Best Places to Snorkel in Cozumel

Sophie0319

We're going on a 4 night cruise out of New Orleans so we will have one full day in Cozumel. We want to spend the day snorkeling. I've heard there is a state park, Chankanaab, that is not too far from where the ship docks. Is this a good place to go snorkeling? How far from the ship is the park? Doe anyone have other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

The coral at Chankanaab is all dead, and the admission is expensive. Take a taxi to Dzul Ha (closer to the cruise ship terminal). The reef there is alive with lots of fish. Last time we were there, as long as you bought a drink or snack, admission into the water was free.

We're going on a 4 night cruise out of New Orleans so we will have one full day in Cozumel. We want to spend the day snorkeling. I've heard there is a state park, Chankanaab, that is not too far from where the ship docks. Is this a good place to go snorkeling? How far from the ship is the park? Doe anyone have other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Another alternative is to walk downtown to the piers and ask around. We were able to go with a local in his small boat who took us to some local snorkel reefs and even supplied a guide for less than what the ship wanted to charge. We also had all the soft drinks and cervesa (after the snorkeling) we wanted. With just my wife, my son and me, we had a great time snorkeling on three of the reefs.

Randall

We also went to Dzul Ha....great place to spend the afternoon. We took a Taxi ride to get there and got a little table when we got there. We had our 2 1/2 yr old so my wife and I took turns snorkling. The down side is that there really isn't a beach there. There was enough sand where all the tables were to keep our little guy occupied.

After a nice lazy afternoon we took a taxi back....they regularly stop at Dzul Ha...nothing to worry about there....and did a little shopping before getting back on board. It was our simplist stop on our cruise but one of the most enjoyable.

Only one word of caution. Have been to Cozumel many times, snorkeling both off the beach and on boat tours out to the "big reefs." You need to know who you are getting to take you because there are some pretty strong currents at times. I've been in them. They're great when you're working with them in the right way--you don't even need to kick. But trying to go against them would wear you out in a hurry. The person who takes you needs to be knowledgeable of those currents and know where to put you in to the water and which direction the current is going that day. Would also say that in order to go out in a boat to the deep stuff you need to be a good swimmer. To each his own, but I would personally look for a local dive operator to take me out rather than a local with a boat.

Twice now we've done the Fury Catamaran sail and snorkel, and we loved it both times. The snorkeling is fun, the sailing is magnificent, the beach break is great, and the sail back with open bar is a blast! This is the best shore excursion we did, bar none.

We have done that twice also. Both times were great. Actually thinking of doing it again in April.

Archived