Tipping and Children????

mrsbooty

[quote name='matchman']

I like the idea of tipping for service over and above, but it does seem more and more its simply paying for service and not service above anymore and lets face it in the modern world almost everyone who works is stressed and has it rough so telling me they have it so much harder or with difficult people doesnt go very far. [/QUOTE]
You are so correct!
We have a bunch of whining babies who their mantra is...This is their wages.
Well impress me. A tip should be for good service, not the total of the bill. If you earn it then you deserve it! If you don't then you don't deserve one based on the total of the bill.
Steve:D

Hi Steve,

I am sorry didnt mean to offend anyone. It was my understanding from these boards that room stewards only get paid $1.50 per day from Carnival and then any money they get by way of tips. I just didnt think it would amount to much.

Once again sorry.

Caz

[quote name='ozcaz']Hi Steve,

I am sorry didnt mean to offend anyone. It was my understanding from these boards that room stewards only get paid $1.50 per day from Carnival and then any money they get by way of tips. I just didnt think it would amount to much.

Once again sorry.

Caz[/QUOTE]
Caz,
No you didn't offend anyone and this banter that is going on is just the usual over debated issues that have been going on for a long time.So please don't feel like you did anything wrong. We welcome your comments,questions, and suggestions!!! If I said anything that you thought was directed at you personally instead of the topic, I apoligize and it was not my intent.:o

$3.60 per guest per day is the "Suggested amount" so the average cabin pays the steward $50 per week for 2 people or $100 for 4. They have about 13 cabins and they sometimes hire a helper.
Steve

[quote name='ozcaz']Hi all,
Someone else talked about tipping bellboys etc. [COLOR=Red]This was our experience in las vegas. [/COLOR] We took the shuttle from the airport to the hotel. 4 pieces of luggage. Gave the driver $5.00 Then a bellboy came out to take the luggage. Out came the hand. Another $5.00 Then someone else took us up to our room. Yes another $5.00 After that, when we checked out we took our own luggage. $15 in tips in about 10 minutes was ridiculous.

Thanks
Caz[/QUOTE]

Caz, That was MY experience in Las Vegas, too! I felt like everyone had their hand out, it was ridiculous.

As far as the tip in a hotel room, we just leave a couple of bucks on the table each day. The waiter in the restaurant was out of line yelling at you, he should have apologized.
Ms B

[quote name='matchman']Well from reading the responses, all I can say is it appears tipping is out of control in the US. So if it moves tip it :) Sorry I am not leaving a tip in the Marriott when staying there on business to the cleaning staff when I'm paying often $200+ per night and I do expect a clean room! (And they do get above minimum wage and they are not taxed on any extra they earn! Unlike of course all the waiters and bar staff!) Or is the $200+ for something else? Can I take the bed with me or something? [/QUOTE]Don't assume that the fact you pay more for your hotel room or that you stayed in a name brand hotel means that the house keeping staff is paid more. From the local press, that is often not the case as it's always a complaint when a new hotel is built about how they only pay minimum wage and don't pay a "living wage".

[quote name='matchman']I'd love a tip on how you manage to expense those charges, I just asked my boss here who is American if I could charge a tip for my room cleaning while on a business trip and he laughed and said RIGHT!

Now if you all can think on how I get in on the tips and can increase my salary to cover all these incidentals that are not covered by expenses then I'm there for them but until then no. [/QUOTE]It probably depends on how your company pays your expenses. Our company uses US government rates for travel expenses. These rates are broken into per diem for lodging, meals, and incidentals. The incidental rate of $3 per day is meant to cover such things as tips -- not a lot but then again, the meal rate is very generous in most cases. I realize some companies pay actual expenses rather than per diem but I think in those cases employees stay in much nicer places than those of of who are limited to per diem rates end up staying.

Okay... so I am needing a Tipping 101 summary.... you tip baggage people, maitre d's, wait staff, room steward and Camp Carnival people... any specific amount for each, or just the lump sum of $10/person/day to your SS card?

Getting more confused the more I read!! :o

Baggage People: $1-$2 per bag (people who take your luggage at the port)

Room Service: $1-$2 per order (we keep $1 bills in our room for this)

Maitre D: $5 on last night, if you want; more if he's helped you out on a problem or is extra friendly at your table

Camp Carnival: up to you, depending on how much you used the service....they are paid more than room stewards/wait staff, so it doesn't have to be as much as them

Room Steward/Wait Staff: that's what the $10 per person, per day is for. Some people tip extra for extra good service........at your discretion.

