scuba/snorkle mask and fins

snowsonatina

I plan to snorkle and hopefully dive in my West Caribbean cruise coming up in March. I am new to both and plan to buy mask/fin/snorkle for my snorkling excursions from teh curise. Also, I Just learned that the local PADI scuba lessons that I am taking next week also requires me to bring my own mask/fin/snorkle. I am thinking about buying just one set of mask and fin, and use them for both. I guess I will be looking at entry-level scuba mask and fin.

My questions:

1. Is it a good idea at all?

2. If I shop for such products, should I just stick with the local diving stores and is it OK to order them online? I heard that masks need to be fitted and should be tried on, so guess local shopping is the best shot. How about fins?

3. Can anyone recommend a good scuba shop in central New Jersey? Anyone with experience with Ocean Explorer at Edision?

This board has been extremely help and thanks again for your help!

snow

Leisure Pro is almost local for you, NYC. Google the name for their website. They may have a mask that is under $20. that would work fine. Not long ago they had a special mask, fins, snorkel, bag for $25. or so. Otherwise, since class starts next week, buy from the store where you are taking the course. From PADI, you will want the Open Water course, not the Scuba Diver course. The Scuba Diver class is shorter and requires a dive pro to go with you on all dives.

jimw,

Before you buy consider what type of diving and how often you will be diving. Living in NJ you have the opportunity to shore dive at the Jersey Shore. That would be considered "cold water diving" that would require a wet suit and boots. This would mean buying an open heeled adjustable fin not a closed heel tropical fin. Not sure if your check out dives will be on board or at home. Talk to your local PADI instructor.

Good luck with your certification,

Leisure Pro is almost local for you, NYC. Google the name for their website. They may have a mask that is under $20. that would work fine. Not long ago they had a special mask, fins, snorkel, bag for $25. or so. Otherwise, since class starts next week, buy from the store where you are taking the course. From PADI, you will want the Open Water course, not the Scuba Diver course. The Scuba Diver class is shorter and requires a dive pro to go with you on all dives.

Jimw,

Thanks a lot for your response. Might check out Lesure Pro in the city over the weekend. Just wanted to shop around a little, or at least become an educated buyer, instead of feeling "stuck" with the diving shop that offers the class, having to buy everything from them.

Thanks again!

snow

jimw,

Before you buy consider what type of diving and how often you will be diving. Living in NJ you have the opportunity to shore dive at the Jersey Shore. That would be considered "cold water diving" that would require a wet suit and boots. This would mean buying an open heeled adjustable fin not a closed heel tropical fin. Not sure if your check out dives will be on board or at home. Talk to your local PADI instructor.

Good luck with your certification,

Bruce,

Thanks for your response!

I will remember to buy open-hedled fin. I plan to do my checkout dives during my West Caribbean cruise coming up in March.

THanks again.

snow

If you plan on diving on a regular basis I would think twice about buying a $20 mask. You get what you pay for and although a cheap mask might be fine for snorkeling, you'll enjoy both sports more with a quality mask that is both functional and comfortable. A good quality snorkel will make your mouth happy as well.

I dive here in Montreal once or twice a summer and need to rent from my dive shop, a 7mm wetsuit as well as open heel fins for my booties. I opted to buy a 3/2mm for dives in the caribbean and closed heel warm water fins. So when I'm on vacation in the winter all I need to rent is a regulator and BCD.

If you plan on diving on a regular basis I would think twice about buying a $20 mask. You get what you pay for and although a cheap mask might be fine for snorkeling, you'll enjoy both sports more with a quality mask that is both functional and comfortable. A good quality snorkel will make your mouth happy as well.

I dive here in Montreal once or twice a summer and need to rent from my dive shop, a 7mm wetsuit as well as open heel fins for my booties. I opted to buy a 3/2mm for dives in the caribbean and closed heel warm water fins. So when I'm on vacation in the winter all I need to rent is a regulator and BCD.

Thanks for your response!

I've found some "packages" on LeisurePro (and plan to go to their store in NEw York City). Can anyone tell me if the mask/fin in the following package is good enough for snorkling and beginner's level diving in the Caribbean? Or I need something "better"?

