Which Childrens' Programs do you prefer - Carnival or Norwegian?

CdnCruzrs

We are considering an August cruise on either Carnival or Norwegian specifically because these lines offer a children's program starting at age 2. We have a 5 year old daughter and a 2 year old son and have only cruised RCCL to date. I would appreciate your opinions/comparisons on the Carnival and Norwegian children programs. Also, between CCL and NCL, which cruise ships/activities/food resemble RCCL the most?

Thanks!!!

Sorry, I can't be of help comparing the two Cruise lines you've mentioned - I've never Cruised Carnival before. But I have been faced with a similar situation!

We've always Cruised with Princess - and very happily I might add. When we were looking at booking our most recent Cruise my youngest was not yet going to be three. We contacted Princess directly and were told they would not make an exception to their rule (kids program begins at age 3). So, we explored our options and took our business elsewhere. Because my older two are 5 and 7 I knew the kids program would be a big part of our trip and excluding my youngest would not have gone over well.

We then found the NCL ship out of Hawaii - our problems were solved! Kids programs began at age 2 and diapers were allowed.

I'll admit that I didn't like the Cruise as much as Princess. The ship was old (the Wind) and the staff although friendly, was not as polished in the service department. But let me tell you about the kids program - it was fantastic!!! I just loved the girls who ran it (and they were Canadian to boot - lol). They definitely put together a great program. They didn't mind at all that my son was only two. And they genuinely didn't have a problem with the fact he was still in diapers. Of course we carried a pager and when he needed to be changed they would simply page. Happily, they never had too. I feared they'd page at the slightest wet diaper - but it didn't happen! I think they were only concerned about poop (of course).

We only really used the kids program at night. Day activities we joined as well, but my husband and I always stayed around for that. We enjoy our days as a family so that's how we choose to spend it. We had a great time with the family Olympics by the pool, pizza making and a variety of crafts. In the evening we left the kids from 7pm until 9pm or 10pm, depending on what we were doing. It was so nice for my husband and I to eat in the dining room alone! And of course the kids had a great time too and couldn't wait to go back the next night.

Now why don't all Cruise ships start their kids programs at age two? lol

Enjoy your future Cruise!

Thanks for your input! My daughter was a few weeks away from being 3 years and RCCL did not make exception either. However, the counsellors (Canadian as well!) were kind enough to give my daughter some crayons, paper and some craft materials that she could do in the cabin. My son was 8 mo. and 20 mo. the last two cruises. I just know that on the next cruise he will be impossible to keep still and will run amok. Not quite the vacation I envisioned! There has been a high amount of infants (under 3) on our latest cruises. If other lines changed their age groupings to include 2 year olds, I am sure that would be a huge draw for business - and a nice break for weary parents - lol!

Never been on Noregian, but my kids (7 & 8) loved Camp Carnival this week on the Sensation! They were like "are we going back." I think it is such a useful, convenient service as well as an excellent marketing tool.

It gets harder to please them as they get older I think with being used to so much/boredom and all.

Archived