Since we're on the tipping subjest, I leave in a month with 2 girls, 6 & 4, on the Conquest and I really need more specifics on tipping the Camp Counselors. I am assuming my kids will love it and will want to spend days at sea with them and nights at the camp. In fact, I think I am going to have a hard time getting them out of camp to join us. Assuming that we will be "frequent flyers" at Camp and we are satisfied with their care, what do you think would be a fair tip? Am I tipping 20 people or am I walking around handing envelopes out to specific counselors? Disney wouldn't take tips so I am unsure on what, who, when, etc?

Steveaaaaa- just because the staff comes from "poor" countries doesn't mean they don't deserve a tip- they work very hard for them!!!!!
I bet you are sure on the phone complaining if something isnt right with your cabin though.
We've had outstanding stewards and waiters and some that "just did waht was required". The outstanding ones were always tipped more at the end of the cruise, the average ones received what was on sign and sail.
I cant understand why someone wouldnt want to tip the recommened amount....it's very small for what they do!!!!

[quote name='iluvdoxies']
I cant understand why someone wouldnt want to tip the recommened amount....it's very small for what they do!!!![/QUOTE]

As a tipped employee, I couldn't disagrree more!!!
Why tip the " recommended" amount of money, if you don't get the "recommended" amount of service???? I do NOT expect to get tipped the "recommended" 15-20% gratuity if my service is not worthy of it!!! I know that everybody has an "off day", hey it just happens! We know that the next time, you've got to go the extra mile to make it up to the client. But you can't have an "off week" and expect to get tipped the recommended amount!!!

This has happened on both of my cruises. We had wonderful waiters and horrible stewards. I don't mean marginal-I mean horrible!!

My description of horrible???

The nightly canapes we ordered in our "romance package" on our RCI cruise remained in our room sometimes for 2 full days!!!! (smoked salmon, caviar, fois gras-yummy!!!)

Three or four requests for clean towels to be brought to our room before finally getting dressed again and going to to the purser's desk ourselves to get them.

Garbage cans that were NEVER emptied, the entire cruise in our sitting area.

Stewards who insisted we leave our room NOW or the room wouldn't get done since it was almost thier break time. And it wasn't done, even after thier break!!

These people do NOT deserve, nor did they get the "recommended" tip.

I EARN my tips, and have made a great living at it! My AVERAGE tip is over 25%. I am the first one to admit when I haven't been on my mark. I never expect a tip just because I showed up for work. That would be incredibly presumptious of me!

Karen

[quote name='iluvdoxies']Steveaaaaa- just because the staff comes from "poor" countries doesn't mean they don't deserve a tip- they work very hard for them!!!!!
I bet you are sure on the phone complaining if something isnt right with your cabin though.
We've had outstanding stewards and waiters and some that "just did waht was required". The outstanding ones were always tipped more at the end of the cruise, the average ones received what was on sign and sail.
I cant understand why someone wouldnt want to tip the recommened amount....it's very small for what they do!!!![/QUOTE]
Please explain??

Why is the recommended amount small? No way does the steward earn $104 for just servicing my cabin.. In this country the USA, he would have to work 18 hours at our minimum wage level to earn that. I figure they work about 3 1/2 hours per cabin per week at the most and I usually get the bad ones.. Am I wrong?
Just because the cruise lines states X is the minimum are we all to follow?Who are they to decide? They don't want to pay them so they create this tip thing to pay them.
The Maitre'd is a salaried officer.Why is he tipped.
Yes I am on the phone if something is wrong which is usually all the time.How difficult is it to get soap in the soap dispenser.
I am going to start another topic on what is wrong with your cabin so you can see how many people have to deal with things being wrong from the start and this all goes back to the suggested minimum.At the minimum, the room should have everything working.
STeveaaaa

[quote name='shellgoodman']Since we're on the tipping subjest, I leave in a month with 2 girls, 6 & 4, on the Conquest and I really need more specifics on tipping the Camp Counselors. I am assuming my kids will love it and will want to spend days at sea with them and nights at the camp. In fact, I think I am going to have a hard time getting them out of camp to join us. Assuming that we will be "frequent flyers" at Camp and we are satisfied with their care, what do you think would be a fair tip? Am I tipping 20 people or am I walking around handing envelopes out to specific counselors? Disney wouldn't take tips so I am unsure on what, who, when, etc?[/QUOTE]

I know there have been other threads on this subject so you may want to do a search or start a new post.......might be easier to get your specific question answered. I think the counselors pool their tip. Also, there will be specific counselors for each age group so I guess you can give directly to them. I remember there being a family get together for Camp Carnival on the last night, maybe this is when the parents extend their thank yous.

