should we strike out on our own?

whival

Hi all,

We'll be cruising for the first time later this year. We're going to the E. Caribbean with RCCL. We're stopping in Tortola and we definitely want to go to Virgin Gorda and the baths. The RCCL excursion is 5.5 hours (45 minutes travel time on ferry each way) with snorkel gear included. For our family (2 adults, 2 kids) the price for all four of us would be be $230 CDN or $210 USD. Is this a fair price?

It seems pricey, but on the other hand, I don't want to get left behind in Tortola and I know that if we go on a ship sanctioned cruise this won't happen.

Thoughts????

TIA

Hi all,

We'll be cruising for the first time later this year. We're going to the E. Caribbean with RCCL. We're stopping in Tortola and we definitely want to go to Virgin Gorda and the baths. The RCCL excursion is 5.5 hours (45 minutes travel time on ferry each way) with snorkel gear included. For our family (2 adults, 2 kids) the price for all four of us would be be $230 CDN or $210 USD. Is this a fair price?

It seems pricey, but on the other hand, I don't want to get left behind in Tortola and I know that if we go on a ship sanctioned cruise this won't happen.

Thoughts????

TIA

To do the ferry on your own is not difficult. The ferry docks are a short walk from the port (actually visible from the port - get directions at the Tourist Info Kiosk). For 4 doing it on your own will be about $80-$100 U.S. (total).

Either ferry service (Speedy's or Smith's) is perfectly fine - so take the one whose schedule is best for you. The ferry ride is about 40-45 minutes. The ferry will cost about $20-25 per person (RETURN) (possibly less for the kids) and you can usually get a package that includes the taxi (really an open-air bus) on VG to the Baths (even if you have to pay extra for the "taxi", it will only be a few bucks - the taxi ride is short - about 5 minutes). Basically it will be less than half the price of taking the Ship excursion.

My only proviso is that you really have to make sure you understand the return ferry times - so that you will return to Tortola in plenty of time. If your port time is limited then it would probably be better to bite the bullet and go on the cruiseship excursion. However if you have a full day in port then do it on your own and save money. It sounds complicated but it really is very simple.

Archived