1.XS Scuba Pacific Snorkling Package

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_1904/Context_948/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/PCKDS14.html?Hit=1

or

2. Cressi-Sub Horizon Pro-diver Snorkling Package

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_1904/Context_948/Sort_Price/DescSort_0/PCKDS18.html?Hit=1

Or Even

3. Mares Optimum-Diver Snorkling Package

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_1904/Context_948/Sort_Price/DescSort_0/PCKDS20.html?Hit=1

All you divers there, please help! Your opnion is appreciated.Thanks!

snow

I'd go with the Cressi package. I own a "big eye" mask similar to the one in the package and just love it....BUT.....having said that, everyone's faces are of different sizes so choose the mask that fits you. The people in the store can help you determine this. Try putting the mask to your face and breath in through your nose (without the strap around your head) a properly fitting mask will stick to your face as long as you are sucking air in through your nose.

Good luck.

Best Bet... go to your LDS (local Dive shop) and pick out the mask...the extra money you spend on getting a PROPER fitting mask is well worth it. Fins, snorkle and non-life support items other then a mask can be purchased on line with a good savings.

On another note about fins....I have 2 pairs. 1 open heel for my cold water dives which require booties and 1 pair of closed heel fins for warm water dives. Closed heel fins usually run about 50% oc the cost of open heels fins.

If all your diving will be warm water, stick with a closed heel fin. Most of your dive training will be in a warm water pool. When it comes time for your OW cert dive, simply rent an open heel fins for the cert dives. This will save you a little money.

I'd go with the Cressi package. I own a "big eye" mask similar to the one in the package and just love it....BUT.....having said that, everyone's faces are of different sizes so choose the mask that fits you. The people in the store can help you determine this. Try putting the mask to your face and breath in through your nose (without the strap around your head) a properly fitting mask will stick to your face as long as you are sucking air in through your nose.

Good luck.

Thanks for your response! Now I understand that fitting the mask is the major challenge. THanks again.

Best Bet... go to your LDS (local Dive shop) and pick out the mask...the extra money you spend on getting a PROPER fitting mask is well worth it. Fins, snorkle and non-life support items other then a mask can be purchased on line with a good savings.

On another note about fins....I have 2 pairs. 1 open heel for my cold water dives which require booties and 1 pair of closed heel fins for warm water dives. Closed heel fins usually run about 50% oc the cost of open heels fins.

If all your diving will be warm water, stick with a closed heel fin. Most of your dive training will be in a warm water pool. When it comes time for your OW cert dive, simply rent an open heel fins for the cert dives. This will save you a little money.

THanks ! Yes, I will go to a local dive shop (well, not the closet "local" one I guess, but it simply has more selections), and it's helpful that they have a wetsite where I can learn about the products before going there. My scuba diving class requires open-heel fins and booties (even for the warm water pool sessions) for "liability reasons". Although I don;t quite understand that, I will have to stick to it if I decide to go to their class. I can still use the open-heel fin in my Caribbean dive, I hope? Just not yet ready to buy two pairs.

Thanks again.

All open water diving certs require you to certify with open heeled fins. They want you to learn how to take them on and off at depth. PADI is very thorough and for good reason. As dangerous as diving is perceived, with the proper training it is not. With the number of certified divers out there, the number of diving deaths is almost nill.

THanks ! Yes, I will go to a local dive shop (well, not the closet "local" one I guess, but it simply has more selections), and it's helpful that they have a wetsite where I can learn about the products before going there. My scuba diving class requires open-heel fins and booties (even for the warm water pool sessions) for "liability reasons". Although I don;t quite understand that, I will have to stick to it if I decide to go to their class. I can still use the open-heel fin in my Caribbean dive, I hope? Just not yet ready to buy two pairs.

Thanks again.

Have you shopped all your local area dive shops, talked to other regular folks who have been through the shop's open water class, visited with the instructor? Some of the things you mentioned are starting to sound a little pushy on the shop's part.

Most shops encourage that you get your own mask, snorkel and fins which is not a bad idea in order to get a good fit. on the other hand if you use rental gear for the lessons you have a much better idea of what you want when you buy. REQUIRING you to buy your own is a revenue generator and nothing else. That way if you don't finish or like diving they have insured themselves of one sale. Requiring you to get a particular style of fin is just plain fishy.