• 2 years later...
[quote name='NHLady']As a tipped employee, I couldn't disagrree more!!!
Why tip the " recommended" amount of money, if you don't get the "recommended" amount of service???? I do NOT expect to get tipped the "recommended" 15-20% gratuity if my service is not worthy of it!!! I know that everybody has an "off day", hey it just happens! We know that the next time, you've got to go the extra mile to make it up to the client. But you can't have an "off week" and expect to get tipped the recommended amount!!!

This has happened on both of my cruises. We had wonderful waiters and horrible stewards. I don't mean marginal-I mean horrible!!

My description of horrible???

The nightly canapes we ordered in our "romance package" on our RCI cruise remained in our room sometimes for 2 full days!!!! (smoked salmon, caviar, fois gras-yummy!!!)

Three or four requests for clean towels to be brought to our room before finally getting dressed again and going to to the purser's desk ourselves to get them.

Garbage cans that were NEVER emptied, the entire cruise in our sitting area.

Stewards who insisted we leave our room NOW or the room wouldn't get done since it was almost thier break time. And it wasn't done, even after thier break!!

These people do NOT deserve, nor did they get the "recommended" tip.

I EARN my tips, and have made a great living at it! My AVERAGE tip is over 25%. I am the first one to admit when I haven't been on my mark. I never expect a tip just because I showed up for work. That would be incredibly presumptious of me!

Karen[/quote]

Good points.

I do feel your pain. On our first Conquest cruise I had kind of forgotten the $60/day I was going to need for tips. My teenagers were pigs in their room and slept half the day away so the steward couldn't get in there. That being said I know he had to check back a lot to see when he could get in there. I'd much rather that tips are worked in to the price of the cruise, but that is just me. I did tip over and above to our server and assistant, and room steward on the last night. I never tip the maitre'd as I have never seen nor spoken to him on a cruise. I have not tipped in camp carnival as my youngest didn't participate much - just kind of came and went. On a recent visit to Ruby Tuesdays the bill reflected 3 tip amounts on the bottom - 15%,18%, and 20% - I suppose as a guide for diners. My question is this: It was calculated on the entire bill (tax included). I never tip on the whole bill, but the subtotal before tax. What do you all do?

[quote name='steveaaaa']I was just catching up.:D
Until it is locked I assume its still open.;)
Steve[/quote]

...aren't you meeting with "W" today to present your case for cruise ship tipping regulation:confused: :rolleyes: :p

...LORDY I hope he does not go dig up all of the old tipping threads...

[quote name='AdmiralJohnson']...aren't you meeting with "W" today to present your case for cruise ship tipping regulation:confused: :rolleyes: :p

...LORDY I hope he does not go dig up all of the old tipping threads...[/quote]

Actually it falls under advertising regulations.

WOuld like the old threads dug up?I can do it.

[FONT=Arial]I’m a diggin up bones
Exhuming things that’s better left alone
I’m resurrecting memories of a love that’s dead and gone
Well tonight I’m sittin alone diggin up bones[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]--Randy Travis[/FONT]

[quote name='AdmiralJohnson']...aren't you meeting with "W" today to present your case for cruise ship tipping regulation:confused: :rolleyes: :p

...LORDY I hope he does not go dig up all of the old tipping threads...[/quote]

well, he dug up a 2 1/2 year old thread on being downgraded (which i think he did by accident), but i have managed to temporarily divert it into a Soprano's thread, seeing as there was no useful info on it to begin with. :p

[quote name='truecruiser']well, he dug up a 2 1/2 year old thread on being downgraded (which i think he did by accident), but i have managed to temporarily divert it into a Soprano's thread, seeing as there was no useful info on it to begin with. :p[/quote]

Yeh, I goofed.:o
I meant to link it to another thread and I don't know:confused: .
I screwed up and posted and thats that.What can I do.The tipping threads have me all confused I guess.:D

Steve

[quote name='tribbs1']I do feel your pain. On our first Conquest cruise I had kind of forgotten the $60/day I was going to need for tips. My teenagers were pigs in their room and slept half the day away so the steward couldn't get in there. That being said I know he had to check back a lot to see when he could get in there. I'd much rather that tips are worked in to the price of the cruise, but that is just me. I did tip over and above to our server and assistant, and room steward on the last night. I never tip the maitre'd as I have never seen nor spoken to him on a cruise. I have not tipped in camp carnival as my youngest didn't participate much - just kind of came and went. On a recent visit to Ruby Tuesdays the bill reflected 3 tip amounts on the bottom - 15%,18%, and 20% - I suppose as a guide for diners. My question is this: It was calculated on the entire bill (tax included). I never tip on the whole bill, but the subtotal before tax. What do you all do?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]TX sales tax is @8.25%, if service was good I double the tax amount. if service was better/worse than "good" i adjust accordingly:) if i had drinks (alcohol) which are already taxed in TX i again adjust accordingly:D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived