Milan airport/customs questions...?

I am flying from JFK to Milan, then on to Florence. We scheduled our flight to Florence with a long layover in Milan so we can jaunt over to see the Last Supper and Duomo then come back to the airport.

Now that we are getting closer, I have some logistical questions...

1. Does everyone go through customs and get their passport stamped when they arrive in Milan via connection to somewhere else, or only those whose final destination is Milan (or leaving the airport, like me)???

How does the luggage situation work? Do you have to walk your own bags through customs then re-check them to the final destination, or do your bags stay in the airlines possesion?

2. If this works like I plan, how much of a hassle is going back through security in Milan or any other European country? Is it like the US?

I am trying to plan my timing for reservations at Last Supper and need to know what customs and security will be like and how long it will take.

Thanks!

No-one's come back to you with any answers, so I'll do my best. I've been to Milan Malpensa once (well, one round trip) but only from the UK so I wasn't in the situation you're in. If you're flying into Milan Linate then I can't help you at all, but it's unlikely you'll arrive there from the USA.

Anyway, here goes:-

. Does everyone go through customs and get their passport stamped when they arrive in Milan via connection to somewhere else, or only those whose final destination is Milan (or leaving the airport, like me)???

How does the luggage situation work? Do you have to walk your own bags through customs then re-check them to the final destination, or do your bags stay in the airlines possesion?

What would happen in the event of a 'normal' connection I don't know. In your case, I imagine that you're going to have to recover your luggage & then go through immigration. Here's the first point where my experience is different from what yours will be: as an EU citizen I entered through a pretty short, fast queue. It's possible that non-EU citizens may have a more complex, longer experience, although IIRC. Also I didn't have to go through customs - the EU is a single customs zone!

2. If this works like I plan, how much of a hassle is going back through security in Milan or any other European country? Is it like the US?

Coming back in, however, everyone goes through the same system. I don't remember it as being especially bad. This was in May 2005, and I remember thinking that the procedure was a bit easier than at my original departure airport, Manchester in the UK. But things may have tightened up since then. I do remember that I got stuck behind an african woman who had some difficulty understanding the questions she was being asked and therefore producing the documents she was being asked for (and she had a whole wallet of documents!). So there was a bit of a holdup in my queue, but nothing major.

I have no idea about left-luggage facilities at the airport. You should also be aware that it's 30 miles from Malpensa airport to central Milan - you need to research transportation choices.

Sorry if this isn't especially helpful, but it's the best I can offer. I'm really not sure how realistic the idea of taking a 'jaunt over to see the Last Supper and the Duomo' actually is....

I am flying from JFK to Milan, then on to Florence. We scheduled our flight to Florence with a long layover in Milan so we can jaunt over to see the Last Supper and Duomo then come back to the airport.

Now that we are getting closer, I have some logistical questions...

1. Does everyone go through customs and get their passport stamped when they arrive in Milan via connection to somewhere else, or only those whose final destination is Milan (or leaving the airport, like me)???

Normally your baggage will be checked through to the final destination. Only in few countries like UK, Denmark or Ireland your baggage will be checked to the first entry airport and you need to recheck again like in the US.

Your baggage tag will not have Green Strips. Therefore customs agents in Florence know that you are not from Europe - so you it can happen that you will be asked to clear customs there.

I am trying to plan my timing for reservations at Last Supper and need to know what customs and security will be like and how long it will take.

Thanks!

Italy is part of the so-called Schengen-countries (incl. Italy, Austria, France, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland). If you enter one of this country you will have full control incl. passport but when you travel within this countries you will not be controlled anymore again.

But compared to the US: it's easy!!! Nobody ask you to fill out forms or give an interview. So coming back from the US to Europe it's really easy going.

You will have some lines for EU-citizens and non EU-citizens! Each control might take seconds i/o long minutes like in the US.

But normally: you will be checked by immigration and then you just go to exit have your dinner and then you just come back to the airport and get to the gate.

When you arrive at Terminal 1 you will find left baggage service in the arrival hall (area B). But I do not think that you will need it. If your scheduled arrival from the US and the departure to Florence is less than 24 hours it's a transfer. So your baggage will be transferred automatically to the your connecting flight.

Have a nice trip.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived