I would suggest you grow a thick skin as I have which I have learned from the best and that is from people on here! :p

Fascinating logic - you get to be rude but no one should disagree with

you.

I happen to agree with beachchick and not with you - so? BTW laughing at other people in public is also pretty darned rude.

This is something I am VERY sensitive about - a physically handicapped relative of mine (wearing a bathing suit which as bathing suits often do revealed her deformity) was subjected to laughter and comments by a bunch of people just having "several good laughs" at her expense on a public beach. I freely admit that I responded to their hilarity with several choice words of my own. There is NEVER any excuse for open hilarity based on people's personal appearance unless the people in question happen to be clowns or entertainers.

My relative is not a clown and people on Orient beach in various states of dress and undress are not clowns.

Hey all, is Carib Lager a must try when visiting St. Martin. My husband and I always like to try new beverages when traveling. :D Thanks.

Carib is a light lager brewed principally in Trinidad but found all over the Caribbean. Fortunately for you, Carib is one of the basic food groups so by all means pick up a 6-pack so you can have sun, sand and suds! :D

Upon my arrival at St. Maarten my wife and I get a case of Carib before sundown the first day.

On Board I agree with you I feel you were very wrongfully attacked. You were making light of a situation that is not very common to you or your culture. I would absolutely do the same thing. I have 2 children ages 13 girl and boy 17 at first I thought maybe we should not go there. Now I am thinking it would be a kick. why? because it is not the norm for us in NJ to see people walking around nude or semi nude. There are no nude beaches in NJ. Actually I think it is against the law. So yes It would be a kick, chuckle to see nude people. Should I bring my kids. Why not. If the people walking around nude have no problem with showing their private parts I have no problem letting my kids see them. And I'm sure we will all get a chuckle out of it and they will come home and tell all their friends about it. Does that upset some of these posters? probably oh well makes the world go round and round and round. Sorry you got so beat up by people that are just way to uptight.

You know, I was thinking to myself today that I should apologize to johndana274 for helping this thread get kinda OT and heated up. I'm glad to see a few posts have been pulled. (I believe that a couple that were left on should have been removed because they are hurtful to other people in general, but c'est la vie.)

scher: I do have one question for you. Let me turn the situation around. Let's assume that people are visiting your community and see you and your family doing your thing (whatever it is and in whatever attire). Now, let's assume that those visitors "get several good laughs" out of making fun of how your family looks or what you wear. Let's assume they get "a kick" out of it. Would you be okay with that, would you not be hurt in the slightest way? If so, then, you're a stronger person than most of us because no one I know enjoys being laughed at and having others get their jollies at their expense. If you would get upset or be offended, then perhaps you might want to rethink what you're teaching your children if you tell them it's cool to laugh at other people's customs.

That's really what the issue is (for me; can't speak for others). That and not understanding that the majority of people who are nude on a nude beach truly are not there to "show off" or do anything but enjoy the beach. I do not believe this makes me "uptight" in any way; it makes me intolerant of people who get their laughs at the expense of others.

I hope you do go to Orient. It's a lovely beach; the water is warm and clear (at least when we've been there); there's tons to do (or not); there are numerous good places to eat, drink, and rent lounges/umbrellas. You can wander until you find a place that suits you and settle in for a nice relaxing time. The further you are from Club Orient, the fewer fully nude people you and your family are likely to see. I have to say though that we found the water near Pedro's and Baywatch (I think that's the one next to Pedro's) to be calmer than some of the other areas. However, Pedro's is the area right next to CO, so it could be an issue.

Hawaii697: I don't even like beer and I loved Carib! You definitely must try it.

Ephraim: What? No gravy for your chicken? You poor thing--You've been going to the wrong places. We're in CA and we most certainly like gravy on our chicken. (In fact, my DH is easily bribed with a home-cooked chicken and gravy dinner.)

And finally, the most important response:

johndana274: I don't know where Carnival drops off their pax, but there were a whole bunch of them in the Pedro's/Baywatch area when we were there. I think most ship excursions drop off closest to Bikini because we hear about that area being densely populated by cruise pax. The other dropoff that is common is Pedro's, which is where we were dropped off, but we took a taxi rather than a ship's excursion.

In any case, happy sunning (in whatever state of dress) to all.

beachchick

Many cruise excurision buses drop off at Bikini, and some at a couple beach bars to the north. Many of the taxis drop at Pedro's as the main attraction there seems to be Club Orient. Lots of fully clothed cruise people taking telephoto pictures of nude or semi-nude beach folks. Interesting though - most open gawkers and sneak photo takers we saw were middle-aged women, not the dirty old men as most would think. Have lunch in the Pedro's area on a busy cruise day and you will see what I mean.

sher -

You may be wrong about there being no nude beaches in NJ. I've never been there, but I have read there is one in the Gateway National Recreation Area. Plus there are a number of nude resorts in your state - looks like you've been missing out on opportunities to see nude people walking around right there in your backyard. Ask your kids, they probably know all about them. :rolleyes:

When you are in St. Martin on the 23rd, take them for a walk all along Orient Beach. Be cautioned though, the security guards down at the Club Orient end of the beach will react strongly if anyone tries to take photos or exhibits disrespectful behavior towards their guest.

Beachchick -

Thanks for your well thought-out and reasonable postings on this subject. Fortunately most guests to this forum are very moderate and respectful adults who truely respect others. Hope to meet you on the beach some day for that Caribe - also Ken. Looking forward to a relaxing February at SXM!

Many cruise excurision buses drop off at Bikini, and some at a couple beach bars to the north. Many of the taxis drop at Pedro's as the main attraction there seems to be Club Orient. Lots of fully clothed cruise people taking telephoto pictures of nude or semi-nude beach folks. Interesting though - most open gawkers and sneak photo takers we saw were middle-aged women, not the dirty old men as most would think. Have lunch in the Pedro's area on a busy cruise day and you will see what I mean.

sher -

You may be wrong about there being no nude beaches in NJ. I've never been there, but I have read there is one in the Gateway National Recreation Area. Plus there are a number of nude resorts in your state - looks like you've been missing out on opportunities to see nude people walking around right there in your backyard. Ask your kids, they probably know all about them. :rolleyes:

When you are in St. Martin on the 23rd, take them for a walk all along Orient Beach. Be cautioned though, the security guards down at the Club Orient end of the beach will react strongly if anyone tries to take photos or exhibits disrespectful behavior towards their guest.

Beachchick -

Thanks for your well thought-out and reasonable postings on this subject. Fortunately most guests to this forum are very moderate and respectful adults who truely respect others. Hope to meet you on the beach some day for that Caribe - also Ken. Looking forward to a relaxing February at SXM!

While we were there we met at least 40 other couples having a good time and enjoying the beach, vacation, and meeting new people. We did talk too 2 guards and they were very nice and knew we were just having fun and enjoying the sights. One was even making light of the entire situation. There is a sign posted that pic. are not permitted, but no one but -----brought up the subject about pictures at all! So this is another of the examples I gave that was used against me! There were people of all ages on that beach from end to end. There were people from later teens to 70 years old. All said hello to us and most even talked to us. :rolleyes: It gives new meaning to making eye contact! ;)

What you said to sher about her kids probably know all about the supposedly nude beaches in NJ was uncalled for! You don't know her or her kids and you generalized about something that is certainly none of your business where her children are concerned. Again, I stand behind what I have said and now we all can see the the true colors and frankly they are vivid and bright in a dull sense of humor! :D

You know, I was thinking to myself today that I should apologize to johndana274 for helping this thread get kinda OT and heated up. I'm glad to see a few posts have been pulled. (I believe that a couple that were left on should have been removed because they are hurtful to other people in general, but c'est la vie.)

scher: I do have one question for you. Let me turn the situation around. Let's assume that people are visiting your community and see you and your family doing your thing (whatever it is and in whatever attire). Now, let's assume that those visitors "get several good laughs" out of making fun of how your family looks or what you wear. Let's assume they get "a kick" out of it. Would you be okay with that, would you not be hurt in the slightest way? If so, then, you're a stronger person than most of us because no one I know enjoys being laughed at and having others get their jollies at their expense. If you would get upset or be offended, then perhaps you might want to rethink what you're teaching your children if you tell them it's cool to laugh at other people's customs.

That's really what the issue is (for me; can't speak for others). That and not understanding that the majority of people who are nude on a nude beach truly are not there to "show off" or do anything but enjoy the beach. I do not believe this makes me "uptight" in any way; it makes me intolerant of people who get their laughs at the expense of others.

I hope you do go to Orient. It's a lovely beach; the water is warm and clear (at least when we've been there); there's tons to do (or not); there are numerous good places to eat, drink, and rent lounges/umbrellas. You can wander until you find a place that suits you and settle in for a nice relaxing time. The further you are from Club Orient, the fewer fully nude people you and your family are likely to see. I have to say though that we found the water near Pedro's and Baywatch (I think that's the one next to Pedro's) to be calmer than some of the other areas. However, Pedro's is the area right next to CO, so it could be an issue.

Hawaii697: I don't even like beer and I loved Carib! You definitely must try it.

Ephraim: What? No gravy for your chicken? You poor thing--You've been going to the wrong places. We're in CA and we most certainly like gravy on our chicken. (In fact, my DH is easily bribed with a home-cooked chicken and gravy dinner.)

johndana274: I don't know where Carnival drops off their pax, but there were a whole bunch of them in the Pedro's/Baywatch area when we were there. I think most ship excursions drop off closest to Bikini because we hear about that area being densely populated by cruise pax. The other dropoff that is common is Pedro's, which is where we were dropped off, but we took a taxi rather than a ship's excursion.

beachchick

Beachchick- I laugh at my motherinlaw. She decided in her early 70's she was going to learn to be a clown. I can't believe it. I make fun of her, I laugh at her. She is not a comical person, she can't even tell a joke. She does not get insulted, she understands, What's the difference. We alll laugh at things that are not the norm to us. No biggy. Life is too short. Which is why my motherinlaw probably went to learn to be a clown, her husband died of cancer and this is what she went to do after that. I still laugh I still poke fun. She laughs too.

beachchick

I wish I knew how to just pull the one sentence out of here to quote but no sure I know how to do that. Anyway you said "you hope I don't go to Orient beach" Even more now then ever do I want to take my kids. It is another way of life, from other places and cultures, isn't that why we travel? To see the rest of the world and how other people live, and that we are all different from each other. You bet were going, and if they want to gawk, laugh or join in. To each his own. You are very close minded.

sher -

Beachchick -

Actually It's called Sandy Hook and I am there all the time. Not at the nude beach. We live 1 hour away and am in the area everyweekend of the summer. I know noone who goes there at all. To the nude part that is, so again it is not the norm. I have no problem for the people who do. And I do not go there to show my kids because it is not the norm for this area. If it is the norm however for other places so be it. And as far as my kids are concerned they can't get there without me they are not old enough. I on the other hand have been going everyweekend of the summer for 20 years. I know the ins and outs of NJ better then my kids.(sorry yours must know more then you) And if they want to go to Sandy Hook more power to them. You went to great lengths to google that didn't you?

By the way this is my last post about this topic. Cruise critic will not be happy about the arguing. I just some of you attacked at a comment that was made that was just a innocent remark. And you gang jumped her. So, so long. See you on Orient Beach in 2 weeks.

Archived