GTY cabin was assigned - questions

jltnova

We are booked on AOS departing 2/25 out of San Juan. I just checked my reservation online and noticed we were assigned a cabin. We booked an inside gty last weekend because a really good deal became available. Turns out our gamble paid off because we were upgraded to oceanview. Granted it's on deck 2 but we traveled on Explorer last year w/ OV on deck 2 and had no complaints. I noticed the assignment said Oceanview Stateroom Access and didn't know what that meant - when I looked at the deck plans it's a handicap accessible room. I didn't request one - is it common to get put in one if you book a GTY? From the look of the plans the room looks alot bigger - is that the case? If so - my 6'6" husband will be much happier!

-Jen

I have been in the handicap rooms on other RCCL ships and they are a bit wider - so as to allow for a wheelchair. You will also notice wider doors and no 'step up' to the bathroom. The bad news for your tall husband is that everything is shorter - again, think wheelchair bound people.

Thanks!

A lower sink and closet wouldn't bother us so much nor would the wider doors, etc. Do you know if the shower is lower too or is that adjustable at all?

I know on RC's website the description I think says the shower head is handheld which may be fine. I know on the Explorer my husband was taller than the shower in a regular room but it dealt with it - it was no different than alot of showers we encountered in Europe.

Yes it is common to get a handicap cabin when you book a guarantee or shortly before departure. The cruise line usually keeps the handicap cabins in reserve unless a request is made for one, in case they have a late request for one by a handicap person. Usually because there are so few of them a person needing one will book early to ensure getting one. Then close to departure if available they will release them to the general public or assign them to someone with a guarantee in order to fill or sell off the ship. This happened to us for our last cruise which was booked only three weeks before departure.

Yes, typically they are at least 50% larger to twice the size of a regular cabin and yes 6'6" DH should be happy.

Thanks!

A lower sink and closet wouldn't bother us so much nor would the wider doors, etc. Do you know if the shower is lower too or is that adjustable at all?

I know on RC's website the description I think says the shower head is handheld which may be fine. I know on the Explorer my husband was taller than the shower in a regular room but it dealt with it - it was no different than alot of showers we encountered in Europe.

Our shower head in the handicap cabin we had on our last cruise was adjustable as to height and could be hand held. Basically it was a hand held head that mounted or clipped onto a vertical bar so the height and angle of spray could be adjusted. I'm 6'1" and had no problem placing it over my head. Both bathroom and shower stall being able to accomodate a wheelchair were very large.

I joked that the bathroom on that cruise was as large as the cabin on our first cruise and it was not far from the truth as that first cabin was pretty small.

Archived