Ask questions, there are lots of really good shops and instructors out there. There are also *#$holes. Its your money and your life have fun!

Kent

PADI Open Water Dive Instructor

Thanks again.

Have you shopped all your local area dive shops, talked to other regular folks who have been through the shop's open water class, visited with the instructor? Some of the things you mentioned are starting to sound a little pushy on the shop's part.

Most shops encourage that you get your own mask, snorkel and fins which is not a bad idea in order to get a good fit. on the other hand if you use rental gear for the lessons you have a much better idea of what you want when you buy. REQUIRING you to buy your own a a revenue generator and nothing else. That way if you don't finish or like diving they have insured themselves of one sale. Requiring you to get a particular style of fin is just plain fishy.

Ask questions, there are lots of really good shops and instructors out there. There are also *#$holes. Its your money and your life have fun!

Kent

Thanks again.

Most shops encourage that you get your own mask, snorkel and fins which is not a bad idea in order to get a good fit. on the other hand if you use rental gear for the lessons you have a much better idea of what you want when you buy. REQUIRING you to buy your own a a revenue generator and nothing else. That way if you don't finish or like diving they have insured themselves of one sale. Requiring you to get a particular style of fin is just plain fishy.

Kent

Kent

Kent,

What you mentioned is exactly somewhat my concern. I did find another local diving shop that offers the same PADI class now, but they also want me to buy mask/fins/snorkel/weight belt/boots etc from them BEFORE the class starts. My original plan was to take the lessons at a local university. Their PADI lopen water lessons includes the use of their equipment for pool sessions and open-water dive, so no purchase of anything is required. Unfortunately, they just cancelled their Feb/March classes due to low enrollment.

I will try the Discover Scuba lesson with that LDS next week and see how I feel after that. I am not yet commited to taking the full PADI Open Water course with them. Mean while, I want to shop around a little (and ask questions here) so as to become an educated buyer in some way. I have to admit that I feel somewhat overwhelmed with all those things I have to buy BEFORE the class (IF I go with the LDS class), and may just choose to forget about diving in my March cruise, and wait till the university offers their diving program again in April to take lessons.

Thanks for your kindest help!

snow

If you decide to hold off on the Open Water course until after your March cruise, you may still be able to do the Discover Scuba while on the cruise--that way you will get some experience in the ocean on a shallow dive with a dive pro. The ship will probably offer such an excursion. If not, it can be arranged locally while on the cruise.

Snow-

Don't know about up there, but down here in sunny FL, I have never heard of a class where you don't have to have your mask, fins, snorkel & weight belt before the wet portions of the class begin.

You definitely need to fit your mask, but the fit of the dive shop is just as important.

Do you feel comfortable with/confident in the instructor(s)?

When you go in to the dive shop, do you feel like you are getting together with friends?

Are the dive shop folks excited about diving?

Are they excited about teaching you to dive?

If you can answer these questions with a YES, you are in the right place to get your instruction. If not, keep trying dive shops until YOU feel comfortable and confident. Don't worry about the certification agency as they all teach the same basic skills (PADI, NAUI, SSI, NASE, BSAC, etc...).

(As far as buying gear goes, there are lots of opinions on keeping your LDS in business vs saving some money that have been discussed ad nauseam on this and other boards.)

If you like the folks at the dive shop, you might want to think about giving them first shot at fitting you for your mask. Remember the best mask for you is the one with the best fit, regardless of the price tag. More expensive masks tend to have softer silicone, and usually (but not always) have a better seal and fit because of the extra flexibility. Also immediately replace the mask strap with a neoprene one, and start your 'save a dive' kit with the silicone one it came with.

If $ are a concern, buy cheap fins. Mine were $30, and they have stood up to over 15 years of abuse so far. DH's pair of $125 fins only lasted 9 years. I can only think of one FL diver that typically wears closed heel fins - they are normally found on visitors & for rental. If you do get closed heel fins, think about fin socks as well so you won't wear holes in your toes.

Just relax...and have a great time. Welcome to the addiction!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

Archived